What to fire in the Judge?????

This is a discussion on What to fire in the Judge????? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up one of these just to fill the unique gap in my collection. It is basicly designed as an anti car jackin weapon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just picked up one of these just to fill the unique gap in my collection. It is basicly designed as an anti car jackin weapon to give a car jacker a face full of slag from a .410. My question is what shot would be best? I have shot it with #6 and have 000 buck(three pellets). Would #4s be best at close range to spread a broader pattern? What do you think?
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Senior Moderator
    I would go with 4# for the increased penetration. At the range you'l lbe using it, a few more smallers holes shouldnt matter.

You'd do best to check it though. It may pattern more consistent with 6's than 4's. If its pretty obvious, I'd go with whatever patterns the best.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'd do some testing. Out of that very short barrel I don't think you're gonna get much spread from a .410. I've heard of guys loading theirs with a .410 slug. Why not stick with the hard-punching .45 Colt? If you're far enough away for a birdshot load to spread to pattern, there isn't enough penetration to matter. It'll hurt like hell, but isn't deadly. Same with the .410 three-pellet buckshot. Better than birdshot, but if you're close enough to do a direct hit to the vitals, I'd still rather have the old .45 LC! I think it's a marketing gimmick.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've got one. The first two chambers are loaded with No. 4's, the last three with 000 buck.

Get out and have some fun with it...pattern it...it's a hoot to shoot, and you'll learn what works best.

I'm going to use it for rabbit hunting loaded with No. 4's here as soon as I can get out....
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Senior Moderator
    Actually, looking at some of the videos on it, it does a pretty fair job of opening up nice and quick like.

Im with you on the .45 LC though. That would be hard to beat.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

My friend has one, he has it loaded so that the first round is #4 (?) shot and then 4 rounds of .45 LC. Give the badguy a face full of shot and then follow up with four shots of .45 LC.

I've seen these and really like the concept as a car defense gun. If I saw one at a nice price I'd pick it up (going for a compact 1911 first though).

If I had one, personally, the first two would be #4 and the rest would be hot .45 LC loads (keep the hammer down on the "last" 45 LC load so the first one fired is a shotshell).

I'd hate to carjack you

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I would stagger maybe three shots of .410 and 2 of .45 LC
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Moderator
    .45 LC in all chambers.

Have a peek at some penetration testing with the Judge:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

not sure about shot#,just like to comment on a nice looking(stay outta
    my car)weapon.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

personally

I'd rather punch a hole in a BG and hope that he takes his last breath. So use a 45 slug...OR take the risk of blinding him with birdshot and making payments to him for the rest of his life...Just my .02

I can see the penetration issues as well as a face full of birdshot...which is best? to each his own and I don't want to debate that with my particular reply but if you were to shoot that while sitting at an intersection (carjacking) I would be concerned/aware with, maybe, missing him and hitting someone waiting at a crosswalk or the like...with that heavy shot would be my choice....just throwing out an unmentioned concern/possibility. Either way you would not be 'jacked!
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I wouldn't think that that first shot or two of shot is going to be the end of the engagement. More to buy me time to get a proper shot. I thought about this gun for waking up-groggy with a bg in the house moments, not so much for carjacking. If I were going to load it completely with slugs, then I'd rather have something with greater capacity.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I'd do some testing. Out of that very short barrel I don't think you're gonna get much spread from a .410. I've heard of guys loading theirs with a .410 slug. Why not stick with the hard-punching .45 Colt? If you're far enough away for a birdshot load to spread to pattern, there isn't enough penetration to matter. It'll hurt like hell, but isn't deadly. Same with the .410 three-pellet buckshot. Better than birdshot, but if you're close enough to do a direct hit to the vitals, I'd still rather have the old .45 LC! I think it's a marketing gimmick.
    All of what you have said make sense. However, that scatter shot is hard on rattlesnakes, and you might want to consider the 410 for that purpose if no other (unless your intention is to practice precision shooting with the .45 colt).

Senior Moderator
    If the absolute worst has happened, and you are face to face with an armed felon while strapped to your car seat, would you want to:

1. Dust his face with shot, which might or might not blind him, but certainly won't penetrate the skull and disrupt the CNS, leaving him able to empty his weapon back at you, or
    2. Hit him with a round that can penetrate the skull and disrupt the CNS, thus preventing him from emptying his gun in your (fixed) general direction?

I'm gonna fall back on a well known mantra - "birdshot is for little birds, not for felons" - and pick #2.

YMMV.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links