Narrowed it down...which would be the best pick?

This is a discussion on Narrowed it down...which would be the best pick? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so I'm STILL looking for my first carry gun, and have been trying out some guns over the past few months... I did rule ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Narrowed it down...which would be the best pick?

Narrowed it down...which would be the best pick?

OK, so I'm STILL looking for my first carry gun, and have been trying out some guns over the past few months... I did rule out the semi autos.

Why would I pick a revolver to carry over the 1911s'? Namely the S&W 638 model over the EMP?

Not new to shooting, just carrying. And, I'm blessed to have a good indoor range about a mile from my house, so practicing isn't much of an issue.

You guys know your stuff. Whatcha think?
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm not sure I understand correctly - if you "did rule out semi autos," how is the EMP a choice? Just trying to clarify...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

JD
    Administrator
    Yeah I'm a bit lost on what you're asking as well...

Yeah, sorry about that. Semi auto in the way of the Kahr, xd, M&P. I was thinking thickness. (still didn't like the Kahr even though it was thin)

JD
    Administrator
    OK....

So are you stating that you are down to the EMP or the Smith 638 and have ruled out the Kahr, XD and M&P???

JD
    Administrator
    If your looking at the 638 and the EMP....

I'd have to go with the EMP 9+1 of 9mm +P vs. 5 .38s in the 638.

Senior Moderator
    I'd have to go with the EMP 9+1 of 9mm +P vs. 5 .38s in the 638
    I second that.
    Better to have too much ammo than not enough...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

What gets me is that the cylinder of that revolver is the same thickness as an auto, just less of it.

Reliability - 638
    Capacity - EMP

Real answer? Neither. Dress around the gun man. It's worth it.

Yes. Husband and police officer cousin think the snubby would be the best because of the ease of use, and carry. Although I've not shot the EMP, I do like the way it fits in my hand. I have always liked the 1911 style, mainly because of the grip safety.

I was surprised at how long and hard of a trigger pull the 638 was. But, would the emp have a light, perhaps too light trigger pull?

Yep, the lack of rounds in the revolver is a concern as well.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MollyJ2 View Post
    Yes. Husband and police officer cousin think the snubby would be the best because of the ease of use, and carry. Although I've not shot the EMP, I do like the way it fits in my hand. I have always liked the 1911 style, mainly because of the grip safety.

I was surprised at how long and hard of a trigger pull the 638 was. But, would the emp have a light, perhaps too light trigger pull?
    Welcome to what most men do to their wives...

Force feeding of the J-Frame, don't get me wrong, the J-Frame is a great CCW piece, but it's not the only answer.

The recoil spring on the EMP is relatively light, as long as you can cycle the slide easily, I don't think you'll have any issues.

I had a Smith 642 and my wife hated it for the exact same reason, pulling the trigger more than 3 times was a PITA, but she loves her 1911s (which she came to by her own decisions)

If this is your first gun, get the one that you like, and will want to shoot.

I'd have to go with the EMP, I think you'll be better off in the long run.

The only reason I don't carry a revolver is capacity. I would pick the semi if it were me, but it's not me. Are you significantly better with the revolver? Enough that it makes up for needing to reload sooner?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

JD
    Administrator
    Also, you'll probably have an easier time concealing the extra mag as opposed to a speed loader.

Well, since you did ask........ EMP.

Not only do you benefit fr the extra capacity, but I'll go ahead and piss off all the wheel gun guys out there and offer that I'd bet that you'll be significantly more accurate with it compared to shooting the 638 double action.

Matiki,
    Nope, I've only shot it once, and the shot placement was a little high.

JD, it was YOUR WIFE who showed me the EMP! I spotted it, and that was all it took. Oh my does if fit nicely!

My concern with the 1911 is that it is not DA. I was thinking that DA was the way to for me. Not sure how light of a trigger the 1911's are.

Should have added "the guy behind the gun counter" to the list of revolver fans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links