Kahr CW9 - Wife's range report

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 - Wife's range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife considered a few different guns for her first CCW. She finally decided on the Kahr in 9mm. She really liked the way it ...

Thread: Kahr CW9 - Wife's range report

My wife considered a few different guns for her first CCW. She finally decided on the Kahr in 9mm. She really liked the way it balanced in her hand. I personally was never a fan of Kahr's but have to admit that the CW9 is growing in my favor.
    She is fairly new to shooting. She has only shot my .45, S&W 686 and Beretta PX4 .40... just a few times. As new to guns, she was timid at first but slowly getting used to shooting.
    She took the Kahr to the range the other day and shot 100 rounds. Had no problems at all. The first 50 rounds she shot slow and deliberate. From 5-10 yards she had very tight groups, with the occassional wide shot. The next 50 she was geting comfortable and started double taps and some rapid fire. She even tried one handed.
    Results:
    She's better than me! And I have been shooting for about 8 years. Although a little higher than where she was aiming, her groups were tight. That gun is something. The only trouble she was having was seeing the sights clearly (her eyes are changing with her age). But even so, she was extremely accurate. Although the gun is very good, I think she has shooting talent because she shot well with my .45 the very first time.
    The gun has a narrow grip, which she prefers, and is very light and very easy to conceal.
    The only negative would be the takedown. According to the manual, you have to press a screwdriver (or something) against the slide lock pin to remove it for the takedown. The 1911's you can just press it out. But believe me, you DO have to use something to push that pin through. This is awkward when trying to line up the notches for taking the slide off.
    I tried the gun in one of my OWB holsters, which it fit pretty good. The gun is so light, I couldn't even tell it was there. She will be carrying IWB and sometimes in a pocket book. This was another reason for the Kahr over a 1911, since we were concerned about the 1911 hammer and/or beavertail getting snagged on something.
    Other than the takedown issue, which I would not deter anyone from buying the Kahr, I would highly recommend this gun, especially for a first time CCW.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy to carry...

Don't worry about the slide lock pin. The slide lock pin in my P9 was difficult (used the handle of a small screwdriver) to remove at first. After five hundred rounds and four or five cleanings I can easily remove it by hand. I am sure your wife will enjoy her new Kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    Don't worry about the slide lock pin. The slide lock pin in my P9 was difficult (used the handle of a small screwdriver) to remove at first. After five hundred rounds and four or five cleanings I can easily remove it by hand. I am sure your wife will enjoy her new Kahr.
    +1 It will get easier. Trust me, if you can easily put a Ruger Mk II .22 back together, the Kahr is a piece of cake.

As the others have said, it'll get easy to strip in no time. Took 100 rounds for mine to loosen up (CW9) and now she's almost as easy to strip as my XD.

I love my CW9... I'm sure you'll both be happy shooting it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Your wife made an excellent choice. I have a CW9 and love it. The polymer frame makes it unbelievably light and the narrow slide makes it very comfortable, especially for a lady. Very easy to shoot with one of the smoothest triggers around.

Whether she decides to keep it in a pocket book or someplace else you will want to be sure it is secured inside a holster to protect the trigger. It's DAO so keeping it holstered is a must no matter where it is located.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Glad she likes it . I assure you that it only gets better as she and the gun both " shoot inn " LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    Your wife made an excellent choice. I have a CW9 and love it. The polymer frame makes it unbelievably light and the narrow slide makes it very comfortable, especially for a lady. Very easy to shoot with one of the smoothest triggers around.

Whether she decides to keep it in a pocket book or someplace else you will want to be sure it is secured inside a holster to protect the trigger. It's DAO so keeping it holstered is a must no matter where it is located.
    I have a PM 9. I thought the CW 9 was metal?

By the way you do not need any tools to take down the PM 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    I have a PM 9. I thought the CW 9 was metal?

By the way you do not need any tools to take down the PM 9.
    No, the CW9 has a polymer lower, just like the PM9. The CW series is a "budget" model that has some cost cutting features such as, less machining on the slide, non-stamped markings, non-polygonal barrel, and, I believe, it doesn't have the very nice Elite trigger group that the PM series has.

As for "tools" to take down a PM series Kahr, you're right in the fact that you don't NEED one. However, when the pistol is new, a non marring tool, such as the plastic handle of a small screw driver can make it much easier to press out a sticky slide stop/assembly pin far enough to get a spent casing or something under it to pry it out.

VIP Member
    My wife loves her CW9. The only thing she did not originally like was the polymer grip. I bought her an A-Grip and installed it. Now she really enjoys it.

There is a thread about the A-Grip if you are interested.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    I highly recommend the Kahr for small hands, and not just because I went to college in Worcester, MA. One student has worked with an MK40 w/NS and can roll bowling pins at 25 yards with regularity.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I also have the CW9. Both my wife and I like it a lot. It will probably turn into my wife's carry gun pretty soon. However, the slide lock pin on mine has not loosened up at all. I've got about 400 rounds through it.

The pin is really stiff at first but after a while it'll start coming out w/o having to use a tool. On my P40 I used to tap it with a plastic covered hammer that I keep as part of my gun cleaning kit. Now, I hardly ever have to use the hammer. I've been cleaning the gun a couple times a week for three years so the pin has come in and out quite a few times.

My wife gives the CW9 two thumbs way up!!!

I know how you feel when the wife shoots better than you do. I've shot about 3000 rounds of pistol this year and have seen improvement. I get a little upset when I pull one out of a 8-10 inch target at 15 yards. My wife goes shooting once a year. She hangs 3 x 5 note cards at the same distance and shoots the staples out within 10 rounds.

Sponsored Links