Ever regret a purchase?

This is a discussion on Ever regret a purchase? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I almost purchased a Sig P239 SAS yesterday. I decided not to - just could not bring myself to spend that much money. So I ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ever regret a purchase?

VIP Member
    I almost purchased a Sig P239 SAS yesterday. I decided not to - just could not bring myself to spend that much money. So I avoided a purchase I probably would have regretted.

Don't misunderstand, the P239 SAS is an awesome gun, but it was just too much for me to spend on a carry gun. Just my thought, your miliage will vary.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dagor2k View Post
    I was looking at an XD40SC for carry - anything you'd like to share about your regrets with that purchase?
    You will here very few negatives on the XD40SC.

Only regret in a firearm purchase was the Para Slim Hawg. It is a very nice micro 1911, but for me, it doesn't really fill a necessary purpose. I'll chalk that one up to being young, naive, and a victim of "the bug."

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Yes. I recently bought a Sig 225. It was in rough shape. The dealer put it in the books before I had fully made up my mind, so I went with it. It refused to feed hollow point ammo. The end of the bullet would catch on the bottom of the barrel slide. The barrel was very loose. Even when closed, I could move the barrel around like I had the slide racked. It was wildly inaccurate. Some of my shots completely missed the target paper at 10-15 yards (It's not me, I shot 5-6 inch groups with my .45 at that distance with 9 different kinds of ammo).

Well, long story short, (too late) I brought it back yesterday and they would have had to send it back to Sig. So I just traded it in for a Sig Certified 229 .40. This one is in pristine condition. The only marks on it are the holster wear from yesterday and today. I just took it out back and got a nice 5-6 inch group at 10-15 yards on my first mag. At first it had trouble feeding ammo, but this time it's because they put in a new barrel and the top of the slide is a bit sharp so the first few bullets hung up trying to make the corner into the pipe.

I'm going to update my Sig 225 thread with all this and put up pics of the new 229. I just wanted to wait until I knew I was going to keep this one after the problems with the last one.

Taurus PT 22. (PT=Piece of Trash)

I have no trouble concealing a 220, 226, 229, Gov. model or Commander size 1911. Sounds like the dealer wants to sell you a gun to me. The 228 is a great pistol.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    The only regrets I have on purchasing firearms is I waited so long to purchase them. I should have bought them a long time ago when they were cheaper.
    You know I sit and listen to my Dad talk about some of his gun purchases he made back in the early 50s. Buying a new gun for twenty dollars would be soooo nice. I know that twenty was a lot back then, but I would love buying todays guns ( or old guns for that matter) for the prices back then!!

I have had a 225, 228, and a 229 in the past and they were all excellent guns. Top quality.

I regretted buying a H&K2000SK, in 40 cal, it was just too uncomfortable for IWB carry, I went back to my Glock 27.

rettom60

I have bought everything from a hipoint 9mm pistol to my Sig and a bunch inbetween. I don't regret any of them even the hipoints. The hipoint makes a fine "shove under the couch" gun for the house or a kitchen drawer gun. Its been very reliable for hundreds of rounds (was my first handgun) and has yet to ever fail on me.

I DO regret one rifle purchase though. I bought a 357 lever action with the idea of doing cowboy action but I bought a 9 round only carbine. I should have bought the longer one that holds more rounds. I'm thinking about selling it so that I can get the longer 357 lever action. I don't regret the gun itself, its just that its the wrong tool for the job at hand.

Biggest POS was a Llama before I knew they weren't parts compatible with 1911's. I couldn't give that sucker away!

Quote Originally Posted by DrBart2 View Post
    You know I sit and listen to my Dad talk about some of his gun purchases he made back in the early 50s. Buying a new gun for twenty dollars would be soooo nice. I know that twenty was a lot back then, but I would love buying todays guns ( or old guns for that matter) for the prices back then!!
    Trust me friend, buy as many as you can now. Twenty or thirty years from now you (or your kids) will be saying the same thing about today's guns at today's prices. Guns never get cheaper and they never go out of style.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Ever regret a purchase?
    Every firearm purchase I've made that should have been made prior to 1986, actually, including the purchase of a handful of full-auto rifles that would have made me smile at $5-15K a pop when sold. Ah, me. What else is new.

Seriously, though ... not really. I think about a given gun quite awhile before purchasing. It's rare that I acquire one I have no intention of using or that's a bad match. A hip/leg injury is altering what I'm able to comfortably shoot well, but that's a bit out of my control. Otherwise, it's all good.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thumbs up No regrets here!

No regrets here. As for the XD40sc, I love mine as well as my PT145 Taurus. They are literally identical in size and believe it or not, the Taurus is just as accurate and reliable. Taurus has come a long way with their PT145 Millenium Autos and 10 rounds of 45 in a sub compact ain't nothing to sneeze at. I've probably fired at least 2,000 rounds total between the two with the Taurus getting the lions share of the range time. Not one issue with either gun.

Morintp,
    Just a hunch here but I would be willing to bet that P225 they sold you was actually a commercially marked P-6. The barrels on the early ones were made for the contract spec to load FMJ ammo. The later ones had a redesigned feed ramp and could handle HP's. Either way, it sounds like that one was kind of worn out!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links