Crimson Trace Question

Crimson Trace Question

This is a discussion on Crimson Trace Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've asked this on another board....... but who has one and do I need one. They sure look like they would be the thing to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crimson Trace Question

Crimson Trace Question

I've asked this on another board....... but who has one and do I need one. They sure look like they would be the thing to have on at least one pistol...... just looking for some input from folks out there.
    Only thing holding me back right now is the cost........

Thanks in advance,

JP
    Sig P239
    Sig P238
    Glock 17
    Glock 36
    S&W 60
    WHAT ELSE COULD YOU ASK FOR?

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I have toyed with the idea of a rail mount laser, or laser grips on a house gun, but not for carry.

VIP Member
    I just bought a S&W 1911PD with CT grips. I dunno, I really don't think I'd do it again. They're nice and all but I just don't think I'll really use them. Maybe it's just me. I prefer a SureFire flashlight with momentary button and night sights on my gun.

Here's the 1911PD:
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have the defender series on my 640.
    http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Pro...2/Default.aspx
    I was interested in this one because they don't extend past the bottom of the frame, and the price was right. I'm quite happy with them. It's more accurate than I thought at different distances, and more comfortable with magnums than the boot grip- to me anyway.
    But no, you don't need one. But if you want one, they're nice to have.

The laser could be a POSSIABLE deterence and aiming aid in a SD situation.......a LEO buddy has some funny stories about BG's reactions to his taser and sidearm lasers......but don't rely on it. Train to fight with your sights.

I have a CT on a G23 and love it there.....but it's not for me to rely on in a life or death situation. I'm just as good a shot without it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I have CT on my 1911 and it is more of a novelty factor. They do not show up good in bright sun and remember the laser works both ways. In a hiding situation the BG can see where the laser is coming from
    When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: Luke 11:21

I had a set on a SP101. It was trick, BUT you'll get lazy and use it for a sighting all the time instead of depending on your aim thru the gun sights. So...I sold it. I think Tritium nite sights are a better idea.... or maybe if I was a cop and used it correctly as the tool that it is. I would keep it.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Ron
    I have them on my S&W 642 and like them a lot. At the distances I would likely be using my 642, I believe that they help me pick up center of mass more quickly. I have the Model 405 and they also help take up a bit of the recoil.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Immediate Decisive Advantage.......Who does not want every advantage they can have, in an allready bad situation(when the guns come out). I love my CT.

VIP Member
    I have the Crimson's on my 642 and love it. Remember they can be turned off if you want to practice without them or just don't want to use it.
    I have the tritium sights on my XD and love them too, probably even more than the CT. But for a snubby, I'll stick with the Crimson Trace.

I wouldn't want one, but I put one on my wife's S&W 637...seems OK, at least she likes it. When home alone, it gives her a little more confidence...
    If someone breaks in, I want her to know when she's aiming at my 53" HDTV...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For some reason I have had a ton of performance issues with my CT grips on my Colt 45. I have never known anyone to have functional issues except me. Mine went from a "." to a "I" during my CCW exam. As soon as I get them back from CT "3rd time" they are going on gunbroker and I am picking up a set of Meprolights. But as my CCW instructor said they were another thing to go wrong and I was shooting very well without them. Here in Nevada we are required to qualify with every gun we carry. I would go with tritium myself.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Administrator
    Not worth the cash they cost. It makes some people feel better to have them, if thats the case- whatever, have fun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I couldn't believe how shaky my grip was until I installed a set on a 1911. Watching that red dot dance around was scary!

IMO

As long as you have a solid platform and are consistently accurate with fixed sights then you can have one. For this type of shooter they become an extension of your weapon. When you come up on target there is no movement or dancing of the laser.

Less experienced shooters who are still working on their fundamentals and accuracy should stay away from them. The less experienced shooter will usually perform well with them installed but will lose so much by relying on the laser, which is so easy to do. If you have accuracy or fundamental issues then you should find a good instructor to square you away instead of trying to diagnose and self-teach with the laser. As an instructor, I use the laser to diagnose problem shooters with great result.

I have a Lasermax for my G27 and will get a CT for my 442 when the funds are there.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links