Who carries guns with different manuals-of-arms?

This is a discussion on Who carries guns with different manuals-of-arms? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you carry handguns on occasion with different manuals of arms? Some people carry only single-action 1911s or double action wheelguns to keep things simple, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who carries guns with different manuals-of-arms?

Who carries guns with different manuals-of-arms?

Do you carry handguns on occasion with different manuals of arms? Some people carry only single-action 1911s or double action wheelguns to keep things simple, especially in a fight. Is this a concern for you? How do you train to be proficient with different types of firearms?

2. Remove Ads

Lets see any time thought the year i will carry in no order 1911 glock 17 springfield xd Hk usp and a colt cobra wheelie i practise with everything ..

As of late though say past 5 months its been all 1911's of one form or another

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    My carry guns include a S&W 4006 (will soon be joined by a 4013 with same manual of arms) a Ruger KP95DC, a Glock 27, and various S&W revolvers. I havea 1911 but don't carry it as of yet.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Yes, and in a stress situation it does indeed lead to failures!

1911, P99, sometimes PPK/S

I saw that in both the Randy Cain and Gabe Suarez courses I took this year!

If I'm on the range, I know what to do with each one properly . . . but throw stress into the equation and all bets are off!

Senior Moderator
    "I do", said with reservation and intimidation. I carry 1911s some, Sig TDAs and DAKs a lot, and now H&K USP TDA, and rarely but occasionally, a G-17 or 19.

I say with reservation because I believe it's not a good idea to carry guns with different manuals-of-arms. I recently bought a Saturn Vue with a 4 cylinder and 5 speed manual transmission. My wife's car is an automatic. We have both noticed how quickly we acclimate to the "manual-of-arms" of each car. The problem is, she and I have both experience depressing the "clutch" in her automatic.

I suspect the same thing happens with guns - we acclimate to one and when we carry a gun with a different manual-of-arms we could experience "hang-over" from the previous gun.

It is an on going frustration with me that I can't decide to carry one gun. I have the best made, a Sig 226ST 9mm, but right now am carrying an H&K USP that I dearly love. But then next week I'll remember how much I enjoyed carrying my 1911s and will probably carry one of them. Then, with the 1911 on my hip, I'll remember how well my Sig 226ST 9mm handles recoil and those 17 (actually 18) rounds I can carry in the gun. Then with the Sig 226ST on my hip, I'll remember how light the USP is and that very short slide rack release and then Glocks have that low bore and straight back recoil thing going and....

Anyway, that's my on going, internal, personal conflict. But yes, doggone it, I do carry guns with different manuals-of-arms and much too frequently.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    I carry both in Cond 1 and 2. Ive got no problem as when I draw I swipe the decocker on my Cond 2 guns as part of my ritual of knocking the safety off. I hope it works when I have to use it........
    Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Technically yes but on the first shot they're identical... the manual of arms doesn't enter into it until something goes wrong basically. I'm uncomfortable carrying a gun with any sort of external safety when there are other options.

Administrator

I'm Guilty Yes, I Do

I carry many assorted firearms depending on where I am going & what I'll be doing when I get there and how I need to dress for that particular occasion.
    Probably too many different Manual Of Arms.
    I carry different handguns and I also carry in different body locations.
    I usually stay "Well Rehearsed" though.
    I rationalize some of it this way.
    I am so familiar with the Colt 1911 that it is like it is a part of me. The instant I have a .45 in my hand it "mentally registers" as a Colt .45 & I am basically on auto-pilot with that firearm.

With the GLOCKS all you hafta do is pull the trigger so there is nothing there to fumble.

With the S&W DAO Revolvers...the same. There is nothing there to fumble.

The particular way that I carry my Walther PPK/S...same.
    Just pull the trigger.

Going BACK to the 1911 after GLOCK CARRY reverts me back to Instinctive Colt.

I also OFTEN carry a European SIG P220 (with the mag release on the butt) It's actually a SIG/Browning BDA .45 (same as a 220 except for the mag release) - Basically I can either take a first DA shot by just pulling the trigger or "thumb cock" the hammer for a deadly accurate first shot.
    No Problem & no Thumb Safety to be concerned about.
    If I bang off a full magazine with that SIG/Browning & then go for the 1911 Style Mag Melease...and gulp...it's not there! Which actually has happened to me once or twice in practice "Panic Drills" - I only seem to lose a tiny bit of time before I still effect a decently quick Whoops! mag "rip & switch."
    By that time...I figure chances are that any threat I'm likely to encounter as a civilian will already have been negated with my first full mag.
    I never have ANY FTFs or Fail To Function with that EuroSIG.
    I've never even been able to intentionally create a malfunction with that pistol. I just love it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Yep, and I do it at the same time. If gun #1 fails for some reason I will go for gun #2. The only time I don't do this is in the heat of summer. Then I usually only have the one gun. I will usually carry a semi-auto and revolver. I don't carry a reload for the revolver. I carried guns with different manual of arms in the military, so I guess it doesn't seem so odd to me. I figure I have better odds on winning the Mega-Millions lottery than both guns failing.

-Scott-

Assistant Administrator
    I think I have said before, I was somewhat late to 1911's and so - from choice they are not my ideal carry - tho that said I was quite happy carrying my BHP for a while.

On balance I prefer a non-safety DA/SA platform as per now my SIG - having found that initial DA travel is well acceptable for a rapid first shot - after which I hardly notice difference with further SA pulls. This for me is fastest and most ''instinctive'' now.

Second to that is a snub - where of course again we have constant force DA but, obviously reduced capacity. I have carried M28 a few times and that with 6 x .357's on board is also very fast and probably if 6 of those rounds wouldn't cut it - things are probably bad!

So - overall I feel frequent major different manual-of-arms changes is not good. I like most of us I am sure, can pick up about any platform with ease and get into action quite fast but - in extremis I think it really has to be what we are individually most competent with.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I used to switch guns with some relative frequency for carry, but I've solidified into the Sig 226 full time, just like I did years ago. It's comfortable in the sense I know what to expect, know how it rides, know what it won't do, etc. - and that's something I've never experienced with another handgun.

Even other Sigs aren't quite the same for me. It's like it was made from the factory to be my perfect compact (yes, I'm not really kidding at 6'8") handgun.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Lead Moderator
    kind of. But the PT and HK USP are nearly the same in function and feel. Minor diffrences, but the PT is a summer carry and the USP gets most on the fall/winter duty. I use my SA revolver for hunting/ taget only. Also I practice with both PT and USP so either feels good to me.

Glock 30, Taurus 605 (2"), and soon Dan Wesson 1911 10mm. My thumb placement is the same for auto pistols, so where they rest will automatically take down the thumb safety on the 1911. The other two are slick, which I prefer. I do not believe in manual safeties of any kind, but I can see rationalize ones used for C&L 1911s and such.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I've carried SA briefly in the past (cocked-and-locked, of course). Now I have two usual carry guns, one DA/SA and one DAO.
    "Terrorists don't seem to be too afraid of stern language. But I do notice, that while the fear of death does not seem to deter these people, the fact of BEING dead does significantly decrease their operational effectiveness. "
    - Bill Whittle

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm
    Glock 30, Taurus 605 (2"), and soon Dan Wesson 1911 10mm. My thumb placement is the same for auto pistols, so where they rest will automatically take down the thumb safety on the 1911. The other two are slick, which I prefer. I do not believe in manual safeties of any kind, but I can see rationalize ones used for C&L 1911s and such.

I like the option of a safety, incase someone is trying to wrestle the gun away from ya. But I have seen reports of PD losing their guns in a stuggle. Guess old habits. OT freakshow, I was just up in your town on vaction. Nice place. Really like the Irish Pub too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links