Pocket Gun

Pocket Gun

This is a discussion on Pocket Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried a Colt Mustang Plus II as a pocket pistol for many years, but would like to move to a 45 ACP. Any ...

Thread: Pocket Gun

Pocket Gun

I have carried a Colt Mustang Plus II as a pocket pistol for many years, but would like to move to a 45 ACP. Any comments on the Glock 30 vs the new Kahr pm45?

Well not the G30 but I've carried a G27 in my "poket" for the last 12 years or so...... And latley I've carried the G30's big brother the G29 in my pocket, Now that gives you a GOOD feeling!!!

I could never get a good draw from the pocket with my G27. I pc a 442 in a Kramer.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    The G30 is a WHOLE lot more user friendly than the Kahr offering in .45 acp.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    The G30 is a WHOLE lot more user friendly than the Kahr offering in .45 acp.
    Why do you say that?

How about a Glock 36? It's a little narrower than the G30. IMHO, they are both too big for pocket carry.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Why do you say that?

Yeah, I'm curious to hear from those who have experience with the PM45. I have a PM9 and want to get a .45 next and the PM45 is one that I'm considering if I don't go 1911. Hopefully Kahr will have one with the black DLC slide soon and possibly some grip options (Alumigrips, CT, Hogue, etc.).

I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II, 45 ACP, in my pocket, in a Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com pocket holster, about 50 % of the time, an IWB the rest of the time. Pocket carry of the Kimber requires loose fitting britches.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Sorry for the delay in reply. All of this is subjective on my part. I have shot both the G30 and Kahr in .45. I found the recoil to be manageable in both guns but the G30 was faster back on target especially shooting WHO. I have big paws and the G30 sits in my hand better than the Kahr. My issue pistol (required) as well as my off duty pistol are Glocks. The trigger is familiar to me and I like it better than the one on the Kahr. All in all, I would rather have the Glock but that is just me. Again, sorry for the delay.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by sharpetop View Post
    How about a Glock 36? It's a little narrower than the G30. IMHO, they are both too big for pocket carry.

I second that suggestion - I love my 36, but don't think I'd want to carry it in a pocket. That's what my Rohrbaugh is for.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Sorry for the delay in reply. All of this is subjective on my part. I have shot both the G30 and Kahr in .45. I found the recoil to be manageable in both guns but the G30 was faster back on target especially shooting WHO. I have big paws and the G30 sits in my hand better than the Kahr. My issue pistol (required) as well as my off duty pistol are Glocks. The trigger is familiar to me and I like it better than the one on the Kahr. All in all, I would rather have the Glock but that is just me. Again, sorry for the delay.
    Thanks for the reply. I wondered how two easy and simple to operate pistols could differ so much, in your opinion, as to user friendliness. I carry a Kahr P45 and like it very much...different strokes. I'm not sure I'd feel the same way about the PM45. It would be a hand full at the least.

IMHO, either the Kahr or the Glock would make excellent CCWs, dependant on personal preferences as to grip, sights, trigger, etc. I've owned Glock and just never liked the guns, although they are well made.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpetop View Post
    I have the G-36, and it's noticeably 'thinner'...easy to conceal and very comfortable.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As an alternative, what about the Kimber Ultra Carry ll?

VIP Member
    I think the Glock 30 is a bit big... I have a Glock 27 and it's about as big as I would care for in pocket size.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I wondered how two easy and simple to operate pistols could differ so much, in your opinion, as to user friendliness. I carry a Kahr P45 and like it very much...different strokes. I'm not sure I'd feel the same way about the PM45. It would be a hand full at the least.

IMHO, either the Kahr or the Glock would make excellent CCWs, dependant on personal preferences as to grip, sights, trigger, etc. I've owned Glock and just never liked the guns, although they are well made.
    I have long hands, but I'm a bit of a twig and while my middle finger touches the palm of my hand holding a P45 I still prefer the narrow profile. For my hand type, it makes shooting one handed much easier and little to no difference shooting two handed. Everyone is going to be different. The only reason my primary isn't a P45 is capacity.
    Last edited by matiki; December 31st, 2007 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Spelling - Whoops.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Sponsored Links