Who carries guns with different manuals-of-arms? - Page 2

Who carries guns with different manuals-of-arms?

This is a discussion on Who carries guns with different manuals-of-arms? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; nothing but GLOCKS....K.I.S.S....currently a G30...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who carries guns with different manuals-of-arms?

nothing but GLOCKS....K.I.S.S....currently a G30
    Brad B.

Quote Originally Posted by DirksterG30
    Do you carry handguns on occasion with different manuals of arms? Some people carry only single-action 1911s or double action wheelguns to keep things simple, especially in a fight. Is this a concern for you? How do you train to be proficient with different types of firearms?
    I've had CCW permits in four states over the course of the last twenty seven years. I routinely carry revolver, semi-auto in both DA and SA. Not a concern for me. I DO counsel my novice students to stick to one draw type and position to build "MUSCLE MEMORY." But I've routinely carried shoulder rig, cross draw, OWB, IWB so many different times, there's never a problem. It's all second nature.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have carried a Browning Hi Power and a CZ 52 both cocked & locked, and now a Kahr. I find that when I shoot the Kahr, I "swipe" the side of the Kahr where an external safety would be on the other two guns. Not a problem. Now if I were to pick up an auto loader that required an up motion to off-safe it, I'm thinking that I would have a BIG problem.
    Last edited by AutoFan; August 9th, 2005 at 04:42 PM.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by AZG23
    nothing but GLOCKS....K.I.S.S....currently a G30
    Nothing but 1911s.... K.I.S.S.... currently a Nighthawk Enforcer or a Kimber TLE II.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I like the option of a safety, incase someone is trying to wrestle the gun away from ya.

That is when my knife comes in handy. True, someone is likely going to just pull the trigger and hope for the best. I like to practice my weapon retention techniques too.

Nice country up here. I just moved here from Green Bay about six months ago. Have only been to the Pub once before, good food. I am actually in Sedar Bay location, about three miles off of M203. Calumet is about 3.25mi away.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I also carry different firearms. Either a 1911, a Glock or my trusty P32 at the beach in the summer all with different carry locations. The only thing I have to say about carrying weapons with different manual of arms is to practice frequently with each weapon so you recognize it as you grab it.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

OD*

Yes I do.
    I always have one of my 1911s on and a bug of either a P-32 or a DAO Smith snubby.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I usually carry a Browning Hi-Power, but also occassionaly carry a J Frame revolver. They are enough different that I "know" which one I have and can manipulate them without thinking about it.

I would NEVER carry anything with a slide mounted safety (i.e. UP means fire) as long as I carry the Hi-Power, too easy to get confused as to what weapon I had and safe it when I mean to fire and vice versa.

I do have a Glock (21) that I have carried once or twice, but not much danger of confusion with the BHP there, worse that's happenend is that I've swept my right thumb down the side of the frame while coming onto target to disengage the non-existant external safety.
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

I carry single action only 1911's and my Taurus PT-145 Double Action Only together and have never had any problems figuring out how to shoot them both back to back. Both have frame mounted safeties and UP means safe and DOWN means fire. Simplicity at it's best.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

I'm guilty of carrying several types of handguns. They range from the Squeeze cocker HK P7, Colt 1911's and variants of same, D/A Smith autos (including the ASP with the "guttersnipe" sight system), Glocks, (Yes, that M26 I picked up is VERY comfy in my hands with Wichester Subsonic 9 MM) and several wheelie guns.. I prefer the Autos though, due to the hi-cap firepower. I shoot all of them, and carry different ones, due to Seasonal changes, weather, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ka0azs
    I would NEVER carry anything with a slide mounted safety (i.e. UP means fire) as long as I carry the Hi-Power, too easy to get confused as to what weapon I had and safe it when I mean to fire and vice versa.
    That is something that has always bothered me about my Makarov. Slide mounted safety/decocker. Up for decock/safe and down for fire. Exact opposite of all the S&W, Ruger and Beretta autoloaders I have owned over the years. Lot of habits built up there. I have never carried the Mak.

Carry only Glocks and my S&W j-frame. Point, pull trigger, repeat as needed. No decockers, safeties or anything else to worry about.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Monty
    Carry only Glocks and my S&W j-frame. Point, pull trigger, repeat as needed. No decockers, safeties or anything else to worry about.
    I love my Sig P245 for exactly the same reasons! Well, it's got a decocker, but no external safety.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I make it a habit to train HARD with every gun I'll carry. It's standard to sweep safety if I have to draw my weapon(if I have to draw, the plan is to shoot not to scare or intimidate).

Carry guns (depends on the weather & duties);
    S&W 638(primary/ easiest to conceal & might be the FAStest to get to)
    Para P12-45, HK USPc 357Sig(for firepower carry)

I'm a big HK & 1911 fan, I feel they both have the same operations(safety).
    S&W 638 - point & shoot, no safety to sweep
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links