report on Desert Warrior

report on Desert Warrior

This is a discussion on report on Desert Warrior within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well i got to shoot my new peice a little at the deer lease and a little today in the rice field. So far i ...

Thread: report on Desert Warrior

report on Desert Warrior

Well i got to shoot my new peice a little at the deer lease and a little today in the rice field. So far i haven't been to a "range", just been shooting cans. I haven't had any malfunctions while firing. Once, after i put the mag in and let go with the slide release lever it failed to go all the way to battery, but if i rack the slide manually from open position it has no problems!!! This is my first 1911, all i have ever shot was my glock and it has NEVER had any malfunctions, so I don't know if i am being paranoid or not, but i noticed alot of brass particles in the action after/while firing the gun....Is this normal? I have never noticed it with my "ugly gun".
    "Here Newt, It's better to have that and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Woodrow F. Call

Assistant Administrator
    We need pics!!

What is the nature of ''brass particles"? Small, large, flakes?

Also compare the empty cases ... areas of abrasion visible etc?

Sometimes harsh extraction/ejection shaves brass off cases. If you ID marks on cases and relate to particle characteristics it might help - plus too - any brass coloration on breech face, extractor claw or ejector tip???
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    All of the things that you mentioned are normal for a 1911. They will go away after you get through the break in. That is 500 or so rounds. Don't clean during the break in, just add a bit of lube when it goes dry.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

P95....the particles are very small, did not find any corresponding marks on casings......I am back at work for the next four night so I will try to shoot it again on tues. and post up some pics. I have only shot about 200 rds so far. It is shooting low-left best i can tell. the sights are not adjustable for elavation but i am assuming i can move the rear sight a litlle??????
    "Here Newt, It's better to have that and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Woodrow F. Call

Assistant Administrator
    Knuckle may well be right. Get it broken in and then re-evaluate. Wouldn't worry about real small particles.

The rear sight I am imagining should be ''driftable'' in it's dovetail - set gun up on firm padded base and use a brass rod as a drift - and tap assertively but not too hard. Make a Sharpie witness mark first and that can help assess how much you have moved. A mere 1/32" to 1/16" might well be enough.

Make a change - shoot to test - change some more if needed. A slight elevation error should not be too much of a biggie.
    Chris - P95

thanks....i am gonna wait till I shoot some real targets at some known distances before i make any changes. Does it make a difference when closing slide with lever or "pulling back"?

Assistant Administrator
    Does it make a difference when closing slide with lever or "pulling back"?
    Lever release should be OK but on balance IMO ''sling-shot'' with pulling slide back and releasing abruptly even better ensures a round going fully into battery.
    Chris - P95

thanks

The small particales are perfectly normal, if it bothers you shoot nickel cases and you won't have it at all. But it is nothing to worry about. Shooting low can be corrected by viewing more of the front sight. I too would wait to move the rear sight until you have actual targets to shoot at.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Sponsored Links