Is an AOW dual PG legally a handgun (as in CHL)?

This is a discussion on Is an AOW dual PG legally a handgun (as in CHL)? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So let's say I get a glock with a rail legally changed to an AOW by going through the paperwork so I can legally add ...

Thread: Is an AOW dual PG legally a handgun (as in CHL)?

Is an AOW dual PG legally a handgun (as in CHL)?

So let's say I get a glock with a rail legally changed to an AOW by going through the paperwork so I can legally add a pistol grip to the front rail, maybe that magazine baseplate that makes the mag effectively a front pistol grip. Since it's now an NFA item, an AOW or "any other weapon," does this mean I can no longer carry it, with or without the front pistol grip mounted?
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    That would be addressed in your state law.
    If it is not specifically prohibited, then you would be OK.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Good luck finding a holster for it.............
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I live in ohio, and from what I've searched it is definately not strictly prohibited. But I just wonder if an AOW isn't a handgun anymore since a handgun by definition in the ohio revised code is something meant to be shot with one hand. Does that mean if the forward pistol grip were removed, I could still concealed carry it, or is it legally permenantly a dual pistol gripped gun, since it was registered as such?
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminaughty View Post
    I live in ohio, and from what I've searched it is definately not strictly prohibited. But I just wonder if an AOW isn't a handgun anymore since a handgun by definition in the ohio revised code is something meant to be shot with one hand. Does that mean if the forward pistol grip were removed, I could still concealed carry it, or is it legally permenantly a dual pistol gripped gun, since it was registered as such?
    I guess that by their definition my two handed free style grip makes the pistol illegal.

Senior Moderator
    handgun by definition in the ohio revised code is something meant to be shot with one hand. Does that mean if the forward pistol grip were removed, I could still concealed carry it, or is it legally permenantly a dual pistol gripped gun, since it was registered as such?
    The pistol was originally designed to be shot with one hand. The addition of a pistol grip does not change that, it just makes it easier to fire.

Once the gun is registered as any other weapon, it does not change status. If you want to remove the forward grip, you can, but as long as it has the tax stamp,the serial no. of the gun is still noted as AOW. Same thing with a AOW shotgun. You can change the stock configuration but its still an AOW.

How your state views that is the question, because they are all different. If in doubt, call your local ATF representative. I doubt that you will find a credible source of info anywhere else, because there is much misconception and faulty interpretation of the issues, and the AFT opinion is really the only one that matters since they are the ones that rule that domain.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links