thinking of a new gun

This is a discussion on thinking of a new gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; just looking for some input on the Taurus MILLENNIUM 145. I have the Taurus 450 snub and I love it. It goes boom every time ...

Thread: thinking of a new gun

thinking of a new gun

just looking for some input on the Taurus MILLENNIUM 145. I have the Taurus 450 snub and I love it. It goes boom every time I squeeze the trigger and is alot more accurate than any other snub I have shot. But jams in an auto pistol is not a good thing. Anyone have one of these things? I am presently carrying an aluminum frame .45 Colt Combat Commander with too much sentimentality involved and too high of a pricetag to carry around.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

2. Remove Ads

I can't help you because I'd prefer to carry your .45 Colt Combat Commander over the new stuff.

Everyone will have a deffierent opinion about the Taurus brand. I had a 905? that worked flawless for two years before it was sold. My brother has two taurus wheel guns that both show hard rubbing of the cylinder against the frame.

As far as their pistols go, I do not like them. I have never owned one, but have shot three.

I would look into another Colt .45 or for a lighter carry piece, check out Kahr, or glock.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

As a rule, I carry either my Les Baer Supertac with the 1 1/2 inch set up or a Baer Thunder Ranch Commanche. Both have run flawlessly, and to me, that's all that matters. If I carry something different as my primary, it's a Sig.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I had a Taurus pt-140 which ran flawlessly for about 500 rounds. It was my primary carry, and it was reliable, accurate, and a general good shooter. However, I knuckled under to doubt after spending time on the Taurus Forum, and seeing the numerous reliability issues; everything from jams to recoil springs shooting out the front of the gun. After a while, I felt that I didn't want to trust my life to it. So, I sold it and got a Sig p-239 to replace it.
    Go on the Taurus forum and check out the issues ,if any, with that particular model.

I have 2 guns by Taurus, a 24/7 45cal and a 617 revolver. I've read the posts about Taurus reliability issues but can only tell you I have not experienced any with either of my guns.

I carry a PT145 MilPro daily and like it. Has eaten everything I've fed it with no problems. I still don't like the Heinie sights though.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

I carry a PT 145 3rd gen. I have about 700rd though it. It has a little snap to it because of the small polymer frame and a 45acp coming out the end. I have so far not a single problem. I like the Heinie sights.

Thumbs up Pt 145

In my humble opinion, the PT145 is probably one of the best subcompact 45's on the market. With the ability to have 11 rounds of 45 on board of a subcompact, it's hard to beat. I'm working on over a 1,000 rounds with mine without any type of ammo issue.

Taurus has had issues in the past but from all indications, the PT145 is more than likely one of their best products to date.
    Springfield XD40SC
    Springfield XD9 Tactical
    Taurus PT145 Stainless
    Sig 22 Mosquito
    NAA .380 All Stainless

Make sure you get the 3rd generation Pro model, the earlier ones had the problems. I had one and sold it, actually kind of miss it now. I ahd no issues with it. I really did not like the sights, but it packed a serious amount of firepower in a small package. I also liked the manual saftey on it (pretty simalar in placement to a 1911), and the second strike capability. It is a pretty underestimated gun, I would buy another one, and also recommend it to someone, as long as it is a Pro model.

I had a Taurus PT145 about 6 years ago...one of my first guns for CCW. Didn't like it...traded it off...
    In fairness, I've heard that they are a better weapon now.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

stcking with my Commander it looks like..... maybe a long range target rifle instead of a new carry. Maybe I will just build a custom .45 for laughs and giggles.... hmmm
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Couldn't believe my eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead45 View Post
    just looking for some input on the Taurus MILLENNIUM 145...I am presently carrying an aluminum frame .45 Colt Combat Commander.
    I had to read this twice. I couldn't believe a US Marine would shun a Colt 1911 for a Brazilian plastic pistol.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I know ,, I know ... Ashamed I am. But check out my new thread, I think I am going to build a new commander. My old one is my legacy and is my sons .. since he turned 21. I just keep it and wear it , cause I think it is still mine. So I am gonna build a new one. Caspian parts I think.
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Got to tell you...I'm a revovler kind-of-guy. I carry the 642 in my pocket and my GP100 is my offensive weapon. I do, however, have the 2nd Generation DAO Taurus Millenium Pro PT145 on my night stand for home defense. This is one awesome 10 + 1 .45 ACP pocket cannon!

I fire a couple of magazines offhand every range trip...and I love it...for a bottom feeder.

I have carried it in a high noon holster on occasion.

It is picky on ammo. I use 160 grain Corbon DPX out of this short barrel and have never had a problem with it...'cept having to "lock-tite" the front sight back on after it worked off after a couple of thousand rounds. I prefer DAO...cuz it is just like my revovlers.

Links