GP100 for CCW

GP100 for CCW

This is a discussion on GP100 for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased (actually, I nearly stole it ) a 4" GP100 and I have found that I shoot it better than any other gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GP100 for CCW

GP100 for CCW

I recently purchased (actually, I nearly stole it ) a 4" GP100 and I have found that I shoot it better than any other gun that I own. I am really considering using this for my primary carry weapon. Does any use one of these as their EDC?

Opinions? Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by TimM View Post
    I recently purchased (actually, I nearly stole it ) a 4" GP100 and I have found that I shoot it better than any other gun that I own. I am really considering using this for my primary carry weapon. Does any use one of these as their EDC?
    Opinions? Comments?
    Yes Tim. I carry a 4" GP100. A good holster and a good belt are needed. Cover garments are easy. I use a FIST #14 holster that can be used OWB or IWB and a belt from Beltman for this Ruger. Congratulations on finding a steal on a fine revolver.

I don't see any reason not carry it if you’re comfortable but it is a little big IMO for CC. But over all great a gun it will never let you down try it out and see how you like.

I have about 3 guns that I will consider carrying on any given day. Each has a purpose and it largely depends on what I think I am going to be doing that day. One of those three is a 4inch GP 100 Stainless. So yes I carry it and as long as you have a decent holster and can carry it comfortably, why not?
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Yes Tim. I carry a 4" GP100. A good holster and a good belt are needed. Cover garments are easy. I use a FIST #14 holster that can be used OWB or IWB and a belt from Beltman for this Ruger. Congratulations on finding a steal on a fine revolver.

To add to the above I'd say if you haven't already, change the Ruger stocks for Hogue rubber. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...4&d=1197566698
    Last edited by wmhawth; January 8th, 2008 at 03:09 AM.

Daily carry GP100

I carry a GP100 (3", bobbed hammer, DAO) daily in a Cobra OWB holster. I replaced the factory grips with Pachmayer hard-rubber ones.

Yes Sir...my CCW is the 3 inch GP100 in either the El Paso IWB or my Basic #9 OWB.

My two carry revolvers are:

I have a 6" GP100, so no I don't carry it, but I must agree that I also shoot mine better than any of my other guns. It is my most reliable, smoothest trigger, and my primary home defense gun. I've owned mine since 1992, and will never sell it.

Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I recently switched from carrying a 4" N-Frame Revolver to a 3" GP100.

I don't think the 4" is too much gun to carry and the fact that you shoot your 4" GP100 better than your other guns is reason enough to make it your EDC, IMHO.

I now carry the 3" GP100 because I shoot it well, it carries easy and I like the .357 Magnum cartridge. If I hadn't gotten such a good deal on the 3" gun I'd be carrying a 4" GP100 myself.

Because the GP100 is on the larger side of concealed carry weapons I think, like Dawg, that a good belt and holster are crucial to maximizing your concealment. I'm using a Bruce Gibson Belt and a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. It works very well for me.

Biker

I've never carried my 3" GP but that's only because my holster hasn't arrived yet! If you can comfortably carry it, go for it.

That's a big gun to CC but it is indeed an excellent gun. I've never tried CC with mine but I'm sure it could be done with some thought going into clothing. A good holster with an excellent belt would make it happen.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess it is time to go find me some good leather.

Quote Originally Posted by TimM View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I guess it is time to go find me some good leather.
    Hope you'll keep us posted on what you get for leather and how your GP100 works out for you for concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by adaman04 View Post
    I've never carried my 3" GP but that's only because my holster hasn't arrived yet! If you can comfortably carry it, go for it.
    Does the 3" GP come with a smaller grip than the GP100 4"? I'm thinking the 3" GP uses the same grip as the SP101. My 2 1/4" SP101 conceals the best of any of my handguns. I can not find a place to carry my Champion that doesn't print due to the grip length. The little SP grip really tucks in close and doesn't print at all.

BTW, I've tried SPs with the factory, Houge and Trauch grip. The Trauch grip is the most comfortable by far (for me) especially when shooting .357 loads. I think these might fit the 3" GP100.

Cloudpeak

Like dawgfvr, I carry a 3" GP-100. I carry mine in a Galco Professional.

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links