Rossi Revolvers???

This is a discussion on Rossi Revolvers??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently own and have disassembled completely for inspection a Smith 686, Taurus .22 ultra lite, Taurus J frame .38, and a Rossi SS 642 ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rossi Revolvers???

I currently own and have disassembled completely for inspection a Smith 686, Taurus .22 ultra lite, Taurus J frame .38, and a Rossi SS 642 .357.

The Smith is far and away the best. Top drawer parts, design and finish. Taurus is not far behind. Unfortunately the Rossi is a different story. I wouldn't say it's third rate but it is certainly second rate. I would not trust it as a cc weapon. They are beautiful but it's what's on the inside that counts.

I am not one to stand on name or tradition but this is one place where you are poorly served by not spending the additional dollars needed to acquire the better product. I am not going to sell my Rossi but I would never buy another. If you want a quality functioning handgun that will become an heirloom buy a Smith. If you want a quality functioning handgun and don't care about heirloom status buy a Taurus.

2. Remove Ads

About 13 years ago, I bought a used .357Mag Rossi 4" stainless revolver, don't recall the model number for under $200. Used it to teach my wife to shoot. It was a good buy at that price, but for over $200, add a little more money and get a used S&W in good working condition.
    I would recommend a used Smith over a new Rossi or Taurus.
    I have been shooting handguns for over 35 years,own 7 revolvers rignt now. 6 of the 7 are Smiths.

mark

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I had a 38, 5 shot with a 3 inch barrel. I didn't like it at all because it wasn't accurate. The trigger wasn't anything special. I traded it for my Bersa 380 which is a lot more accurate. I was excited about the fact I could get a stainless revolver for $250. Wasn't really worth it IMO. That is my experience with Rossi. Good luck if you get one.
    Last edited by Ragin Cajun; December 31st, 2007 at 11:09 AM. Reason: corrected spelling

For another 50-60 dollars you could have a new Smith snubby....and shoot +p.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Have a Rossi 38spl. Had it for many years. Works great. Would love to have another.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead45 View Post
    My Rossi .357 snub kept jamming so I sold it. Wish I had not, I think it may have been the ammo I was using. But I was young and not that exposed to as many snubbies as I am now. Go with the .357 and carry full bore loads, any extra penetration is good.
    The jamming was probably due to burs in the center hole of the star.
    A no. 31 drill bit clamped in a vice and hand turning the star on the drill will solve that problem, so I read.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    About 9 months or so ago, I bought a Rossi 461 .357 handgun. Paid around $250 out the door for it at one of the fun shows. I do not have lots of cash to throw around, so I buy what I feel I want. I do not listen to the babble about you get what you pay for and how Rossi/Taurus were junk. If you want a S&W, then buy one. I have nothing against them but I don't have the cash for one.

The 461, in my opinion, not yours, is a good snub nose. Holds 6 of your choice; .38 or .357. There is no rear sight except for a little groove along the top of the barrel. The front ramp sight is good, altho I painted the ramp and the groove on the rear so I could see a little better. It is a heavy little sucker, but that helps with the recoil for magnum loads. Shot DA, it needed a team of mules to pull the trigger, in SA the trigger trips with very little pressure. I wish they could even it out a little bit better. But still works for me.

I have probably 500 thru it, mostly .38 because my shoulder and back can't take the pounding of the .357's too much. I practice mostly at 15 yards, keeps the shots in the boiler room of the target and I can keep it in the chest at 30 yards. That is SA. The trigger is starting to lighten up a little, but I will probably be gone before it breaks. OK, every start piling on.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Can't say I have experienced this, as I said I haven't owned a Rossi I only buy S&W revos and have never experienced a failure of any kind!!!
    I had a Smith lock up on me, but it was something that can happen to any revolver. A sliver of burned gunpowder got caught up behind the star on the cylinder. It wouldnt turn and the trigger wouldn't pull. I was about to take it to the gunsmith and found the answer on the net. All revolvers can lock up. I do trust S&W over Rossi .

I just purchased the Rossi 462 last week at Cabela's. I spent some time reading reviews on the web, they were mixed, but I've never let that stop me.

I've only put a few rounds through it so far. The SA trigger is real light, the DA is on the heavy side. I'm not sure I will ever carry this gun but I've read that it will fit holsters made for a Colt Detective Special.

"The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." Navy Admiral

University of Science Music and Culture

SEMPER FI!

I have a 971 Rossi, 2", adj. sites, SS, 357. The grip is rubber and easily handles 357 ammo. I used this gun at my CCW Class. If I had the chance to buy a good used 462 I would grab it. I all so had a 38spl. Snub that I gave to a Young lady for a house gun. It shot well, but the rubber grip was a little large for pocket carry. Rossi has been around for a long time, I would carry their guns.

I sold a 462 to Miggy on here for his wife. It was good when I had it. I don't know anything about revolvers though, that was just a try and see pistol for me. He can probably give you a better review of it.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Not my first choice as a carry gun but I do pocket carry some. I have a Smith snubby and a Rossi snubby, both in 38 special. Neither will shoot +P. Both are pleasant to shoot. I have big hands but they are still easy to hang on to. Both are accurate for me both SA and DA out to 25 yards or so. My wife can't hit the side of a barn with either.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Have a Rossi 38spl. Had it for many years. Works great. Would love to have another.

Same here. I bought a M68 about 13yrs ago for a whopping $79.00.

It has never missed a beat. Is it a S&W? Not. Is it a good firearm? In my book, yes indeed.

Here it is, M68 3" 5-shot .38spl. nickle plated;

I'd buy another, especially if the price is right.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

I have a model 677 (predecesor to the 461?), a 2" .357. Been kicking around throwing it into rotation as a BUG. Never had a problem with it. Paid less than $300 for it IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by PAPACHUCK View Post
    Same here. I bought a M68 about 13yrs ago for a whopping $79.00.

It has never missed a beat. Is it a S&W? Not. Is it a good firearm? In my book, yes indeed.

Here it is, M68 3" 5-shot .38spl. nickle plated;

I'd buy another, especially if the price is right.
    Looks identical. Can't remember the exact cost - but around $100 + or - NIB. Just had mine at the range a couple of months ago after several years of sitting. Still went bang just like the last time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links