Walther PPS vs Glock 26

Walther PPS vs Glock 26

This is a discussion on Walther PPS vs Glock 26 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Friends, Can anybody contrast / compare the new Walther PPS with the Glock 26?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Walther PPS vs Glock 26

Friends,

Can anybody contrast / compare the new Walther PPS with the Glock 26?

The PPS is a little heavier but thinner. I really tried to like the PPS but I don't care for the balance or the feel. I know a lot of people will disagree. I am sure it's a great gun...just not for me. I do believe that the PPS will conceal easier.
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy to carry...

i cant compare but since i like the walther family, ill keep my eyes peeled
    on this thread since i own the g-26s big brother.(g-27)
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Crumrine View Post
    Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but the big differences to me are the G26's greater thickness and capacity (10+1) compared to the Walther PPS (6+1 capacity with smallest magazine). The Walther is a little over 0.90 inches thick in slide and grip, while the G26 is about 1.00 inches thick in the slide and 1.18 inches thick in the grip.

Both guns have a similar barrel length (3.5 inches) and grip height (two fingers on grip, pinky dangling). The DAO trigger design is similar in both. The Glock will weigh a little more when loaded, of course.

So the Walther is designed to be flatter and conceal better in belt carry, especially inside the waist band. The Glock gives you much greater ammo capacity. In choosing between them you have to decide which feature is most important to you.

I am puzzled why Glock doesn't produce a single stack 9mm like the PPS, as there is certainly a market for this. Glock did this in .45 caliber (G36 vs. G30).
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Unless the Glock 26 is totally and completely repugnant to you in terms of function, feel, accuracy & controllability, go with the Glock 26 until the PPS proves itself through use.

It could be a great gun. It could end up needing a lot of modifications by the factory after we find out what does and does not perform well under various conditions.

I'm not going to even consider the PPS viable till it gets some time in the field and we hear reports from the people who carry it in significant numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Crumrine View Post
    Friends,

Also consider the Springfield XD SC 9 with 10+1 (or 16+1 with extended mag), slightly shorter than the Walther, close to same weight, with grip safety, and slightly better priced.

Administrator
    The G26 is tried and true, with excellent customer and after market support. The PPS just doesnt and probably never will have that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd go with the Glock just because of availabilty of parts, accessories, leather, etc.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

They are both fine guns. The Glock 26 has been out longer and has more third-party support. The PPS is newer and holsters are just now appearing on the market. Me, I carry the PPS!
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

I sold a Glock to buy my PPS, but that dont mean anything. I just didnt care for the Glock. After now owning 2 Walthers, I have become a loyal Walther Follower
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

G26 vs. PPKs

I have owned each (still own and carry the G26) and dumped the PPKs due to unsolvable feeding problems.

Consolation prize: I prefer the looks of the PPKs.

Just re-read and realized you were asking about the PPS not PPKS

I would still endorse Glock over Walther based on my experience only.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I am puzzled why Glock doesn't produce a single stack 9mm like the PPS, as there is certainly a market for this. Glock did this in .45 caliber (G36 vs. G30).
    Believe it or not, they did....sort of. When I worked at a gun shop our BATFE handler stopped by for a routine visit and told me about the new Glocks he got to handle and shoot for an agency demo. A single stack 9mm and 40S&W, to be labeled the 37 and 38 models. I was so psyched, but more and more time went without seeing or hearing about their release, and then the 37 came out as a 45GAP pistol. Bummer! I have added the PPS to my wish list after handling one recently, as it is about as close as you can get to a single stack Glock.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Glock 37/38 story

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM-STICK Holsters View Post
    Believe it or not, they did....sort of. When I worked at a gun shop our BATFE handler stopped by for a routine visit and told me about the new Glocks he got to handle and shoot for an agency demo. A single stack 9mm and 40S&W, to be labeled the 37 and 38 models. I was so psyched, but more and more time went without seeing or hearing about their release, and then the 37 came out as a 45GAP pistol. Bummer! I have added the PPS to my wish list after handling one recently, as it is about as close as you can get to a single stack Glock.
    That is an interesting story. I guess Glock management changed the design and caliber on the G37 and G38, which may have been a mistake.

In addition to the Walther PPS, another close gun to a single stack Glock would be the polymer Kahr pistols, which are also DAO, striker fired and small for concealment.

I believe the Kahr P9 is quite comparable to the Walther PPS in size and capacity, and has more time on the market. The Kahr is also better looking than the PPS, in my opinion.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM-STICK Holsters View Post
    our BATFE handler stopped by for a routine visit and told me about the new Glocks he got to handle and shoot for an agency demo. A single stack 9mm and 40S&W, ...

Let it never be said that BATFE agents do not have a sadistic sense of humor.

I bet he was yanking your chain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links