Springfield vs. Kimber - Page 2

Springfield vs. Kimber

This is a discussion on Springfield vs. Kimber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't worry about the warranty...the Korean cars offer a 10-year, 100,000 mile warranty, and NONE are going to last that long. Choose the gun that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Springfield vs. Kimber

Don't worry about the warranty...the Korean cars offer a 10-year, 100,000 mile warranty, and NONE are going to last that long. Choose the gun that fits you and has the features you want!

I have the EMP- GREAT GUN. I like the micro compact alot as well. I think its a good choice.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Well, I decided on the Springer. When I was in the shop today talking to the guy about the deal, someone came up, overheard our discussion and lifted up his shirt. Underneath was an SA Micro-.45. He said he loves it and has never had a problem with it. The 3 of us got into a chat and after that chat, and after reading this thread, I am going to go with the sa. Thanks everyone for your help. SA warranty, and the fact that my dealer had 4 used ultra-carries and 2 new ones, and no micros new or used for sale in the display case sold me on the idea of the springer by my side.

P.S. Went into the shop to clear up a little confusion about the other ffl, and ended up walking out with yet another handgun in my pocket to add to my collection, lol.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Congrats! I think you made an excellent choice.

I'm eyeballing a new .45 myself and really like the Springfield Loaded SS models. Any opinions on the Champion vs Micro vs Ultra Compact? The Champion looks like it may be the ticket for me with the 4" barrel and extra round capacity (7+1). The Kimber UC II SS is another .45 that I am considering but the bad CS and recent reliability reports have me steering clear.

Lead Moderator
    Having fired a 3" 1911 and owning a Champ. I prefer the Champ. The extra barrel length seems to help me with accuracy and the gun isn't that much bigger. Also , the full size grip means stock 7 rnd mags work.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Thanks rocky,

I didn't even think about the full size grip benefits outside of having the extra round. That's another reason to lean towards the Champion. It seems like the perfect compromise between the three sub 5" choices for my intended use (CC and range play). Any other good $1000ish Commander choices to consider or is the Champion the ticket?

Lead Moderator
    More , my Champ. came with very thin rubber grip panels. For my size the 4" barrel and full grip are about right. A bobbed MSH grip might help conceal better, but typically I have no problem concealing IWB with just a T shirt.
    Mine took about 50 rnds to break in using Hydrashocks. Also I happened to get a bad slide stop that failed to lock the slide occasionally, but SA took care of it quickly.
    I have carried my Champ for over a year now and am happy with it. The OD finish on the frame is worn in some spots , but heck its a carry gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well i now own my 46 1911's and none are kimber got rid of them the sprinfield is a way better pistol. the 2 kimbers i had both had problems, the first Desert warrior would not slide lock at all we tried every mag on the market, sent it back and they told me there is nothing they could do so they replaced it with another Desert warrior which when i shot the 3rd round through it the front sight fell off, literally feel off the gun. sent that back they fit a new slide to it and the minute it got back i sold it.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Guess it is all in what you want. Does the Micro work well? Is there a reason why you want to go to a different gun? Seems to me the 3" 1911's are sometimes hit or miss in reliability.
    I have had good service from Springfield, cannot say as I never owned a Kimber.
    From different ranges I have visited Kimber's of all sizes really are hit or miss with reliaibility! Sure the Kimber looks great & you paid more money for it than a Springfield but if you ever have to pull the trigger in a life threating situation --Do you want the gun to go BANG or thud ( a possible misfeed)--Do you Feel Lucky Today?

I own a Springfield Compact 45acp that I bought used and so far it is a great pistol and 100% reliable. Paid $425 atCabelas.I contacted Springfield and they said it was made in 2002 .I have about 200 rounds through it .I think they are discontinued.I have never owned a Kimber but this Springer is hard to beat.Hope this helps.
    Ron

I own two Kimbers but really want the Springfield Micro. Apparently, he wants it too. Keep the Springfield. They are great guns and SAR has great customer service.

Did I say, "Keep the Springfield ?" Yes. Keep it. ;)

HEY

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Don't worry about the warranty...the Korean cars offer a 10-year, 100,000 mile warranty, and NONE are going to last that long. Choose the gun that fits you and has the features you want!
    Stick with guns, buddy. IMHO.

BTW, my Hyundai is eleven years old with 122,192 miles on it. And has been to the shop for warranty work only once. Which is more than I can say for my dad's POS 2002 Ford Taurus, which sees the shop every other week for something or the other. Maybe mine's a lemon .
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Lead Moderator
    Keep it on topic guys. Thanks.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links