Rossi Revolvers???

This is a discussion on Rossi Revolvers??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any experience with Rossi, how reliable are their revolvers, how accurate, are they? because they have a nice price tag on them. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rossi Revolvers???

Rossi Revolvers???

Does anyone have any experience with Rossi, how reliable are their revolvers, how accurate, are they? because they have a nice price tag on them. At one of the stores I go to they have a .38 for $244.00. which is not a bad price.

2. Remove Ads

I have shot but never owned a Rossi and it performed just fine. I would purchase a Revo from a company like Rossi long before a Auto where the action is a bit more complicated. They are not the quality of a S&W, or Colt, they do function. I would probably buy a Rossi over a Taurus if I didn't have a thing for S&W wheelers. Many on forums like this will slam the Rossi just because of it's low cost and they have never even held one so take what you read with a grain of salt.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with Rossi, how reliable are their revolvers, how accurate, are they? because they have a nice price tag on them. At one of the stores I go to they have a .38 for $244.00. which is not a bad price.
    I have a m88 that I bought over 20 years ago. It's a 5 shot snub
    38spl. In 0ver 20 years I probably have less than 200 rounds through it. I don't care for pocket carry guns and I don't buy them but on occasion, when the need arose, I have carried this little Rossi in my pocket. I think it was under $200 new. It is what it is and I see no reliability concerns but wouldn't shoot +Ps in it.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    ...take what you read with a grain of salt.
    NCH
    Good advice.

I can't comment on current production. I've seen/held/shot an old one that wasn't much to write home about. In fact, the cylinder wouldn't really lock into place very well. If you're set on a .38 and price is a concern, I'd choose a Taurus over what I've seen of Rossi.

FWIW--I disagree with NCH on autos, too. You haven't had fun until you've had a revolver lock up on you.

YMMV,
    Herk

I like and want to get one of their 357 models 461/2 for just a little more money and an extra round. What I have read and felt is DA is very stiff but SA is very nice. Give it a try.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I have a 461 which is there 6 shot 2 inch barrelled .357. Thousands of rounds trhough it trouble free. I am satisfied with it and would buy another of their revolvers. Also, the are owned by Taurus and covered by their lifetime warranty.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My Rossi .357 snub kept jamming so I sold it. Wish I had not, I think it may have been the ammo I was using. But I was young and not that exposed to as many snubbies as I am now. Go with the .357 and carry full bore loads, any extra penetration is good.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

VIP Member
    I bought my daughter a Rossi 351 with a 2"bbl for her first gun. It shoots fine. Probably only have about 100 rounds through it. I did have to have the trigger pull lightened on it. It was so hard my daughter had a hard time pulling it. Once I did that , it was great for double action, but single action it's a hair trigger. I'm sure it's a fine gun, but when she turns 21, I'm buying her a Smith ( unless she prefers something else).

Wife qualified with her 461 for CCW. She likes shooting it. She prefers +P .38s over the .357 mag loads though. Not as much recoil.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I have the new model 461 made by Taurus . It's been reliable and accurate. I use it as my truck gun.
    I've put about 500 rounds through it with no problems at all.
    My definition of accurate is a 3 inch hole at 12 yards, using both .38 and .357.
    Stock grips are ok and do the job.
    The DA trigger pull isn't that nad but not as nice as a SA auto.
    The SA pull is pretty light and it's fun to use at the range.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

my current EDC is Rossi 461 - 135 grn speer gold dots (short barrel load)

I shoot the 1/2 size B12 target at 25 yards at the range, all in the black most in the 8, 9 10 so I'm happy with it

(I would prefer a S&W 4" k frame...)

I bought a 461 for $150 used as a glove box gun....turned out to be so accurate and reliable,I use it at idpa once in a while....trigger sucked in the beginning,smoothed up w/ use and dry firing....the gun itslef is a bit heavy,but that make shooting the 357's barable.Another buddy has the 4" version and is happy w/ his too.Mine is a newer one made by Taurus,not sure about his.
    the new one have the Taurus lifetime thing(I think)so I'd get one as long as it checks out ok.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Good advice.

FWIW--I disagree with NCH on autos, too. You haven't had fun until you've had a revolver lock up on you.
    Can't say I have experienced this, as I said I haven't owned a Rossi I only buy S&W revos and have never experienced a failure of any kind!!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Hornet--mine was on a Model 19.

I have one, the .357 in four inches.

My only suggestion, don't get the blued. You can tell a quality difference with a smith, but this is good bang for buck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links