3" Barreled 1911's, should I?

This is a discussion on 3" Barreled 1911's, should I? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by joe/OH I've been experimenting with carrying the 5" Springfield GI in an IWB holster and it works very well. I also had ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3" Barreled 1911's, should I?

Cool It's all a matter of PERCEPTION

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    I've been experimenting with carrying the 5" Springfield GI in an IWB holster and it works very well. I also had the opportunity to play around with a 4" commander (not a Springfield) and I honestly can't determine what the major benefit is. I can't see how 1" barrel length can make a difference when you're talking about holster carry already. And everything else on the commander is the same size. I could be missing something, but the 5" seems to be the way to go.
    I think there is the perception that the Commander simply has less MASS than the Government model, and maybe there is a subtle matter of balance, too. Plus, for IWB carry that extra inch of depth at the strong side hip might just about lay the gun right ON the SCIATIC NERVE for some folks. The truth is that my wife's Commander is "set up" for carry and my Gov't Model is not. For one thing, the trigger pull on the Gov't model is waaaaay too light for it to be a good carry gun if only for those 12 ignorant jurors who'll sit in judgment of me and my actions. Wife's Commander breaks clean and crisp at 4.5 pounds and that's a half pound better than recommended by most authorities. So if I desire a 1911, I'll carry the Commander. But I'm getting away from the SA style 1911. I'll only carry either my Glock M27, my Sig P245 or (when I get it) my next gun which will be a ParaOrdnance Spec-Ops Hi-Cap LDA. That's a DAO 1911 that doesn't feel like a DAO.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    For one thing, the trigger pull on the Gov't model is waaaaay too light for it to be a good carry gun if only for those 12 ignorant jurors who'll sit in judgment of me and my actions. Wife's Commander breaks clean and crisp at 4.5 pounds and that's a half pound better than recommended by most authorities.
    One of the reasons I decided on the Springfield GI for carry. The trigger breaks like a glock with a new york trigger.

Ok ok - it ain't THAT bad. But it is definitely the heaviest mushiest trigger I've ever felt on a single action firearm. My makarov is crisper than that thing. Again, not a bad thing for what I intend to use it for.

I've got one of the "cheap" Colt 1991A1 in the compact size. It's fitted with night sights and I've owned it for approx. 8 years. In approx. 1000 - 1500 rounds...it failed to feed 6 or seven times. ALL failures occured with the same mag. It now holds only the factory mag or chip mccormicks. No more failures thus far...and it's a far sight easier to carry than my full size Kimber.....although, admittedily not near as accurate.

I plan on getting a 3.5 incher my self to try out

How 'bout this. I have lots of handguns to choose from for different purposes, but I always wanted a 3" .45 just 'cause it's cute. I've had big dogs for hunting, and home protection, but you can't beat a puppy for something cute to hold. Maybe a 3" .45 would just be a cute little back-up weapon. HC

HotelCharlie is on the right track here....I consider the 3" 1911 as a backup piece and definitely not a gun for a day at the range. I had the opportunity to fire a Kimber Ultra and it was a pain in the wrist to say the least. I don't have beefy arms and wrists and found that firing that little sucker was a lesson in aches....nope, I'd consider it for that up close encounter that didn't require a sighting down that short slide.....just my two coppers!
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Assistant Administrator
    Despite what I said earlier, there is certainly an urge to have one of these - simply because so compact but - I still have my reservations re reliability - that is my only real concern.

All compact owners - send your guns to me for thoro evaluation! I'll supply ammo
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Prospector hit the nail on the head(post#21). Frankly,I could not understand why(some,If not most) of you guys kept stating that the sub 4" guns were not worth a hoot for CC.(remember this forum is about CC ?)As I believe that I stated in one of my posts,several months ago,I carry a 3" Kimber,I compete with a 5" Colt. I practice with my 3" as much as needed to requalify myself for CC. I still use the Kimber brand mags,but with the Wilson guts. Yes,I have even "monkeyed" with the weapon to make it even more reliable. (Don't tell Mr. Cooper)I polished and super cleaned every critical part of the weapon. (Don't the rest of you do that with your 5" weapons ??) I use what I consider quality brand ammo. We all do,don't we ?? I have almost 1000rds. through the weapon now,using 11 diffrent brands of ammo. I keep my weapon very clean. I keep my weapon lubed in all the little critical areas. Yeah, I know that I should have---BUT--- I HAVE NOT HAD A SINGLE FTF(or fire) OR FTE. OBTW I don't even start to limp wrist. Come on guys,can't you even kinda understand. The 3" guns are fine if the shooter/owner does his part. All in all---I would reccommend a 3" gun(especially a Kimber Ultra CDP II internal extractor) Especially if you use the weapon as I have used mine.----------

3.5" SA Ultra Compact

I have one of these. It is a reliable gun for me. It needs some going through to make the timing perfect, but it has never jammed in the 500 rounds I have put through it. I don't hesitate to carry. I just ddon't likee how it roughs up buller noses when I feed load and unload the same round 5 - 10 times. That is all.

They do seem to need some kind of reverse guide rod solution. My solution was a custom FL guide rod and reverse from EGW with an ISMI flat coil spring. This works well and seems bullet proof.

Cool Cute lil BUG? (BackUpGun)

Quote Originally Posted by Hotelcharlie
    How 'bout this. I have lots of handguns to choose from for different purposes, but I always wanted a 3" .45 just 'cause it's cute. I've had big dogs for hunting, and home protection, but you can't beat a puppy for something cute to hold. Maybe a 3" .45 would just be a cute little back-up weapon. HC
    Well my cute little puppy is only about four months old and already over 30 pounds. She's going to be an ADORABLE HUGE pup going over 130 probably. But as a rescue dog, she's not the one for home defense. I feel like I have to protect HER, not the reverse, although there is little doubt in my mind that if somebody were so foolish to threaten my wife she'd be a fur covered razorblade.

Now, speaking of a cute wittle 45 to hold as a "backup" gun, well. I'm thinking the purpose of a backup, especially one with such PUNCH, is to serve as artillery in case the world goes to hell and your primary piece no longer functions. That being the case, cute or no, I'd not to have even one teeeeeny iota of worry on reliability. To me this would be a perfect gun to compete in the BUG category at an IDPA match for fun.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    If anybody is interested, here is a piece on Corbon's .45 load made for short barrels:

http://shooterslegacy.net/forum/view...925&highlight=
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Guys
    I'm currently looking at a Colt Defender 45 in Stainless with a lightweight frame. Cost is 575.00 with 2 extra mags paperwork and box. finish is 97%
    Wondering if any of you have ever had one. Seems to be a good deal, and another primary or BUG. Any ideas/comments?

1951 - 2011
    Hello. I don't care for the guns shorter than Commander length personally, but a couple of my gun-savvy 1911ish type friends have had good luck in both reliability and accuracy with Colt's Defender. Though I have a couple of slightly customized Commanders I find myself toting a Springfield Mil-Spec that has had internal work done by Teddy Jacobson.

With a good belt and holster, I honestly don't find the weapon uncomfortable to carry...but that's just speaking for myself.

I fully agree that the "serious" gun must be reliable. It simply has to work properly as most of us have to wait til the last instant (or will) before opening up on an aggressor. If a person can shoot the little guns well and has one that is stone cold reliable, go for it. If you prefer an aluminum frame full-size or Commander, use it and never look back.

Each of us are similar and yet very different creatures. What is a peach for me might very well be exactly the wrong choice for another shooter.

Best.

I found that the Defender I'm looking at has the Heinie thype ramp sights on it, and has the "Defender Plus" logo. This means it's a Commander frame, with a 3" BBL on it.. This was discontinued a long time ago, with a retail price of 886.00 at that time. Being the fact it's stainless slide and alloy aluminium, I think it will make for a great Bug or summer special gun.
    I'm trying to go peek at it either Saturday or Sunday this week, but I think I'm already sold on it.
    Last edited by CLASS3NH; August 11th, 2005 at 11:11 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links