What should wife carry

This is a discussion on What should wife carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question for the forum. my wife wants to get her carry permit and I would like to know what would be some ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should wife carry

What should wife carry

I have a question for the forum. my wife wants to get her carry permit and I would like to know what would be some good gun possiblities for her. she is 5'0 102 lbs small hands. I carry a taurus 24/7 .40, springfield 1911, kel-tec 3AT .380. springfield XD .45.
    she has shot my guns which are to big for her. Any suggestions? We don't have a range around here with rental guns, it would be nice, but not an option.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Take a look at the S&W M&P 9 compact, my wife has sold at least 4 of them to women shooters in the last 3 months, everyone seems to like them.

A .380 is better than nothing, but IMHO it's the bare minimum for stopping a threat.

Your wife should carry the biggest caliber and package possible.

The Keltecs are nice little guns, but they aren't a joy to shoot, and you'll want her to actually shoot the gun.

Take your wife to the gun shop, and have her play with a couple of different models.

You might also want to check out THIS list of other small reasonably priced yet fun to shoot 9mm guns from a woman's perspective.

A lot of GUYS always recommend the J-Frame .38, while this is a good candidate, it's not the only answer.

hold on. the kel tech is too big???
    are you talking size or recoil here?

I would suggest going to a gun show together and have her feel as many guns as possible. See which one feels right.

Couple of suggestions.
    1. Kel-tec PF9
    2. J-frame because you can change out the grips for a perfect fit
    3. Taurus Millinium Pro line
    4. Bersa Thunder line

Hope this helps.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Mine carries a laundry basket. Uh oh, she's looking over...I better go.

I'm 42 yrs old and I can assure you I know not one whit more about women than the day I was born. Therefore, I'm fully qualilfied to say she'll love the Kahr P9 because of it's smooth trigger, compact grip size, and simplicity. Of course J-Frame, SP101 ....

I further propose that we begin a gun store, selling handguns purchased for wives. "Mint condition still in box" ... whaddya think?? Or maybe an exchange program? We each donate $ 1.00 and that buys a couple small pistols. Everyone who donated $ 1.00 will then be able to 'time share' that pistol for their wife. If a woman carries maybe once a year this becomes a very affordable option. Comments ???

get here a bunch of different types and let here decide what she wants to carry. LET HER DECIDE not you us or the shop keepers.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

He would be talking recoil which is brisk in the P3AT.

My wife is scarcely larger than yours tngunner and prefers the full-sized 1911 .45 ACP over all others. She always expresses confidence and enthusiasm over the big Colt she's known to tote.

Handgun shooting is more finess rather than brute strength. I think that women (men too) do best with a large handgun chambering a highly regarded cartridge that they can deftly manage rather than the "chopped and channeled" versions that shoot effective rounds. Marginal cartridges, forget 'em.

Rathar than this business of "I'd rather have___ with me than a bigger gun that is inconvenient to tote... I won't actually carry... I leave back at home", I do my best to make allowances and suffer the inconvenience to be able to carry a handgun that I'd select as a first choice if I knew I was going to defend myself with a handgun. My convenient P3AT sees scant use.

Only my opinion, but the concealed carry market has yielded many handguns that simply are too stunted.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    hold on. the kel tech is too big???
    are you talking size or recoil here?
    yes the recoil, she does not like it. I bought the kel-tec for a ccw and don't really like it as far as shooting. its a good gun just not fun to shoot, 90% of the time I carry my taurus

Read www.corneredcat.com . It is written by a very smart lady and is aimed for women and guns.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Senior Moderator
    My wife likes revolvers and has claimed my Taurus 605

MNBurl has made good suggestions. I would second giving the Taurus Millinium Pro line a try if she doesn't like snubnosed revolvers
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    Read www.corneredcat.com . It is written by a very smart lady and is aimed for women and guns.
    FTW

I was about to suggest this site.

My wife is small with small delicate hands. She can shoot anything Kahr makes, and most 1911's. Go figure. She has a short trigger finger though, and revolvers generally don't work for her. Everyone is different. Rent guns of all sizes and calibers for her to try.

My wife is about to get a CW9 to match mine.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

My wife has a M&P compact. She is even a bit smaller than your lady (4'10 95lbs). She loves the M&P but I haven't been able to find the "right" ccw holster for her. She likes the purse idea (I'm not a fan, unless she is w/ me). I was thinking about the smart carry for her. Any suggestions/comments on holsters for tiny chicks?

Both the Sig P239 and the H&K P2000 SK have small grips and manageable recoil in 9mm. There are a number of threads here with discussions of the two.

-john

My wife didn't like my M&P9c, she didn't like the grip on it. She did however take my Bersa Thunder .380cc. Took her to the range to try a few guns, on the ride back she told me to not even think about carrying the t380 anymore. FYI the wife is 29y/o 5'2" 120lbs.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links