Kel-tec P-11 Picture and Info Thread!

This is a discussion on Kel-tec P-11 Picture and Info Thread! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently been taking a look at the 9mm Kel Tec P-11 pistol. Who has any experience with this pistol? Do you like it or dislike ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-tec P-11 Picture and Info Thread!

Kel-tec P-11 Picture and Info Thread!

Recently been taking a look at the 9mm Kel Tec P-11 pistol. Who has any experience with this pistol? Do you like it or dislike it? Have you ever carried one? If you do carry, please post pics on the method of carry that seems to work best.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

2. Remove Ads

I had one and didn't like it. It was reliable, but the trigger was terrible. I couldn't get past it. The PF9 has a much better trigger and is a lot thinner and lighter. I would prefer that for CCW. Finding a holster for the P11 is a PITA as well.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I've had one for several years. I mostly keep it next to me on the night stand and find myself toting a P3AT in my pocket. I like the P11 and have shot it quite bit. It is accurate and works well for point shooting. With a belt clip it carrys well stuffed down the right side of my right western boot. One thing to be careful with is to avoid any limp wristing. however I do enjoy shooting it and I don't mind the kick of a light pistol. Oh I've added mag extensions, trigger shoe and the belt clip. I've also done a little fluff and buff.

tc
    I have one and I do not like it. The trigger pull is way too heavy and the recoil is painful to the area between my thumb and forefinger. I have also had some issues with the slide not locking forward fully. I keep it in the console of my truck as a BUG.

I carry a P11 as a secondary during the winter either in an IWB or pocket carry for a coat. In summer, I carry it as a primary in IWB, Smartcarry or pocket carry depending on what I'm wearing.

I find it 100% reliable with 115 or 124 gr ammo, easy to shoot, can use Smith 69xx or 59xx mags with mag fillers for more grip surface and you need to keep from limp wristing it.

Size comparison with 6946, P11 and P32

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I've got one that I've owned ever since they first came out.I've put maybe 3,000 rounds through it.It is very reliable with any kind of ammo,even my reloads but as people say it has a terrible trigger.It is almost like a 2 stage trigger.I can start pulling back on it and I can feel it when it reaches a certain point,this is my hold point and then it takes just a hair more and it will release for a shot which is pretty accurate.Head shots out to 10 yards is no problem,body shots out to 25 yards is okay too.Right now though I have an itch for a kahr pm9.You all know how that is,I'm just going to have to get one.There is a gun show this coming weekend at market hall here in dallas,I may have to get one,maybe that will stop this itch.sj

You might want to check out the SKYY CPX-1; better trigger, better fit and finish and no fluff & buff required.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
    You might want to check out the SKYY CPX-1; better trigger, better fit and finish and no fluff & buff required.
    I'm not so sure I would trust that company, read (on their own forums) of some pretty severe failures of the weapon, other than normal FTF,FTE,etc..

That and the operation just seems shady, they seem to have "disappeared" but you can still buy their guns.. interesting idea!
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Is the polymer model just as reliable?

I have three KelTec's...a .32, the .380, and the P-11 (9mm). All are small and easy to conceal. All three have been flawless, but none are fun to shoot at the range, just ask my 'finger'..that given I know that they WILL all go Boom when required to do so.

That said, my wife carries the .32, and the other two sit in the safe...although I will occasionally use one of the other two.

My Kimber remains my EDC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i got one and it has been one of the best guns in the house. get the kel tec belt clip and it makes one good carry gun. the only thing that most do not like about the p11 is the long trigger pull. the newer p11 have the 8 pound trigger, the older ones are 10 pounds. no matter it is a long pull. there are several things that you can do to make it better. kel tec org has all the info that any kel tec owner needs. my p11 has never given me any problems, it goes bang when i want it to. come to think about it my p3at does also.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

The more you shoot the P11 the better the trigger gets. IMO, it's about like a double action revolver. When I carry mine it usually rides in a Milt Sparks VM II.

I'm not a fan of Kel-tec. I bought a P11 and had it all of about two days and got rid of it. A lot of people on here seem to like them but they're not my cup of tea. I Personally don't really care for compact pistols. I have always like full size Handguns but if I where going to get something small to carry it would ether be the XDsc or one of the Millennium Pro series from Taurus.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Joey; January 3rd, 2008 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    Is the polymer model just as reliable?

Kel-tec only makes polymer framed handguns, you might be thinking of Kahr who makes steel and polymer framed guns.

I've owned a few P11's over the years and while they never stuck around long, they always worked. Heck even the P40 that I owned for a bit was reliable.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

I have bad luck with Kel-tec guns. The first was the 9mm. It would fail to feed about every ninth shot, so I took it to a good gunsmith. I thought that it may have been a feed ramp problem. He worked and worked on that gun. It improved but still had problems and I found it unreliable. The other Kel-tec is the little .380. It failed completely after thirty rounds. It won't fire at all. I disassembled, cleaned it, but no success. Still won't fire. When I read the article about this gun that was in the American Rifleman, they had the same problem. They sent the gun back to Kel-tec, who repaired it and sent it back to them. The article said that the repaired gun worked well for them. Mine is still sitting in the safe. I haven't sent it back to them. For some reason I can't locate the original sales receipt, and they won't fix it without it. At least that is what they told me. To be honest, I haven't really looked that hard for the receipt. I guess I should, but I have lost all trust in Kel-tec products and wouldn't want to trust one to save my life. My Dad has the .380 Kel-tec and hasn't had any trouble with his. I may just be unlucky with that brand. I know several people who love Kel-tec products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links