Thicker grips for Kahr MK9

This is a discussion on Thicker grips for Kahr MK9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has a Kahr MK9. She loves it. The only problem, she has very long fingers. If she grips the gun right, her fingers ...

Thread: Thicker grips for Kahr MK9

My wife has a Kahr MK9. She loves it. The only problem, she has very long fingers. If she grips the gun right, her fingers are too long to use just the tip of her finger to pull the trigger. (She can, but it is very awkward.) If she moves her hand around to put her finger properly on the trigger, then her grip is wrong and the pistol moves all around.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of some thicker grips for the MK9. I did a quick search for Hogue grips and did not see anything for Kahrs. Did I just miss it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skvinson View Post
    My wife has a Kahr MK9. She loves it. The only problem, she has very long fingers...
    The problem is clearly unsolvable. I'd recommend she just sell the gun to me or trade it for my HK P2000. LOL...I'm just very fond of the PM9/MK9. Keep us posted if you find a practical solution.

Kahr Shop wood grips

If you go to the Kahr website and look in the "Kahr Shop" section where parts are sold, you will see wood grip panels for sale for the MK9 model, in either smooth or checkered configuration. I have these for my MK9, and they add about 0.10 inches in extra thickness to the grip, compared to the stock black nylon grip panels. They might work to improve your wife's grip on the gun.

The only place these are sold is the Kahr online shop. I don't think any vendors make aftermarket grip panels for the Kahr. The ones Kahr sells are probably made by Hogue, and are very high quality, but they do not appear on the Hogue website.

Here is a picture of my MK9 with the wood grip panels:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have the opposite problem. I have short fingers and would like something a little thinner than the stock rubbers. Good luck!

Pogo,

Thanks. I saw the wood grips and figured they were thicker than the hard plastic ones that comes with the gun. I also saw the wrap-around Agrips. If I put those over the stock plastic, it would add some thickness. I didn't see anything that looked like it was made by Hogue - i.e., soft rubber. What were you referring to?

Herknav,

www.kahrshop.com has "Decal" grips in 'Sand' and 'Rubber'. I'm not sure if they go over the stock plastic grips or replace them. If the latter they would be thinner, and are only $10-11.

The Hogue connection was a guess on my part

Quote Originally Posted by skvinson View Post
    Pogo,
    Thanks. I saw the wood grips and figured they were thicker than the hard plastic ones that comes with the gun. I also saw the wrap-around Agrips. If I put those over the stock plastic, it would add some thickness. I didn't see anything that looked like it was made by Hogue - i.e., soft rubber. What were you referring to?
    It is my guess that Kahr had Hogue make the MK9 and K9 wood grips that are sold on the Kahr website. I have seen a lot of Hogue wood grips for other guns, and the Kahr wood grips just looked like Hogue's work to me.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Ordered wood from Kahr for my new MK9, it's been several weeks so I called and was told they're still out of stock so it can be a 4-5 week wait. I'm really surprised more folks don't make after market grips for the K and MK series???

Also, Pogo, how hard was it to fit the stainless guide rod? I just ordered one but I'm not even sure how to do it?

Just curious. I hope your wife will like her MK9 as much as mine!

God Bless
    Gideon

I have the checkered wood grips on my MK9 Elite98, they are thicker than the plastic ones, and the checkering gives you a very solid grip.

Plus they look sweet :)

Installing stainless guide rod on Kahr

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Also, Pogo, how hard was it to fit the stainless guide rod? I just ordered one but I'm not even sure how to do it?
    I put the stainless guide rod on my MK9 myself when it arrived from Kahr. The hardest part was removing the original plastic guide rod to release the recoil spring. I wound up just destroying the original plastic with a pair of pliers to get it out of there. I figured I wouldn't need it again anyway.

The stainless guide rod unscrews into two parts to allow the recoil spring to be placed over the guide rod, and then it is retained on the guide rod by the two flat, round disks on either end of the guide rod. The trick is to compress the recoil spring so you can screw the two parts together and retain the spring. I did this by using the gun itself to trap and compress the spring, locking the slide back, and then screwing the guide rod together where it extends out of the gun with the slide locked back. I also think a little Loctite on the screw threads is a good idea, as the threaded parts tend to work loose under vibration when shooting the gun.

I wish Kahr would just put the stainless part on all these guns at the factory. It is superior to the plastic part, but it clearly costs more to manufacture.

skvinson,

Thanks for the tip!

Herk

I also went with the wood grips (in my case checkered), and they were exactly what I was looking for. Besides being a little thicker, they give me a better purchase on the gun too. And they look good!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Thanks for the help Pogo2. I like working on things but I tend to break at least one thing as I fix the first thing if you know what I mean and would hate to goof this up and not be able to use the gun. I agree they ought to use stainless, or at least a metal part over plastic on a gun that costs this much. I'm doing it for the long term reliability and for the looks!

I'd also like to get the front strap checkered. So far I've found only one place who'll do it and they want $185.00 plus the cost of shipping. I think it would just about "perfect" this little gun but what a chunk of change just to checker a little over an inch of frame!

Anyway, thanks again for the input on changing that rod. I should have ordered the complete assemply for $14.00 from Kahr so I'd have a full drop in part if I messed it up!

God Bless
    Gideon

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I'd also like to get the front strap checkered. So far I've found only one place who'll do it and they want $185.00 plus the cost of shipping.
    Why dont you drop Jess Gilphin a call or note His website is http://www.ontargetcgw.com/

and he goes by ontarget1911 on this forum. Tho he is a 1911 guy I just bet he will beat that price and do you a fine job checkering the frontstrap of your kahr .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Thanks for the input on the grips. I guess I'll get a set of the checkered wooden ones. Looks like I should get a SS guide rod too.

Sponsored Links