PPS vs P9 vs ?

PPS vs P9 vs ?

This is a discussion on PPS vs P9 vs ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to find a decent 9mm single stack concealment firearm. Just returned from local gun store and they did not have either the ...

Thread: PPS vs P9 vs ?

PPS vs P9 vs ?

I am trying to find a decent 9mm single stack concealment firearm. Just returned from local gun store and they did not have either the Walther or the Kahr (small town). I am interested in any feedback from owners/shooters of the two pistols, and any other pistol choices I am overlooking. I appreciate your help. Very informative site.
    JW

Administrator
    I cant enough good things about Kahr, if you have any specific questions, fire away, I'll answer.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Several candidates

I think that single stack 9mm pistols are a good choice for concealed carry, and there are quite a few on the market. The best candidates in my opinion are:

1. Kahr polymer frame P9 or PM9 - Thin and lightweight for pocket or IWB belt carry.

2. Kahr steel frame K9 or MK9 - Equally thin as above but with more weight, less recoil and perhaps a better reputation for durability and reliability than the polymer.

3. Walther PPS - New gun on the market that is very thin with pretty good reviews by early owners.

4. Sig P239 - An old classic with aluminum frame that is heavier than above, but very reliable and easy to shoot well.

5. S&W model 3913 - Another old classic that is similar in many ways to the Sig P239, but with a thumb safety.

6. 1911s in 9mm - Such as Kimber Aegis or Springfield EMP - More expensive but thin and concealable with thumb safety and cocked and locked carry.

Personally I have been using a Kahr MK9 for a deep concealment small 9mm worn IWB, and I really like it for that application.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Administrator
    Everytime you post that picture Pogo, I want to get another MK.
    "Just blame Sixto"

How is the MK9 for controllability. It looks like a dangling pinky hold. I like what I have read about Kahr's.
    JW

Administrator
    Your pinky does dangle... but the weight of the steel frame makes it very easy to shoot. If the short grip bothers you, you can always go with larger versions. The P and K models are still very compact and concealable.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have a Kahr PM9 and a Walther PPS. The Kahr is smaller, and I really like it. The PPS is new and I really like it too. I have not shot it much but it has been flawless with what I have shot it.

The PPS is more accurate to me, probably because there is more of it.
    I would t want to give up either gun, and dont think you could go wrong with either one. If you want really small, go with the Kahr....although I just realized you werent asking about the PM9
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Have heard good things about both guns, though the PPS is new to the market so will likely have less choices in holsters and while support from the factory will be good it may or may not have as big a parts availability (meaning it could take more time to get a needed part) not to mention less aftermarket stuff

Some people will also feel that since the PPS is so new it hasn't "proven" itself as to long term durability.

Besides some of the others mentioned, the HK P7 PSP is single stack 9mm as is the Kel-Tec PF9 and there are a number of "staggered" mag 9mms that conceal quite easily as well, so you may want to consider not limiting yourself to single stack designs.

Dangling pinky finger

Quote Originally Posted by jwvert View Post
    How is the MK9 for controllability. It looks like a dangling pinky hold.
    The MK9 comes with two magazines, the flush fitting 6 rounder shown in my picture, and an extended 7 rounder that sticks out a bit, allowing a place to put your pinky finger. Of course the 7 rounder doesn't conceal quite as easily, and I think most people use it as their backup magazine, carrying it in their pocket or in a mag holder on the belt.

I haven't had any trouble shooting the MK9 with the short grip and dangling pinky. The pinky actually curls under the magazine and provides some stability and support to your grip. The MK9 is heavy (24 ounces) and shooting 9mm ammo is easy, with modest recoil. I have not noticed any reduced accuracy with the 6 round magazine compared to the 7 round.

I have a S&W 642 revolver with boot grips (also dangling pinky) and it recoils more than the Kahr MK9 because of light weight (16 ounces) and is harder to control.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

everyone always forgets about the p9's less expensive but just as good brother the cw9. i have one and love it and it will save you a few bucks!

The Kel-Tec PF9 is about the same size as the Walther PPS, though a tad less than 0.5" longer. Six oz lighter than the PPS, compact, thin. Small enough for pocket carry, if that's your thing. Though, if going IWB/OWB with a single-stack 9mm, I'd seriously consider the PPS, too.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have both the P9 and MK9, Pogo2 is right on. I find the P9 just a bit snappy with any +p rounds due to the light weight but the grip is outstanding and mine has been perfect from round 1. I recommend the night sites and black tungsten coated slide which makes is the most expensive. I wanted something even smaller in the grip for even better concealment and chose the MK9. I believe the PM9 would be even snappier than the P9 and I don't think I would have done too well on followup shots.

Also, I think the PM9 is just a bit big for true pocket carry so, I chose the MK9 for belt carry where weight DOES help w/recoil. I can shoot my MK9 as comfortably as my P9 and perhaps a bit more so. My MK9 is every bit as accurate as my P9. I would like checkering on the front strap of the MK9 for looks and a better grip but it's not essential. Both my kahrs have run perfect with any ammo from day one.

Now the PF9 is a lot cheaper and although I don't own one, I do own a keltec P3AT and I'm confident when I say that the trigger is totally different between any Kahr and a Keltec. My MK9 has a very very smooth light pull in DAO and is one of the best triggers of any gun I've ever owned. Keltec triggers are plastic, have a LONG travel, heavier pull, etc. They're just not very refined but are ok, and only OK for a safe DAO.

Now, if I had to have one ultimate concealed carry 9mm for belt carry, I do believe I'd get the Springfield EMP. I haven't shot one but the size is somewhat comparable to the Kahr P9 and the single action trigger will be great. Reports indicate outstanding accuracy and you can be carrying a total of 10 rounds, vs 8 in the P9 or 7 in the MK9 or PM9. Bad part of the EMP is that the mag extends quite a bit past the grip and you can't buy a flush fitting mag. If you could it would reduce your total load to 9 but I belive it would conceal a bit better. The other bad with the EMP is the cost. They're running between $1000 and $1200.

I'm tempted to take this years bonus, get the EMP, break it in, then ship it to Sprinfield to get checkering, remove the ambi safety for a single tactical and refinish. Then I think you'd have about the perfect conceal carry 9. I believe someone will come out with a flush mag eventually and if not, I saw a good post in another forum from a guy who made his own and posted the instructions. He did a good job.

Beyond these I'm not too familar with any single stack 9's.

Final note, I've looked at Kahr's CW versions and after having owned the regular P9 version, I wouldn't be happy with it. The barrel is different so accuracy might be a hair different. The slide doesn't look as good, couldn't say about the trigger. etc. If you have the money I'd get the regular version.

God Bless
    Gideon

I recently decided to get a single stack 9mm for concealed carry. I had narrowed it down to the Kahr P9 and the Springfield EMP. I was actually planing on purchasing both and then selling off whichever one I liked the least. I purchased the P9 a few weeks ago and I am getting quite attached to it. It fits my hand perfectly. Recoil is not bad at all. I can shoot it very fast and stay on target. The trigger is unlike any other striker fired pistol I have handled. It feels like a really nice revolver trigger. I like it better than the Glock trigger for sure. But it is not as nice as a SA 1911 style trigger. My P9 has functioned flawlessly through 200 rounds so far. I am really losing the desire to buy an EMP now as I think the P9 may be the closest thing to my ideal concealed carry gun on the market. The EMP is nice, but I don't think I want to deal with a manual safety on a carry gun.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by palmgopher View Post
    everyone always forgets about the p9's less expensive but just as good brother the cw9. i have one and love it and it will save you a few bucks!
    Its less expensive for a reason. Its still a decent carry gun, but I want all the quality Kahr has built their reputation on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsored Links