What should wife carry

This is a discussion on What should wife carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You need to let her try a Smith M&P 9c. It has the three different backstraps depending on her hand size. The 9c seems to ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What should wife carry

You need to let her try a Smith M&P 9c. It has the three different backstraps depending on her hand size. The 9c seems to be a nice gun. I just bought one. The grip is much smaller than the Glock 26/27.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    take her to a gun shop and let her hold and touch as many firearms as possible, let HER find one that feels good.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    My wife currently carries a SP101 DAO (spurless hammer) around the house, and she will be carrying it everywhere as soon as her permit gets here. She really enjoys shooting it, but I am trying to move her up to a bigger caliber. She told me that she would give my XD .40 a try next time we go to the range.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

5 shot revolver like the taurus CIA w/ concealed hammer ? Think caliber 1st then fit/size . IMO you want a caliber that will stop a threat immediately but yet is still controllable for your wife . Also what's cotrollable with 1 hand because 2 isn't always the senerio or option .

From one female to another I'm a snubbie kind of girl. I have small hands as well as a small frame to conceal my weapon on and the S&W 642 feels like it was custom made for both. It weighs all of a pound and I actually forget it's on my person at times.lol It's hammerless so no snagging in purse or where ever you carry it. I've heard some say it has alot of kick but I think that can be subdued within reason(it is a snub) by personal ammo choice. I typically load it with Speer Gold Dots 135 or 125gr +P but I also have tried Federal 110gr Hydra Shok specifically designed for less recoil and flash and I can tell the difference. I live in an apt. and when home I load the Fed but when out and about it's usually the GDs. Opinions and recommendations are great food for thought but in the end it's a very personal choice usually decided within the first few seconds in your hand. Sort of like a kiss it's either magic or not.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    He would be talking recoil which is brisk in the P3AT.

My wife is scarcely larger than yours tngunner and prefers the full-sized 1911 .45 ACP over all others. She always expresses confidence and enthusiasm over the big Colt she's known to tote.

Handgun shooting is more finess rather than brute strength. I think that women (men too) do best with a large handgun chambering a highly regarded cartridge that they can deftly manage rather than the "chopped and channeled" versions that shoot effective rounds. Marginal cartridges, forget 'em.

Rathar than this business of "I'd rather have___ with me than a bigger gun that is inconvenient to tote... I won't actually carry... I leave back at home", I do my best to make allowances and suffer the inconvenience to be able to carry a handgun that I'd select as a first choice if I knew I was going to defend myself with a handgun. My convenient P3AT sees scant use.

Only my opinion, but the concealed carry market has yielded many handguns that simply are too stunted.
    GMTA.

I'm not really a "great mind" but I do agree with you 100% and couldn't have said it better sir.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    He brisk

Handgun shooting is more finess rather than brute strength. I think that women (men too) do best with a large handgun chambering a highly regarded cartridge that they can deftly manage rather than the "chopped and channeled" versions that shoot effective rounds. Marginal cartridges, forget 'em.

Rathar than this business of "I'd rather have___ with me than a bigger gun that is inconvenient to tote... I won't actually carry... I leave back at home", I do my best to make allowances and suffer the inconvenience to be able to carry a handgun that I'd select as a first choice if I knew I was going to defend myself with a handgun. My convenient P3AT sees scant use.

Only my opinion, but the concealed carry market has yielded many handguns that simply are too stunted.
    Pretty much how I see it. I'll do what's necessary to conceal and carry a large handgun that I can shoot well with effective ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by sciencegal29 View Post
    I prefer my Taurus titanium 38 revolver. It's lightweight and the revolver has less recoil.

Let her try out what she likes. Also, you can always try different grips. I usually switch out the grips to something more comfortable than the stock grips.
    After shooting all my guns, my wife went out and bought the Taurus titanium also. She won't let me shoot it, just like she won't let me drive her car (unless she needs gas), but it really works for her!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links