Kahr PM9 vs PM40.

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 vs PM40. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for opinions from those who have owned/shot both. I currently have a PM9 and am wondering if I should have stepped up to ...

Thread: Kahr PM9 vs PM40.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

Kahr PM9 vs PM40.

I'm looking for opinions from those who have owned/shot both. I currently have a PM9 and am wondering if I should have stepped up to the PM40 since it's basically the same physical size? I've read here some that the .40 may be a little much on the poly frame. Is that true still with the newer PM40s? Is the recoil manageable with the .40? How's the reliability overall compared to the PM9? I like the fact that the PM9 gives me an extra shot and that ammo is cheap and easy to find. I'm not looking for a big debate on calibers just if the PM series is best suited in the 9mm or .40 for it's purpose.

Basically, I'm getting a little loaded up on pocket carry guns with the PM9, a NAA PUG .22 mag and Seecamp LWS .380 (on order) so I thought that maybe a change to the .40 may leave me with a little more versatility with my pocket gun options. Eventually (soon), I do plan on getting a Commander size 1911 .45 for times when I can go IWB so maybe I should stick with the PM9?

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I like the PM9 better. It shoots better for me... simple enough reason to like it better.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Having shot both i much prefer my PM9 to the pm40. However realize i am not a " fan " of the .40 in any pistol i have tried so ymmv.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I have shot both and do not feel that the recoil is bad from the 40 cal, but it does take me longer to get back on target. And the 40 chews the skin off the bottom of my finger. I prefer 40 cal's myself but prefer thea Kahr in 9mm.

I have a CW40 I love it. I find that its accurate for what it is. I can place the whole magazine into a spot as big as my fist at 25 yards. Not one jam in over 500 rounds. But.. your hand will feel it after a lot of rounds.
    I can shoot my Springfield XD 40 better but it is a lot thicker and it does not hide well.
    I carry the CW40 in a Galco Yaqui paddle. You never feel it on.

I have shot both the PM9 and the PM40.

I own, and infrequently carry the PM9. My 442 Revolver gets more carry and trigger time. For what it is, the PM9 is a great little gun, I just have other preferences.

I think the fact that I own a PM9 and not a PM40 should tell you the answer to your question.

Biker

As much as I hate to say it, you may want to stay away from the micro .40s. I had an MK40 and it was not reliable. On the flip side, I still have my MK9 and its totally reliable and very accurate.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I haven't shot either one, but I notice a whole lot more used PM40's on the market at a cheaper price than the PM9. That should be a hint.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Love my PM9. Manageable recoil and easy to keep on target for quick follow up shots. Shot a friends PM40 and it wasnt bad on recoil but (for me) follow up shots were a lot harder to keep on target. My dad and I both have PM9s and love them. My friend has the PM40 and loves his. The main reason he went with the 40 though is that he is a police officer and wanted his ammunition to be the same for all of his pistols. He shot my PM9 and likes it a lot as well. Bottom line: while I could do either, I feel better about being on target with the PM9

Thanks for the input everyone,

I'm feeling more comfy with my PM9 choice. I guess bigger isn't always better if it's not as reliable and easy to shoot. I'll just stick to getting a Commander sized 1911 when I jump up to something bigger than a 9mm.
    -.22 WMR (NAA PUG)
    -.380 (Seecamp LWS)
    -9mm (Kahr PM)
    -.45 (SA SS Loaded Champion or Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail?)

Just trying to keep properly diversified.

PM9 is a great choice. Just remember to properly break it in, per Kahr's instructions.

Then find your carry load and put a bunch of those through it to ensure reliability.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

Quote Originally Posted by stmcelroy View Post
    PM9 is a great choice. Just remember to properly break it in, per Kahr's instructions.

Then find your carry load and put a bunch of those through it to ensure reliability.
    Thanks stmcelroy,

I've ordered some Federal HST 147g loads based on some excellent reading here. Hopefully they'll be here sometime this week so I can hit the range this weekend. I also thought about the Federal HST 124g +P loads but it sounds like I won't need +P. I think I want to stay consistent and shoot the same loads both at the range and for carry.

Great choice, Wasabi!

P.S.- I love your work with sushi

Administrator
    You have chosen wisely.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I carry my kahr pm40 daily (untill my EMP gets back from the custom shop) I like the gun for the reliability. I have about1000 rounds through it right now and it has never given me a single problem. I just dont like the recoil it tears the skin off my hand after 25 rounds or so. I can be accurate with the pistol if I try but I feel this is definately and up close and personal defensive pistol (within 7ft or so)

Links