What do you love about the 1911???

This is a discussion on What do you love about the 1911??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; By the looks from a lot of the post on this forum, many of you own 1911's, and deploy them for your everyday carry needs. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you love about the 1911???

Distinguished Member

What do you love about the 1911???

By the looks from a lot of the post on this forum, many of you own 1911's, and deploy them for your everyday carry needs. From reading the post, I get the impression that many think the 1911 is the "top dog" of guns.

When I examine the 1911, I see the following--

A) Carry mode concern--always seems to raise questions.

B) No 2nd strike capability.

C) Low ammo capacity.

D) Heavy gun to CCW.

So help educate me, outside of probably the most accurate handgun out there, what is it that gives the 1911 a cult like following???

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

2. Remove Ads

Cant help ya with carry mode concern as it never bother me no more than carry a glock with no real safety..

no second strike? Big deal glock dont nor does springfield XD which seem to be the uber popular guns now ..

low ammo well its a personal preference but something that starts at almost 1/2 round and isnt going mach 3 is going to work just fine it did for our country for almost 75 years

Heavy gun again personal preference but i want to see you pistol whip someone with a empty tupperware gun .. Heavy guns are also more accurate under Adrenalin Dump more weight to baffle your erratic movements.. Also dont forget they make lightweight ones

And the main reason i carry one again personal preference ..

Nothing shoots as well in my hands..

I have had the glocks xd's HK Smith rugers etc etc.. bit this is the only style of gun besides a wheel gun i can pick up and bet almost dead on with out of the box Might be tad high or low depending on sights .. points the best for me and fits my hands the best.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    I like them because they look really good when I'm carrying on days I'm wearing a suit. When I'm is street clothes I'll carry one of my polymer frame pistols.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

I would venture it's a lot like the Gold Wing/ElectriGlide debate. On paper, the Wings and plastic pistols probably make more sense but.....try to convince someone on the "primitive" side of the fence. Bet you there are a lot of Glide/Wing riders on this board, curious how the pistols match up with the bikes? I'll confess to a RoadKing, an Officer's ACP, a Commander, and a S&W 640 snub.

Looks good
    Flat, easy to conceal
    Consistent trigger
    Excellent grip angle and size
    Weighs less with alloy frame
    Accurate
    .45 ACP fabled "manstopper"

Its military history has helped it a lot. Another thing that helped its status was before all the R&D into semiauto tech came along and before Smith became heavily involved in the semi market it was a revolver world for LEO. Pretty much, if a LEO wanted a semi, it was the 1911 which stood with the proven track record and was chosen for carry. For the longest time the 1911 was THE semiauto. It became the gun everyone wanted to compete with in matches because of it's accuracy and flexibility with various loads.

Those facts help propel the 1911 into cult status. The largest impact though has been the simple fact that the 1911 is simply put, a fantastic handgun. Accurate, consistent trigger, customizable and available in most any flavor imaginable.

(A) Doesn't raise questions if you understand the system.
    (B) See Bud White's post.
    (C) Revolvers carry even fewer rounds but seem to work fine in the capacity department.
    (D) A good belt and holster helps a lot. An aluminum frame/bobtail/shorter slide helps. Just putting up with the weight because I like the gun is the best helps.
    Opinion alert: I'm a 1911 student/user, not an expert, so the answer to your last question is why I got into the cult: Easy to shoot well, flat to carry, customize it to fit my needs/wants, easy to maintain. Yes, there are some guns that get picky and balky, I've had one or two, but that is a subject for another thread.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    I like them because they look really good when I'm carrying on days I'm wearing a suit. When I'm is street clothes I'll carry one of my polymer frame pistols.
    They do make a great "BBQ" gun.

One word:
    Simplicity. Although my version (SW1911) has an external extractor requiring an extra tool for detail strip, a 1911A1 can be detail stripped with nothing other than a spent case. There are very few moving parts and even "rattlers" can be accurate. People like a big round, and .45 is considered the "flying ashtray". The 1911 is the quintessential American pistol.

I don't ride cruisers, only a weedwhacker, so I have no idea what ICT is talking about with Goldwing vs. Electraglide, but there's room in my safe for the tactical tupperware and good ole wood-n-steel, both in .45 ACP.

Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I love 1911s and Hi-powers for shooting but for CCW, I leand towards the more simple operation of a double action revolver or modern auto without safeties like the HK P2000...the heavier but consistent trigger pull is also safer for the average (note: average) shooter, especially under stress...JM 2 cents.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    So help educate me, outside of probably the most accurate handgun out there, what is it that gives the 1911 a cult like following???
    The answer's in the question!

I was reading an accuracy test of the some of the most popular carry handguns in existence today. Is it any surprise that a 1911 beat the competition?

The last class I was in, the top four shooters in the class were all shooting 1911s. I'm not saying it was the 1911s that made the shooters, because there was one guy shooting a 1911 that probably came in about 8th where accuracy was concerned, but there was something to be said about those fabulous tight groups and the fact that the 4 tightest were all made by 1911s and their shooters. Do you think that MAYBE there's something to that?

When I worked range duty at my last job and some yahoo would start throwing lead down range, not hitting a darned thing, I'd go in and say, "Rapid fire is only as good as your hits."

Conversely, ANY shooting is only as good as your hits and if I can hit better with my 1911 why wouldn't I love it?

Everything bud said is true.

a) I don't see how the carry mode is in question because it's one of the safest pistols out there. Carry mode only comes into question for people who have a mental hangup about seeing the hammer cocked. If you don't have a problem with that, I guess it doesn't matter.

b) I wouldn't want to waste time double-striking a cartridge that already didn't fire. I'd be tapping, racking and banging that thing right into the next round anyway even if it DID have double-striking capacity.

c) Again, if your hitting your mark every time, low capacity isn't that big of an issue. Also, there are higher capacity 1911s out there. I know they aren't "TRUE" 1911s by the purist standards, but if that's the only thing that's standing between you and a 1911 then go get a double-stack Para. I don't have a problem with it.

d) My Kimber CDP is so light I can barely feel it when I have it on. Even my all steel Wilson isn't such a burden when I have the right holster and belt on. I find all my 1911s to be extremely comfortable to carry. I especially appreciate the thin profile because it makes them that much easier to conceal as well.

And in addition, the gun fits my hand the best, is comfortable to shoot, blows my other guns out of the water when it comes to accuracy, and is quick and easy to deploy.

And on top of all that it's PRETTY!

If I'm going to make a gun my constant companion all day every day it might as well be something nice to look at too.

The "to 1911 or not to 1911" question has been raging for years. The question keeps coming and I keep wondering why it is bothering so many non-1911 carriers. They keep wanting to know why we (the 1911 carriers) like our 1911s and not their XYZ brand.

Do we REALLY need to keep explaining ourselves? I don't think I've ever seen a post saying, "Why do you REALLY like your Glock?" or HK or Sig or any other handgun manufacturer out there that has proved itself.

Guns are personal decisions. I understand that there are those out there who want the higher capacity of some other manufacturers. I understand that some don't like manual safeties that need disengaging. I understand that some want high-cap, light guns that are hammerless. I have NO problem with that. In fact, I sell more Glocks, M&Ps, Sigs, Tauruses and even revolvers than I do 1911s and it doesn't break my heart one bit. It makes me happy that people are even taking the time to defend themselves and I don't give a crap whether it's with a 1911 or any other gun out there.

Because it fits my hand well and consequently I shoot it very well.

Also conceals very easily in the sub-5" models.

Aside from all the reasons stated above.... The trigger! Oooooooo the trigger! If you don't instantly know what I'm talking about, you MUST try one! Nothing IMO compares.

Rebuttal

C) Low ammo capacity.
    D) Heavy gun to CCW.
    A) Cocked and locked is not a concern to those who trust it through experience and logic - and the gun is concealed so nobody else sees it.
    B) Second strike capability is a million to one need - I've had maybe 2 bad primers in 40 years of shooting.
    C) My Kimber Pro holds 9 rounds of .45, which is adequate for 99% of the situations I might encounter. If capacity beyond this were a concern, I'd carry my USP 45 with 13 rounds, but it's a much bigger gun.
    D) My Kimber Pro weighs 28 ounces empty (aluminum frame), which seems just right for both carry comfort and recoil absorption.

Besides, it feels good in my hand and also looks good:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member
    Lima--thanks for your post. "Do we REALLY need to keep explaining ourselves" I was not questioning what you carry, everyone SHOULD carry what they are proficient with. I am trying to look into your thought process of carrying a 1911. Someone pointed out the ability to "pistol whip" a BG, had not thought about that.

When I thread, I am trying to learn something, not tell someone what they are doing wrong. I look to you folks that have been CCW a lot longer than I, and try to learn from your experience.

The 4 items I questioned were from reading other posts here, and were negative about the 1911, so tell me the positives of them. Who knows, with my bad habit of buying guns, someday I could see one of those in my collection.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member

C) Low ammo capacity.

D) Heavy gun to CCW.

Z

Very good question. Let me say first that 1911's are my favorite pistol. I've always liked them since a kid, even in the 70's when revolvers were the "norm"; at that time, on leo duty I was the only guy carrying a 1911. Admittedly looks plays a part in my decision along with reputation and function.....the 1911 covers a lot of those bases. Actually looks, reputation and function fits so many of my other non-gun purchases too. Back in the 70's it was tough to find something other than a 1911 chambered for .45's and that's the caliber I wanted.

A. You are right, the carry mode tends to be an issue. My Rem 1100 shotgun is basically cocked and locked when I hunt with it. IMO it's just seeing the cocked hammer that causes the issue. It is a safe gun.
    B. True, and this is a matter for proper training by the user to clear a misfire or jam....... a potential hazard in any gun.
    C. Back when revolvers were so popular, my 1911 actually had the advantage on ammo capacity. In todays choices it is a little low, once again training/shooting skills are important. I think that SA makes some models (wide body) that are double-stack, though they may have a questionable reputation?
    D. I don't mind the weight, I have steel and aluminum 1911's and happy to carry either. No doubt that thin & light is good for CCW.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links