Question for pocket snubby carriers

This is a discussion on Question for pocket snubby carriers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy everyone. I have a question for those of you that carry snub-nose revolvers in your pocket. Currently I carry a Keltec P3AT in my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for pocket snubby carriers

Question for pocket snubby carriers

Howdy everyone. I have a question for those of you that carry snub-nose revolvers in your pocket. Currently I carry a Keltec P3AT in my pocket. I love the concealability of this slimline pistol. However, I am having some big issues with the gun and it is going back to the factory. As everyone knows, revolvers are about as reliable as you can get. I am considering getting a Taurus or SW for pocket carry. The question I have is regarding the diameter of the cylinder and how much it bulges in your pocket, if it does.

Can someone shed some light on this for me? Thanks abunch.
    "A big mouth don't make a big man." - John Wayne The Cowboys

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    It does and will a little more than your KelTec... but thats where a good pocket holster comes in. As long as you dont wear you pants very tight, it wont be a problem at all.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have both and IMHO the SW snub 38s I have are considerably bulkier and heavier. This may or may not make much difference ... depending how loose your pants and your basic body shape.

I you do not have a waist etc.

Check it out in your nearest gun store.

Not much consulation I know but my P3 has gone over 900 rounds with only a fluff and buff and limited to 50 rounds before clean and lube. 0 glitches. Hope yours is fixed by KT .. they are nifty little inexpensive handguns.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

I carry a S/W 638 airweight in a Don Hume Pocket holster. Generally, it works very well. The only issue is the shape of the pocket. If the pocket is rounded in sort of a half moon shape, the gun comes out and the holster stays put. The holster hook catches on the pocket for a perfect draw. On the other hand, if the pocket is straight, there is a tendency for the holster and gun to come out together.

Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    Not much consulation I know but my P3 has gone over 900 rounds with only a fluff and buff and limited to 50 rounds before clean and lube. 0 glitches. Hope yours is fixed by KT .. they are nifty little inexpensive handguns.
    I wish mine had the reliability that your's has had. Over Christmas vacation, I put 50 rounds through it and had 8-10 jams. Two of them took about 5 minutes each to clear. Not too reliable for something I trust my life on. I hope KT gets it fixed.

My P3AT has died altogether and needs to be sent back to the factory. I normally now carry a S&W Airweight 38 sp +P in a size 3 Uncle Mikes Sidekick pocket holster. I am a small person 5'7" and weigh about 160 . I usually wear slacks and a shirt, so it is easier for me to pocket carry. I will carry the snub in my right front pocket with my cell phone in the same pocket, resting just below the trigger guard (I have a small cell phone and it breaks up any possible printing). You can tell I have something in my pocket but can't tell what it is. It is comfortable, easy to get to (except in a car with a seat belt on), and works in any pants I have. I don't expect to "quick draw" with it so I am very alert as to what is happening around me. If I am concerned about something, I will have the gun in my hand in my pocket ready to be pulled out if necessary. I have a PPK that I used to pocket carry, but it is substantially heavier than my snubby and less comfortable in my pocket. It is so easy to grab off my night stand and put in my pocket. If the snubby wasn't so easy, there would be many times I would not carry anything (not good).

Quote Originally Posted by longtalltechsan View Post
    I wish mine had the reliability that your's has had. Over Christmas vacation, I put 50 rounds through it and had 8-10 jams. Two of them took about 5 minutes each to clear. Not too reliable for something I trust my life on. I hope KT gets it fixed.
    At the risk of patronizing you (do not want to !!) a very firm grip and wrist might help ... I cut my teeth on 357s and 44s ... a firm grip-wrist was essential for controlled shooting.

The Kel Tec Owners Group has surperb advice. KTs life time warranty and reputation for making your pistol work are almost unequaled --

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=104
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    At the risk of patronizing you (do not want to !!) a very firm grip and wrist might help ... I cut my teeth on 357s and 44s ... a firm grip-wrist was essential for controlled shooting.

The Kel Tec Owners Group has surperb advice. KTs life time warranty and reputation for making your pistol work are almost unequaled --

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=104
    Just out of curiosity, why do you immediately assume I am limp-wristing it? I know how to fire handguns and assure you I am not limp-wristing as you are suggesting.

FWIW... when I got my (new) 3AT , it was very unreliable. I sent it back to KelTec , they did their "magic" and it's never missed a beat since then. I don't baby it or worry how I hold it or what I feed it, it just goes bang..... mike

Inside the waistband at 1:00... You canít go wrong.

I carry the Taurus M-85 Ultralight and love it. The bulge doesnít really show that much in the slim chance I pocket carry (maybe 3 times a year). A pocket holster will cover it if youíre concerned though.

Just out of curiosity, why do you immediately assume I am limp-wristing it? I know how to fire handguns and assure you I am not limp-wristing as you are suggesting.
    It was suggested that I did the same when my P11 malfunctioned. My P3AT just failed completely (just like it did for the testers with American Rifleman). I wonder if they had a limp wrist also? If there is a group that believe that Kel-tec products are the best things out there, then good for them. In my experience they are unreliable in my hand. If the problem is "my hand or grip" then it would be best that I use a gun that is more reliable (in my hand)!

Ron
    I carry a S&W 642 in a Mika pocket holster all day in perfect comfort. It does not print and the holster stays in the pocket when the gun is drawn. I wear both cargo and docker type pants and shorts with no problem. I can't say about jeans because I don't wear them.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

A S&W J-frame is definitely a great choice, that will take a little bit more work to conceal comfortably. With the P3AT you can wear tight pants, where with the J-frame you will need to wear a little looser pants.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

ckd
    Having a P3AT and several snubbies, an alloy snubby is about double in every respect: size, weight, power, recoil, bulk and price; but still quite concealable and comfortable to carry - stmcelroy clothing points are right on.

You can never go wrong with an alloy S&W snubby, and I doubt you'll ever have to send it back for repair.

I pocket carry my 442 daily, along with my "Primary".

Yes, the round gun will bulge more than your slab sided KelTec. It is however, easier to draw from the pocket. The "bulge" is just that, a bulge. I find that more concealable than a KelTec. Everyone and their Brother knows when I have a KelTec in my pocket it seems. When I have the revolver in the pocket I just look like a frumpy dumpy old guy.

Also, I like the reliability of the revolver over a small autoloader. In a "Duty Size" weapon I don't think either one is more advantageous than the other, but in a BUG I definately want the most reliable I can get.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links