What reliable -compact semi-auto 45 caliber pistol should I buy for home defense?

This is a discussion on What reliable -compact semi-auto 45 caliber pistol should I buy for home defense? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a 45 caliber handgun with a barrel lenght that is no longer than 4 inches! I prefer a compact 45 semi-auto ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What reliable -compact semi-auto 45 caliber pistol should I buy for home defense?

What reliable -compact semi-auto 45 caliber pistol should I buy for home defense?

I am looking for a 45 caliber handgun with a barrel lenght that is no longer than 4 inches! I prefer a compact 45 semi-auto pistol! My number one ingredent is reliability! I am open to all opinions! 7 rounds plus 1 in the chamber should be enough for most situations but more rounds wouldn't hurt ya!

Thank-You all for your thoughts!

2. Remove Ads

I thought Marines only shoot hi capacity 1911's.

compact .45 acp

Look around for a S&W model CS 45 DAO. They are scarce but can be found.
    They are bobbed hammer, double action only, no decocking or safetylevers, can
    be refired multiple times if primer fails. Very reliable, very safe to carry. Also the
    current CS 45s are the same but have the decocking lever. All are bobbed hammer and are very small. I carried mine in my jeans pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    I thought Marines only shoot hi capacity 1911's.
    I don't call 7 rounds hi-capacity!

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Why does it have to be compact if it's for home defense? My personal opinion is to use bigger guns for HD. No offense, I'm just asking.

JD
    Administrator
    How a about the Sig 220 Carry?

That gives you a 3.9" bbl, has a rail, and still maintains 8 round capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Why does it have to be compact if it's for home defense? My personal opinion is to use bigger guns for HD. No offense, I'm just asking.

I know lots of shooters prefer larger pistols for home defense (over 4 inches in barrel lenght) and there's nothing wrong with that-if that's what you are most comfortable shooting! Speaking for myself -I shoot 3 1/2 - 4 inch barrel pistols very well and I like the way this size gun fits my shooting hand! I can handle very well the recoil in a 4 inch barrel gun!

By the way when I was 13 years old my family lived in Randolph, Vermont--beauiful State to live in!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    How a about the Sig 220 Carry?

That gives you a 3.9" bbl, has a rail, and still maintains 8 round capacity.
    And 10-rd SIG mags are available, too...

My EDC is a Kimber Ultra CDP II, but the nightstand holds the Kimber Pro CDP II...I believe the Pro would fill your qual's...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The upcoming Glock 30SF would be a great home defense/CCW gun, that holds 10+1 rounds of .45ACP. The big plus would be that the Glock 30's have been one of the most reliable and accurate sub 4" .45ACP's currently on the market. Down side is they are a little bulky, but the new "SF" should help considerably.

Otherwise a 1911 variant should work, but you will really need to make sure that it is 100% reliable with you self defense round.

Just curious, why sub-4" barrel for a home defense gun? Would you not be better served with a full-size service type weapon for HD?
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

Quote Originally Posted by stmcelroy View Post
    The upcoming Glock 30SF would be a great home defense/CCW gun, that holds 10+1 rounds of .45ACP. The big plus would be that the Glock 30's have been one of the most reliable and accurate sub 4" .45ACP's currently on the market. Down side is they are a little bulky, but the new "SF" should help considerably.

Otherwise a 1911 variant should work, but you will really need to make sure that it is 100% reliable with you self defense round.

Just curious, why sub-4" barrel for a home defense gun? Would you not be better served with a full-size service type weapon for HD?

I know lots of shooters prefer larger pistols for home defense (over 4 inches in barrel lenght) and there's nothing wrong with that-if that's what you are most comfortable shooting! Speaking for myself -I shoot 3 1/2 - 4 inch barrel pistols very well and I like the way this size gun fits my shooting hand! I can handle very well the recoil in a 4 inch barrel gun!

My Motto: Take That Full Pot of Coffee & Leave No Coffee Behind!

I have a G36 for carry and have shot the G30 and agree the G30 would be my home defense gun.It is just a little harder to conceal for me than the G36.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    I am looking for a 45 caliber handgun with a barrel lenght that is no longer than 4 inches! I prefer a compact 45 semi-auto pistol! My number one ingredent is reliability! I am open to all opinions! 7 rounds plus 1 in the chamber should be enough for most situations but more rounds wouldn't hurt ya!

Thank-You all for your thoughts!

You could go with the Glock 39 or the 30.

Para Ord makes a number of short barrel .45's including high cap versions,
    check out their products Here

I have a single stack CCO (3.5" barrel) that has been reliable, only problem it ever had was ammo related, it doesn't like Remington UMC green box.

As for reliability, you need to test the individual sample and not base it on what someone else tells you, you can read about problems with every gun ever made, and remember no mechanical device is 100% reliable 100% of the time.

I think the G30 with a tactical light is a great home protection weapon. That is exactly what I keep for home defense.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links