What do you love about the 1911???

This is a discussion on What do you love about the 1911??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bud White Cant help ya with carry mode concern as it never bother me no more than carry a glock with no ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you love about the 1911???

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Cant help ya with carry mode concern as it never bother me no more than carry a glock with no real safety..

no second strike? Big deal glock dont nor does springfield XD which seem to be the uber popular guns now ..

low ammo well its a personal preference but something that starts at almost 1/2 round and isnt going mach 3 is going to work just fine it did for our country for almost 75 years

Heavy gun again personal preference but i want to see you pistol whip someone with a empty tupperware gun .. Heavy guns are also more accurate under Adrenalin Dump more weight to baffle your erratic movements.. Also dont forget they make lightweight ones

And the main reason i carry one again personal preference ..

Nothing shoots as well in my hands..

I have had the glocks xd's HK Smith rugers etc etc.. bit this is the only style of gun besides a wheel gun i can pick up and bet almost dead on with out of the box Might be tad high or low depending on sights .. points the best for me and fits my hands the best.
    Ditto.

To those that understand, no explanation is necessary, to those that don't, no explanation will suffice.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    No doubt, a 1911 shooter is always a 1911 shooter. How many times do you hear about a 1911 fan going to Glocks? I train shooters, and I hear the opposite quite regularly!
    Actually, it happens quite a bit. I know lots of guys that transitioned to Glocks for IDPA shooting because they were tired of always troubleshooting and fussing with their 1911. A day of clearing jams is no fun... I even heard the old saying at a very prominent 1911 style training school of "Classy 1911s are what you show your friends. Glocks are what you show your enemies." Case in point being that, no matter what anyone says, Glocks are generally more durable and more reliable than the 1911 design.

+1 Tubby, but I will add that its heavy - so good for pistol whipping.

Austin

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberbp22 View Post
    I even heard the old saying at a very prominent 1911 style training school of "Classy 1911s are what you show your friends. Glocks are what you show your enemies."
    What school were you at when you heard this?

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    What school were you at when you heard this?
    None other than Gunsite in Paulden, Arizona. That school is heavily slanted toward the 1911, because of Jeff Cooper, and many of the instructors carried them, but not all. There was a healthy representative of "plastic" pistols, mainly Glocks and XDs amongst the instructors. The students, even more so...

I heard this quote from another student who had attended several Gunsite courses and was there for a CCW renewal. Two Glock carrying instructors that overheard agreed and joined our discussion. Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911s, but I feel in a really bad situation, I'd prefer a high cap, durable, reliable and plenty accurate double stack Glock over any single stack 1911. And, yes, I know the 1911 has been in every war this century so please save the time and don't go there. Not that it's hard with the 1911, but the Glock design does field and detail strip much easier and spare parts are pretty cheap.

That being said, both are good designs and I carry either for regular daily CCW. It's nice to have choices and they are different platforms that achieve the same purpose. Some prefer trucks and some prefer sedans...they'll all get you from point A to point B.

OD*
    Interesting, thanks.

It must have been long after Col. Cooper was gone.

I didn't read all the posts but just two items to add which may have already been addressed.

Toward the capacity issue a 1911 chambered in 9MM will support 9 rounds +1 from a standard/GI length mag. A 1911 chambered in .45 ACP can be had in round counts from 8 (normal is 7) up to 10 rds. +1. The magazine length is extended of course but not so badly that concealment and carry is not possible.
    I carry and conceal 8 and 10 rd. magazines in my 1911s. The last week I've been carrying everywhere IWB a full size 1911 with a _ten round_ magazine and have had no problems at all. I even hugged my wife, who is anti, and she did not hit or tap anything which is one of my own concealed carry test methods.
    Further one can carry a standard mag in the gun and then bring a ten rounder as a backup. Yesterday carrying a double mag holder I had on my person all day a full size 1911 (Sig GSR w/rail), a 10 rd mag +1 in it, and two backup mags of 10 rds. each. A total of 31 rounds of .45 ACP all worn under a light material pullover V type neck sweater.
    With a tight to the body fitting mag holder(s) and a good IWB holster the 1911, atleast in my own case, can be just as if not nearly as capable in total round count as any other. I do not see round count capability as a point of issue in a functional way.

The other item being weight, many modern 1911s are made of lightweight materials including aluminum alloys and S&W has their 1911SC/PD made of light and very strong & durable Scandium metal matrix. So light that even as loaded it's possible and even easy to forget it's there for medium to even long multi hour durations.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I see no reason to compromise because I want something lighter, carries more than eight rounds or because I am too lazy to do routine cleaning.

Heavy - Not when it is protecting my life.

Capacity - If eight rounds of well-placed .45 doesn't do the trick, my problems are a lot bigger than 15 rounds would solve.

Reliability - With routine cleaning, my 1911 is as reliable as any mechanical device can be. Without routine cleaning, my 1911 is as reliable as any mechanical device can be.

Condition One - I have NEVER heard of a 1911 firing without any outside influence while cocked and locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I didn't read all the posts but just two items to add which may have already been addressed.

Toward the capacity issue a 1911 chambered in 9MM will support 9 rounds +1 from a standard/GI length mag. A 1911 chambered in .45 ACP can be had in round counts from 8 (normal is 7) up to 10 rds. +1. The magazine length is extended of course but not so badly that concealment and carry is not possible.

- Janq
    Even more than 10+1. I have a wonderful Kimber (poly lower, all steel 1911 upper) that has a 13+1 capacity in .45 ACP, which almost doubles a standard single stack 1911's capacity and weighs no more than a steel 1911 when fully loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Interesting, thanks.

It must have been long after Col. Cooper was gone.
    Yeah, the course I took was in 2004. For the life of me, I can't find it on Google but I know I read somewhere that Jeff Cooper himself admitted that the Glock was the best "straight outta da box stock" combat pistol in existence...might have been when I was at Gunsite.

Cooper also used to completely rebuild his 1911s after 2500 rounds and no longer carried them once they hit 5000 rounds. That, I know and do remember from attending the Gunsite course and reading some of their history.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Learned on the GI issue 1911 back in 78 when I entered the US Coast Guard and carried it till our transition to the M9 in 1989. Actually scored better with the M9 over the 1911 even with the larger grip.
    Bought my first SA in 1990 with the better sights, made a few mods and shot the same course for qualification. Scored better with the SA. Gun just fits my hand better and lines up right every time. Might be a little slower on my times with good ammo but first shot goes where it should if I do my part every time.
    Gun is super easy to conceal with right holster and not the least bit worried over carrying cocked and locked as I have complete trust in it. As I stated before on this forum if by my negligence it is taken away from me, most of the punks on the street these days are going to squeeze the trigger for a long time with no BANG, thus giving me a chance of retrieving my weapon.
    As far as ammo goes carry Wilson 8 rd. mags with a spare so don't think I'm short on firepower. JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Well the question was ; What do you love about the 1911? My first love was its looks, it was a 'real' gun. It caries well and is balanced just right (5 inch). Very easy to carry concealed. It was tested well in 3 wars before I got mine. That last thing I love about the 1911 is it is an old friend and is always true.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Lima's post +1

You gotta get on these threads fast if you want to make good points before Lima does!

How it fits my hand.
    Keep your powder dry

It just feels so awesome in your hand... Here's mine.. It's vintage 1918 army, but was refurbished by the Colt factory by my father in law when he owned it in the 80's.. Hense the the non standard finish and grips..

Here's a pic I took for size comparison with my Beretta 418... Nothing says "bang" like a 45... But they do have their drawbacks..

Last edited by Angus; January 8th, 2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Removed language work around. Also corrected photo link
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links