What do you love about the 1911???

This is a discussion on What do you love about the 1911??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A) Carry mode concern--always seems to raise questions. Who cares if someone doesn't like my condition 1 carry because the big bad gun scares them... ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you love about the 1911???

JD
    Administrator
    A) Carry mode concern--always seems to raise questions.
    Who cares if someone doesn't like my condition 1 carry because the big bad gun scares them...

B) No 2nd strike capability.
    Why waste the time striking a bad round? the clearance drill for a dud is the same no matter what gun you have, the 2nd strike might do it, but it might not.

C) Low ammo capacity
    When it comes to the ammo issue, lets look at several other guns that get left out of this issue.

The Sig 220: 8 Rounds of .45
    The HK 45C: 8 Rounds of .45
    The S&W 908: 8 Rounds of 9mm
    The Glock 36: 6 Rounds of .45
    The Sig 239: 8 Rounds of 9mm / 7 rounds of .40

I find it utterly amazing that capacity only becomes an issue with the 1911.

D) Heavy gun to CCW.
    Doesn't bother me one bit, as Bud stated, there's LW alloy models, but I like heavy. I don't like poly guns, they just feel like toys to me. I like the feel of an all steel or steel over alloy gun, and I'll pick one any day of the week over polymer. Unless I develop some physical issue to where I can't shoot or carry the heavier gun, I plan on sticking with a metal on metal gun.

So help educate me, outside of probably the most accurate handgun out there, what is it that gives the 1911 a cult like following???

I'm shaped like a box on legs, anything double stack tends to stick out too much. The capacity thing bothered me at first, so I went with a doube stack Para, the added bulk wasn't worth it. So I went to single stacks.

When I was picking my first gun I was lucky, I took my dad's G22, Colt LW Commander, and a couple of Smith Autos. I shot the LW Commander best, but didn't like the LW part of the equation.

I found the Glocks trigger to be "spongy" and didn't find the grip overly comfortable, I shot well with it, but when I wrapped my hand around the 1911, it was like shaking hands with my brother, even my double stack Paras felt better in the hand.

I've tried Glocks, Sigs, Beretta's, double stack Paras, XD's, S&W autos, J-frame revolvers, K&L frame revolvers, and the single stack 1911 is just what does it for me.

It points well, has the best trigger IMHO available, I can shape the grip to fit my hand, if I don't like something I can change it easily.

The 1911 and it's mags carry nice and flat, the weight doesn't bother me as long as I have a good belt and holster.

2. Remove Ads

Guns are like children...sedom does one see the faults in your own.
    I like my Kimber...if 7+1 isn't enough (not counting extra mags)...I'm probably in for another set of problems anyway.
    Very easy to conceal, very comfortable actually.
    My Ultra is about the same size as my Glock-36. My Pro is a little larger, but still very easy to conceal.
    It's MORE accurate than I am...
    Most importantly, it works for me...and I trust it with my life!

Stay armed...know your weapon...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It looks cool..... and I trust my life to my Commander.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

JMB was a ergonomic genius before that word was invented. The natural pointablity (is that even a word) is unlike any other pistol for me. No matter what 1911 I pickup. If I close my eyes and point the gun, 99.98% of the time it's right on target, sights aligned.
    The hammer back "evil" look is something I actually like. I can tell in an instant if the pistol is ready to run or not. Other peoples problem with it is just that...their problem.
    9 rounds of 230 grain jacket hollow point HSTs should be more than enough for a civilian. If not...then there's the other 2 mags I carry and the cell phone to call in air strikes :-)
    I honestly think if a LEO sees a person carrying a 1911 in a nice holster, he HAS to look at them more as a armed professional rather than a potential thug to be taken care of.
    Carry what YOU are comfortable with
    Practice with what you carry
    Practice the WAY you carry. Don't change to a different form of carry for range time.
    You will drop back to training when the zombies attack.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member
    I was gonna say EVERYTHING but then I thought I'd just wait for Lima to post and +1 her!

+1 Lima!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have a lot less experience than most here as I've only been shooting centerfire semi-autos for around 3 years (single action revolvers for 40 years). I've owned a XD, M&P and own two Springfield 1911s. I've shot Glocks, CZs and a Browning. I like the grip on the 1911s and the M&P but I can shoot much faster and more accurately with the 1911.

On the 1911, I like the way the grip fits my hand, the trigger is outstanding, I like having a grip and regular safety, it's flat, I like the "mechanics" and it's "history".

As far as round capacity, one of the best shooters in our steel plate club shoots a 7 shot, .357 Smith revolver. We have another member who has a Ruger semi with high capacity mags. The Ruger guy puts a lot of rounds down range but the revolver gal always beats him (and me but for once when I won the shoot.) In fact, she and her husband are the regular winners at our shoots along with an older gentleman who shoots a Glock. I guess it always boils down to "shoot what you shoot best". For me, the 1911 is the one I shoot best with.

Cloudpeak

The 1911 "carries small" due to it being flat and weight is not an issue with a good belt and holster rig. If you truley understand the 1911 then carry mode is a none issue. The thing i can tell you is that my ability to get first shot hits is in large part due to the excellent trigger (wich there is no equall in all of handguning) and the way the grip fits my hand. Eight rounds of .45 is plenty. Long live the 1911!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    By the looks from a lot of the post on this forum, many of you own 1911's, and deploy them for your everyday carry needs. From reading the post, I get the impression that many think the 1911 is the "top dog" of guns.

When I examine the 1911, I see the following--

C) Low ammo capacity.

D) Heavy gun to CCW.

So help educate me, outside of probably the most accurate handgun out there, what is it that gives the 1911 a cult like following???

Z
    A) Many people, including myself find a 1911 very comfortable to carry due to its thinness. My G17 and 19 "feel" blocker and are thicker through the slide area.

B) Not really an issue. Many popular and reliable guns have no second strike capability. Glocks, XDs, etc...

C) That can be fixed. I have a high capacity 1911 that is no thicker through the grips than a single stack 1911 with standard wood grips. Holds 13+1 rounds.

D) Not always a heavy gun. The pistol I mentioned in "C" is a Kimber with a polymer lower. Fully loaded, the lighter lower is offset by the weight of almost twice the rounds of a standard steel 4" single stack 1911.

As for the plusses. For many, the grip shape/angle is ideal and there's NO beating that sweet single action trigger. Plus, the 1911 deploys that big ol' .45 round that so many swear by.

Love the trigger and the flat profile easy to carry....just perfect! oh yeah and +1 to Lima always love hearing what she has to say
    NRA Life Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry stainless .45
    HK45C .45

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    The 1911 is the only *non-pocket* handgun that I can reach the magazine release with my right thumb. When I get mine, I figure I'll continue to drop the mag with my left hand, but it's nice to know that I can drop it with one hand.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I carry the 1911 because it is the one that I like the most.

The way it slips into my hand and positions itself neatly makes it the one that I will go to when needed.

Don't get me wrong, I also like my Taurus .40, and I feel just as comfortable with that as I do with my 1911.

I don't get bothered by the weight. Sure there are some days that I can't wait to get home to take it off, but when I am out and about with the wife and kids, the extra weight is almost comforting, a constant reminder of what is where.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

No doubt, a 1911 shooter is always a 1911 shooter. How many times do you hear about a 1911 fan going to Glocks? I train shooters, and I hear the opposite quite regularly!

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post

When I examine the 1911, I see the following--

Strikes me as odd. People have no issues over a DA revolver with no safety and chamber loaded nor a Glock or Kahr with no manual safety and chamber loaded but add a grip and thumb safety to a gun and they get squeemish. Proper education is the cure.

Ya know, I don't get it with this "new" second strike capability garbage. If the round doesn't go off I don't want to try again I want it out the the freakin chamber so I can fire the next one.

C) Low ammo capacity.
    So carry back up mags and practice reloading. Revolver guys have no qualms about 5 or 6 rds in their gun but a 7+1 to 9+1 1911 is a bad thing?

D) Heavy gun to CCW.
    Carry a commander. Carry an OACP. Carry an aluminum framed 1911. There are options. My 4" aluminum 1911 weighs as much as my light by standards 28oz Glock 30.

what is it that gives the 1911 a cult like following???
    The trigger. It has the shortest reset of any defensive handgun and the sweetest, smoothest, most consistent trigger of them all. The grip angle is the most natural grip for a human. The engineering is a work of art. Every pistol since the 1911 tries to be a 1911 but none will ever be as good. Just the simple truth.
    Last edited by JD; January 7th, 2008 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

i guess i have the same answer as every else.
    a. i dont find it unsafe to carry cocked and locked. there are 3 actions that must happen to make my gun fire. there are only 1 on most popular carry guns.
    b. if i am using my gun in self defense and i pull the trigger and it doesnt go bang, i am getting that round out of there! not wasting time to pull the trigger again.
    c. its single stack. thats the way it goes, if you want to carry a thicker gun for a few more rounds, fine. but i think that 9 rounds of 9mm in my subcompact little 1911 is plenty if you put them in the right place. really worried? carry an extra mag (those are thin too!)
    d. get an aluminum framed one. my gun is very very light.

i love the 1911 for MANY reasons. but if i had to choose one, like most people, i would say the trigger. i cant say my gun is THAT accurate, because its a 3" barrel. for a 3" barrel it is accurate though. but who am i kidding. my gun is more accurate than i am. i can shoot my 1911 and conceal it GREAT (which says a lot for a skinny girl who hasnt been shooting guns THAT long)
    and thats what matters. if you can shoot your large polymer framed DA gun and conceal it too, good for you. but i need a small single stack gun. and this one is for me.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Its like a harley , if you want your rice rocket go get it , for myself and my training there is no better pistol to have in a gunfight . With that being said i unabashedly carry kahr tupperware for every day . Its not the tool , It is the man that wins the fight .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links