Kimber ultra carry - fun to shoot?

This is a discussion on Kimber ultra carry - fun to shoot? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I am a new member here and was hoping for some honest input on the Kimber Ultra carry. I searched for threads on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi all, I am a new member here and was hoping for some honest input on the Kimber Ultra carry.

I searched for threads on this gun to mixed reviews about the extractor. Extractor aside; how is this gun to shoot? I understand that this is not a range gun; however, I want my carry gun to be something I can take and practice with.

I read a review from a magazine which stated the gun was extremely accurate; yet, did pack quite a recoil punch, and could wear down the shooter after a box of ammo. I am concerned by reading this since I assume my strength to be much less than the gentleman who did the review.

Lastly, I own a Ruger .22 for rimfire practice, a Sig P226R for Home Defense and range practice; now I am looking to add a carry gun as I have had my CC Permit for a few weeks now.

Thank you to all who can assist me with their opinions.

My kimber UC CDP II is a blast, literally! Eats anything. Sure it's jumpy, but controllable and fun! Here's mine with a possible pocket carry holster. The only problem I've heard is the old style external EXTRACTOR, not heard anything about the ejector. Notice mine is internal, supposed to be more reliable. If you get one with the external, send it back to Kimber saying you have problems with it and they will swap out the slide.

And a size compare with my XD 40 Subcompact. Grip is not really longer, just the pic angle. The 1911 is much thinner though and easier to conceal. The grips on the UC are also stock, I have since replaced with much thinner carry grips.

I have the old style Ultra Carry. I have never had a moments trouble and shoot it quite often. I do have Hogue finger groove grips and it helps soften recoil as well as allows a lillte better grip
    When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: Luke 11:21

Thanks Rustynuts - and you are right it was "extractor" I have since edited my post.

You say it is "jumpy; but controllable", I still put snap caps in my sig mags just to stop anticipating recoil - I am worried that this gun will control me and not the other way around.

The range I go to allows one to rent firearms; however, they do not stock this particular weapon.

My Ultra Carry II is ultra accurate and ultra fun to shoot. I don't have a problem controlling recoil - it is a little snappy but not bad. I do have a problem with the price of .45 ammo though, that is what keeps me from shooting it as much as I would like.

21 rounds at 10 yards

LABGAL I think you will enjoy a Kimber UC II. My son who has had very little experience shooting hand guns found it easier to shoot than my Glock 23 (40 SW). It seems as I am getting closer to the magical 500 round break in figure that it has less recoil.

Thanks all for the opinions. I am going to hit the range this wknd and rent a Springfield .45 just for the .45 experience. Then I will hit a local shop here to decide between the Ultra Carry and the Springfield EMP. I am comfortable with the 9 mm platform, this makes the EMP an attractive choice in carry weapon.

If anyone has any opinions to offer about the EMP I am all ears!!

I have two Kimbers (both CDP II's), the Pro and an Ultra...the Ultra is my EDC. Both are great at the range and fun to shoot. I actually enjoy shooting my Kimbers, very light trigger, and very accurate.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My Ultra shoots well. It is more accurate than I am. Has an internal extractor and eats everything. It also is very easy to carry and conceal. However I shoot a little better with my Hipowers so that is what I carry.

Make sure you get a 3" alloy frame if possible to replicate the UC experience. A 4" 1911 will do, but realize there will be a little more kick with a lightweight 3". If you're not an experienced shooter, the recoil might alarm you at first, but the gun's not going to fly out of your hand! You get used to it quick. Now shooting Double Tap ammo out of my Kahr MK40 is ANOTHER story. It's so snappy it almost did come out of my hand! Changed ammo after one mag.

i love my ultra carry tht has been my dream gun and i finally got one and man i love it. love it love it oh and love it.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Mine is an absolute joy to shoot and as for it's recoil, with the double recoil spring arrangement, I don't feel much difference than with my larger 1911's. What really surprised me was the accuracy. I shoot it better than some of the bigger 1911's.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I have shot a Kimber Ultra CDP as pictured, and yes there is recoil, but hey- It's a .45 going thru a 3" barrel. I wouldn't say its unbearable.

I own an EMP that you mentioned and I love it. It's 9+1 capacity and ultra accurate. My 50' grouping is around 2" recoil is light as well as the weight and it conceals well. I had a little trouble loading hollow tips- they would nose into the feed ramp, but after polishing the ramp the problem went away. It's a great gun. They're kindof pricey but a good gun.

I beleive both are good if you're looking for a 1911 to carry. If the sig platform (your 226) works well for you- then you could get a sig239.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Thanks again for all the great feedback - it's a little slow at work today, so I am slipping out to go look for a new carry gun right now...after all I've read I am definitely leaning towards the EMP.

I love shooting my Ultra CDP II. It surprised me with how comfortable it is. My young bride and other family members have commented on the same. They prefer shooting it to a full-size all-steel 1911.

For carrying comfort, I'm currently using thinline Alumagrips in the half-checkered pattern.

Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links