Sig P225/p6?

This is a discussion on Sig P225/p6? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just thumbing through the pages of my latest Shotgun News. I spotted a nice deal on police trade-in SIGs. P225/P6 9mm and apparently single stack ...

Thread: Sig P225/p6?

Sig P225/p6?

Just thumbing through the pages of my latest Shotgun News. I spotted a nice deal on police trade-in SIGs. P225/P6 9mm and apparently single stack 8 round magazines. Anyone have one of these? I've been saving for a used Glock G19 figuring a $400 minimum on that, but when I saw these for right at $300 with box, manual, and one mag, I'm sort of stumped. Should I go for a used single stack 8/9 shot pistol in 9mm for the price? Or just hang out for the deal on a G19? I think I know the answer on this one---maybe I just need some re-assurance.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Just thumbing through the pages of my latest Shotgun News. I spotted a nice deal on police trade-in SIGs. P225/P6 9mm and apparently single stack 8 round magazines. Anyone have one of these? I've been saving for a used Glock G19 figuring a $400 minimum on that, but when I saw these for right at $300 with box, manual, and one mag, I'm sort of stumped. Should I go for a used single stack 8/9 shot pistol in 9mm for the price? Or just hang out for the deal on a G19? I think I know the answer on this one---maybe I just need some re-assurance.
    I bought one of these from a local dealer for $400 with box, manual, extra mag and a shoulder rig and holster. I ended trading it back and getting a 229 that was Sig Certified. The 225 refused to feed any type of hollow point ammo and was wildly inaccurate. I think it needed a new barrel at the minimum because even when the slide was closed, the barrel was very loose. It had to go back to the factory, and I didn't want to wait so I traded it. It had only been a couple of weeks so they took it back no problem. Also, the gun I got had a lot of wear. It was all chewed up on the front of the grip and the importers stamp was messed up. Oh yeah, the manual was in German.

But this was all with the gun I got, and they aren't all the same. Just be careful and make sure they'll take it back if it's a lemon.

But this was all with the gun I got that was a German Police trade in.

I like the P225, personally.
    It feels better in my hand/s than a P239.

Even if you immediately handed it over to a gunsmith for for some light TLC, I think you could do a lot worse.

Shotgun News, huh?

B.

Yeah---I love Shotgun News. I used to subscribe, but now just pick one up off the news stand or Wal-Mart's magazine section. Here's the link to the supplier so you can check it out yourself. I've been know to take some risks on pistols in the past, but usually if I can't fix them, or it's gonna cost me to get it fixed it's really not worth the trouble, and I'm not looking for collectibles. They do speak well on the condition of these though.

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/sho...roducts_id=141

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    The 225 deal will dry up some day, but they are still producing Glocks. I say the logical answer is to buy both The 225 first, and use the saved money for a Glock lay-away plan.

Seriously, tho, what do you normally carry? I try to stick with one type of trigger, mag release and safety operation. If you are used to a DA/SA the Sig would be fine, but maybe not so good if you normally carry C&L. The Glock is compatible with either.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Well, I guess I got kind of excited when I saw that. I'm still going for the G19. Twice the mag capacity and probably lighter too. Glocks are what I normally carry BTW. My only SIG thus far is a P220R SAO.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I'll support your decision here and say I think you've made the right choice, considering what you normally carry. How do you like the 220R SAO? I have a pretty serious case of gun lust for that model.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Some P6's have issues w/ hollow points, the P6 barrel is different that the real P225. The feed ramp is different and hollow points tend to nose drive and jam.

I have had ZERO issues with mine. Love it in fact. It will be my winter gun next year after a change of sights, grips and some Mitch Rosen Leather. I have never jammed a hollow point and I use 147gr. Hollowpoints in it. Personall the single stack fits like a glove. I have already added the short trigger an I am considering the Short reset trigger factory option.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Senior Moderator
    I've got a 225 that has shot alot and never even hiccuped.

I've never even heard or seen one that had any issues whatsoever.

Personally, I think that you'll regret buying a workhorse when you could have had a thoroughbred.

Glocks are OK as work guns. Kind of like wearing jeans. When you want to dress up, Sigs beat the Glocks hands down.

Only gentlemen use Sigs.
    Everyone else uses everything else.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Only gentlemen use Sigs.
    Everyone else uses everything else.

No wonder why I'm trying to trade off my P-226 for a Glock 19...

That's the best explanation I've heard for it!

Senior Moderator
    That didnt take long to get a response...
    I knew it would !

I expect there will be some more...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

My 225 was my first and favorite SIG. I now own one of each of the P-series SIGs. Obviously, it is an addiction.

But Ram Rod is asking about the P6, which is not the traditional 225. They are imported Police trade-ins from Germany. Many of them are great pistols, but I know of some that have the issues that morintp mentioned. You need to know what you are buying. There is a reason the P6 is cheap in price and you may end up w/ a lemon. I hate it when people get the lemon P6, then bad mouth the real 225 and the rest of the SIG P-series pistols, because of issues.

If he was asking about the P225, he should go-for-it without question. To me not even a question.

Just my two cents

Links