Is accuracy affected in DA mode in Sig 229-40 cal. pistol?

This is a discussion on Is accuracy affected in DA mode in Sig 229-40 cal. pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am strongly considering buying a Sig 229-40 caliber -with a DA/SA trigger system ! This handgun would be kept in my bedroom drawer for ...

Thread: Is accuracy affected in DA mode in Sig 229-40 cal. pistol?

Is accuracy affected in DA mode in Sig 229-40 cal. pistol?

I am strongly considering buying a Sig 229-40 caliber -with a DA/SA trigger system ! This handgun would be kept in my bedroom drawer for uninvited vistors! My question is --Does this gun kept in the DA trigger mode (aprox. 10 lb. pull) throw off your accuracy? I am aware that this is a built in safety to prevent accidental firing of this gun! My safety is my trigger finger-which never goes on the trigger unless I plan to stop a lethal threat to myself or my family!

Is your accuracy affected in DA mode?

Always a Marine!

For home defense would the DAK trigger system be better?

Happy New Year!
    Last edited by Sneaky; January 1st, 2008 at 12:21 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Being an old sixgunner, I am MORE accurate with the DA first shot. That is why I usually carry my DAK P229 in preference to my standard decocker P229. Your mileage may vary.

Sig P229 has great DA/SA trigger

My Sig P229 in .40 is the old fashioned DA/SA with decocker, and I have practiced with the DA/SA transition quite a bit at the range. It goes from a 10 pound DA pull to a 4.5 pound SA pull between first and second shots.

I have other guns with a DA/SA trigger system, and I believe the Sig P229 has the best example of this system that I have seen. The DA pull is so smooth that it does not seem to affect the accuracy of the first shot, and I am confident that I can place the first shot as well as subsequent SA shots with the 4.5 pound trigger pull.

I would advise frequent practice of the DA/SA transition at the range, and you will soon master it and gain confidence in your accuracy.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Administrator
    The first DA shot is a longer pull than a SA, but the guns accuracy will not change... maybe yours, but not the guns. The DAK trigger wont solve this issue. Only practice will.
    "Just blame Sixto"

+1 SIXTO.....I carry my P229/.40....and all I can say is practice, practice, practice.....and then practice some more.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

If you are trying to fling lead really fast, then I say yes it will affect accuracy. Pulling the heavy trigger will tend to shift the gun in your hand, IMHO.

At the range shooting for accuracy if you do your part, there should be little to no difference.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

+1 everyone above. Sometimes if I haven't practiced in a while or I get to trigger happy my first shot will be the off to right by the width of my pinkie.
    Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
    Muhammad Ali

It's always my SECOND shot that's off with a Sig. Just can't get used to the different trigger pulls.

Administrator

Here is a nice 3 Page SHOOTING Times article on the SIG DAK Trigger.
    CLICK HERE.
    It's well written.

I would never pick a trigger system for another shooter. What is good for me might stink for you.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I love my DAK system on my 229 .40. I've only got the 1 trigger pull to learn. I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind a DA/SA system.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    The first shot on a DA/SA - DAK - or DAO Auto is somewhat similar in feel to a DA revolver. It's nothing like a single action or striker fired pistol.

If you have never fired a DA/SA auto , I suggest try before you buy.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I have that exact P229 with the DA/SA trigger and the de-cocker. I absolutely love the Sig .40. My first shot goes a little high, all other shots are dead on target. Best possible configuration for a home defense pistol. My other weapon is the 1911 GSR 4" .5. I prefer the P229. I want a longer first pull to give me that little extra milli-second to make sure I want to fire.

A month or so ago I double tapped an opposum kind of by accident and it brought home the need for a little more practice. I live in the country and this opposum had been a dog food thief for quite some time and pretty quick on his feet until he got so fat he couldn't run well. Well I caught him out there one night and after the long double action pull I instantly fired again with the short draw of the single action. At least I hit him with both shots but it did get my attention and remind me of the need for more practice.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    I have that exact P229 with the DA/SA trigger and the de-cocker. I absolutely love the Sig .40. My first shot goes a little high, all other shots are dead on target. Best possible configuration for a home defense pistol. My other weapon is the 1911 GSR 4" .5. I prefer the P229. I want a longer first pull to give me that little extra milli-second to make sure I want to fire.

Sounds wise to me! Nothing that practice,practice, & practive can't master!

Semper Fi Till The Day I Die

Time to make the coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    A month or so ago I double tapped an opposum kind of by accident and it brought home the need for a little more practice. I live in the country and this opposum had been a dog food thief for quite some time and pretty quick on his feet until he got so fat he couldn't run well. Well I caught him out there one night and after the long double action pull I instantly fired again with the short draw of the single action. At least I hit him with both shots but it did get my attention and remind me of the need for more practice.
    I've done the exact same thing several times after not shooting the Sig for a while and shooting my Glocks alot. It takes me several mags of shooting to get back to that light/smooth Sig sa pull!

Links