Snubbies, Snubbies, Snubbies...I love our stable of Snubbies

This is a discussion on Snubbies, Snubbies, Snubbies...I love our stable of Snubbies within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You can't have too many snubs!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snubbies, Snubbies, Snubbies...I love our stable of Snubbies

You can't have too many snubs!
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

2. Remove Ads

I got a Chief's Special years ago and, at the time of acquisition, figured the handgun collection was complete as far as the snub-nosed revolver was concerned.

The silly things just kept popping in.

I still prefer 4-inch K-Frame S&W revolvers and think the 3-inch versions could be nice.

The two Colts on the left are:
    Top, Detective Special from 1966
    Bottom, Banker's Special from 1932

The four Smith & Wesson revolvers on the right are, from the top:
    Chief's Special from 1952
    Model 642 from 1998
    Military & Police from 1951
    Model 10 from 1996

The Detective Special has superior handling characteristics to the J-Frame S&W revolver and is much like shooting the K-Frame S&W snubs. Holds six shots too.

I've found that I prefer the Smith & Wesson K-Frame .38 Special snubs over all others. Both the 1951 square butt and the 1996 vintage round butt carry and shoot like a dream, being very accurate and soaking up recoil of my favored 158 grain +P loads. It really isn't much more effort to hide and carry them IWB than it is to tote the J-Frame revolvers.

J-Frames are for concealment so I don't do oversized grips of any type. Took the factory provided Uncle Mike's Boot grips from the S&W Model 642 the moment it arrived home and put on some S&W checkered walnut grip panels. It's still shootable and hides better. Walnut doesn't grip clothing like the rubber can. My fingers are too long to really do justice to the J-Frame revolver but I can shoot them fairly well at distance if I bear down and pay close attention. Still will fling the odd flyer on occasion.

The 2-inch Model 10 and the Model 642 represent the last Smith & Wesson revolvers that were new purchases. Can't handle the S&W models with the lock.

You know its funny, but with the good selection of guns I have to carry, I find myself picking up my S&W Airweight +P more than any other. I guess it's because it is so light and easily concealed in my pants pocket.

BTW--I thought I had a large collection of guns. After coming to these forums I realize that my collection pales compared to some of yours!! I'm jealous! LOL

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    bmc:

Those are some slick snubs, man. I am especially impressed with those two old Colts.

I have a Detective Special on layaway at my favorite pawn shop, but it's a later (shrouded ejector rod...probably 1979 based on the serial number) model. It does have the exposed firing pin on the hammer, though. Old school-ish, ya know?

Not the hard-core old-school, but it was cheap 'cause it hadn't experienced TLC in its lifetime.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Nice ... one of these days ...

Well Randy, since you've got representative specimens of most other makers' snubbie offerings you may as well add a genuine Colt to the stable.

I used to think the old Colt DA revolvers with their exposed ejector rods hanging out in space looked funky and outdated. Like "your father's Oldsmobile" or the "dinette sets" of the Fifties. I longed for one of the Detective Specials with the shrouded ejector rod and the larger, hand-filling grips. Never got around to picking up one and later went ga-ga over classic Coke...uh Colt and now drool over the old pre-69 vintage Colt revolvers on GunBroker. I even like the plodding ol' Official Police (a Fort Worth policeman who was a family friend carried one in the late 50's/early 60's). I still think that the later Detective Specials with the shrouded ejector rods are svelte and pretty enough to make one's eye's water, whether in blue or nickel.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Ghettokracker71:

The bottom right one is my wife's new Charter Undercover Lite. I did a range report on it today.
    OH,did you? I need to see if I can find it (did you make a thread?)

Its funny,the other day I was researching the Charter Arms revolvers,...and of course thats my fav. looking one in the pics

(very ,VERY nice collection.)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Man, there IS something great about snubby's. Like someone posted earlier - they are cool classics that still serve their perpose. There has been such interest in them that we've recently added a Snubby Class to our course listing.

Good stuff.
    Tony Siciliano
    Senior Instructor
    LMS Defense - East Coast
    tonysiciliano@lmsdefense.com
    www.lmsdefense.com
    Join us on the LMSD Forum

I got several that I like. I have a 642, 640(357), 60(357), 66 2 1/2 inch,13 3 inch, 629 3 inch and I love them all. Steve48

Randy;

Would it be cool or what for you to have a sample of each major manufacturer of a snubbie revolver? You're almost there anyway. What's left, a Ruger SP 101?

Your S&W Model 442 is a better-looking alternative to my Model 642. I should have gone with the 442. I like blued guns best.

Please show us your Detective Special when you get it.

bmcgilvray:

Yeah, I guess I am lacking a Ruger. That's odd, 'cause they are rock-solid weapons, and that is quality that appeals to me a great deal. And I will definitely show the Detective Special...maybe some before and after (I give it some TLC). After that I was thinking of a Charter Off-Duty....

So little time, so many snubbies....

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Only had the time/$$ to shoot it a little bit so far but it seems nice enough. It sure turns heads when you shoot it at the range! Only real gripes are that its expensive to feed it and I'm having a hell of a time shooting it with any accuracy. Right off the bat with my P229 I did decently but I'm horrible with this still after 2-300 rounds and I don't know why. Eh just an excuse to shoot it more right?

AB-SO-LUTE-LEE !!

Needing to shoot more is never a bad thing!

VIP Member
    Not a huge fan of the snubby for a primary carry, but I certainly understand their appeal to many folks. Here's my representative of the breed.
    Attached Images
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have a one horse stable the S&W 642.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links