Why Do You Like the Kimber Pro Carry -2???

This is a discussion on Why Do You Like the Kimber Pro Carry -2??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The owner of the range that I belong to has suggested buying a Kimber Pro Carry II. He says it's great with reliability and accuracy. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Like the Kimber Pro Carry -2???

Why Do You Like the Kimber Pro Carry -2???

The owner of the range that I belong to has suggested buying a Kimber Pro Carry II. He says it's great with reliability and accuracy. Please understand that I am not trying to start a controversy with the range owner. What are your opinions on this gun's:

1) reliability

2) accuracy of this gun

I have heard that some people have had problems with Kimbers, but for all I know this might be but a few complaints in the thousands who own Kimbers. This gun will be used for home defense.

Thank you from a Jarhead

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    The owner of the range that I belong to has suggested buying a Kimber Pro Carry II. He says it's great with reliability and accuracy. Please understand that I am not trying to start a controversy with the range owner. What are your opinions on this gun's:

1) reliability

2) accuracy of this gun

I have heard that some people have had problems with Kimbers, but for all I know this might be but a few complaints in the thousands who own Kimbers. This gun will be used for home defense.

Thank you from a Jarhead

I think you will find that about half the members of these gun forums originally landed on manufacturer specific forums to chase down boogers in their recently acquired weapons, and the other half just love to talk firearms... but all have, or will experience a new weapon with a glitch sooner or later. We, collectively, as gun forum participants do NOT represent a true cross section of users of any particular brand of firearm. If you were to do a statistical analysis of data harvested from gun boards pertaining to complaints vs. compliments for any given manufacturer, it would probably make you wonder how the heck they ever stay in business.

That said, I don't have a Pro Carry II, but I do have a Compact Stainless (Series I), that just keeps gettin' better, and better, and better My Bro-in-Law got a Pro Carry II that I shot last week. Very Nice! He doesn't deserve it.

I love my early Kimber Pro SLE. I'm not a fan of the new Series-II stuff, but most must work well due to the number of guns sold. It's not hard to remove the Swartz safety if you're not comfortable with it. Do a search here or on www.1911forum.com for a ton of reading about the new series Kimbers.

I have a Pro Carry 2 Stainless 40 S&W that I had reamed out to 10mm. It has seen 5K rounds of full power (220PF and higher) 10mm and shows no meaningful wear.

I use Metalform magazines and removed the FP safety. Replaced the externals with Ed Brown and the internals with a C&S Ultralight kit. Just the way I like my 1911s set up. Nothing against Kimber or MIM parts.

I prefer the traditional bushing barrel but the bull barrel isn't too bad. I live with it.

I say buy one. You'll love it.

You'll have to take off the rear sight to remove the FP safety crap. Take off the rear sight, remove the gate plunger and spring; put the rear sight back in the dovetail. Done. Leave the "b" shaped part in there as it acts to keep the sear and disconnector centered in the frame. It won't hurt anything but I like it in there just to make sure everything stays aligned.

Here is the internals where the 'b' shaped plunger is on the right side of the frame. You depress the grip safety whose tang pushes up on this 'b' shaped piece and that depresses the plunger in the slide which moves the gate out of the way for the FP to slide forward to hit the primer.

Here is the 'b' shaped piece.

Here it is resting in the frame slot.

Here it is stock but after the 10mm chamber ream.

Here it is now with the above changes. Only things left is a bobtail and XS Big Dot sights.

ETA: Here's a target shot offhand at 50 feet.

Nice reply Tubby! Exactly what I would do with a Series II Pro. Check out my original series Kimber Pro SLE that I had bobtailed...on the right next to my Brown bobtail...Dump those Series II parts!

Kimber II Pro Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    What are your opinions on this gun's:
    1) reliability
    2) accuracy
    I've had a Kimber Pro CDP for about 3 years, buying it slightly used from the original owner. I have fired about 1000 rounds through it with no problems, so I'd say the reliability has been good. The accuracy is also good, and comparable to 5 inch Colt 1911s I own.

My only modifications to the gun are:

1. Replace ambi safety with Ed Brown single side safety.
    2. Replace Kimber magazines with 8 round Wilson magazines.
    3. Replace plastic mainspring housing with steel part.
    4. Replace stock wood grips with thin Alumagrips.

I have carried the gun a fair amount, and it conceals well because of its thin profile. I use a Kramer belt scabbard for carry.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have the Pro CDP II...it has been flawless and 'dead on', right out of the box...carried it for about two years until I got the Ultra CDP II which is now my EDC (a little easier to conceal). The Pro stays in the nightstand, but sometimes goes out for a drive with me. Both are great guns...OMO, others may vary!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I recently picked up a new PC II and I love it. It has shot Federal Hydra-shoks, Magtech ball ammo, Magtech Defense and Ultramax LRN ammo accurately and without a hitch. It is amazingly accurate with the Magtech stuff.

VIP Member
    I'm biased....I own two, both are Pro-Carry HDII. The have stainless frame & slide. One is .45acp, the other is .38Super.

Both are great, the only complaint I had was the magazines in the .45. I switched to Wilsons' & haven't had any more FTF issues.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

From working in a shop ....if you can find a Kimber pro I ? Go for it , when the IIseries came out alot of people were having promblems with them , mostly trigger but they've seemed to have worked out the bugs with it from my experience .

My Pro CDP II had FTFeed issues every 30 rnds or so until I had put 375 rnds through it (the Kimber 400 rnd break-in period). The problem was that the slide would lock back with rnds still in the magazine. Had planned on getting some Wilson 47D mags which others had said would fix the problem, but since around 375 rnds, it has been flawless eating everything I put in it. It was always dead-on accurate from the box. I carry it every day (concealing it's size well as having a "big frame" ). I could not be more pleased.
    Kimber Pro CDP II

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine A.D. 354-430

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I have a Pro Carry 2 Stainless 40 S&W that I had reamed out to 10mm. It has seen 5K rounds of full power (220PF and higher) 10mm and shows no meaningful wear.

I use Metalform magazines and removed the FP safety. Replaced the externals with Ed Brown and the internals with a C&S Ultralight kit. Just the way I like my 1911s set up. Nothing against Kimber or MIM parts.

I prefer the traditional bushing barrel but the bull barrel isn't too bad. I live with it.

I say buy one. You'll love it.

You'll have to take off the rear sight to remove the FP safety crap. Take off the rear sight, remove the gate plunger and spring; put the rear sight back in the dovetail. Done. Leave the "b" shaped part in there as it acts to keep the sear and disconnector centered in the frame. It won't hurt anything but I like it in there just to make sure everything stays aligned.

Here is the internals where the 'b' shaped plunger is on the right side of the frame. You depress the grip safety whose tang pushes up on this 'b' shaped piece and that depresses the plunger in the slide which moves the gate out of the way for the FP to slide forward to hit the primer.

Here is the 'b' shaped piece.

Here it is resting in the frame slot.

Here it is stock but after the 10mm chamber ream.

Here it is now with the above changes. Only things left is a bobtail and XS Big Dot sights.

ETA: Here's a target shot offhand at 50 feet.

Tubby45,

I don't mean to pry but wouldn't you have been better off buying a Dan Wesson Series 70 CBOB in 10mm and using it as your plateform?

Probably half the cost and even less trouble, just courious as to why you decided on the Kimber to do all that? Kinda spendy compared.

To keep to the thread, I have a Kimber Tac Pro that is a sweet gun and before that gun I was training with an older but very customized Colt by Don Williams. To my surprise the Kimber out performed the Colt in every aspect and the trigger on the Tac Pro is the best one I have felt on any Kimber I own or have owned, guess I got lucky on that one. To be fair I did have some feeding issues at the start but I think it was from where Kimber sprays the barrel or "feed ramp" rather with the same stuff they use on the slide. I don't know what it is, but it caused the rounds to have trouble finding the chamber without some help from me pushing the slide forward to seat it until the "paint" or "coating" wore a shiny metal groove on the feed ramp from the rds going in. Only happened maybe 8-10 times total and then it was fine but I can't understand why Kimber does that.

Only issue with a great gun.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Tubby45,

I don't mean to pry but wouldn't you have been better off buying a Dan Wesson Series 70 CBOB in 10mm and using it as your plateform?
    That was my original intention but I couldn't find one under $1200 when they first came out. This was the next best thing

Probably half the cost and even less trouble, just courious as to why you decided on the Kimber to do all that? Kinda spendy compared.
    This gun cost me $829 shipped. I have $200 in parts right now with another $150 to go. This gun is also an aluminum frame and is a lot lighter than the steel DW Bobber.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    That was my original intention but I couldn't find one under $1200 when they first came out. This was the next best thing
    Ah, I see, that is spendy for a CBOB compared to one in .45.

This gun cost me $829 shipped. I have $200 in parts right now with another $150 to go. This gun is also an aluminum frame and is a lot lighter than the steel DW Bobber.
    I couldn't tell that it was Alum as you posted stainless and I assumed it was. The alum frame makes a big difference.

Makes sence!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Stainless slide on aluminum frame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links