SW M&P?

This is a discussion on SW M&P? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wonder if any one can (who ownes one) tell me how they like/dislike their M&P in .40 or 9mm for ccw. Please don't post ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SW M&P?

VIP Member

Question SW M&P?

I wonder if any one can (who ownes one) tell me how they like/dislike their M&P in .40 or 9mm for ccw. Please don't post any of the " I saw one at my cousins house" type of reviews please.

Thanks

TN

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I have a 9c, which is my daily carry gun 95% of the time.

I have the version with the 12 round mag capacity and without the mag disconnect.

I like mine very much. It's light and compact, but shoots nicely and has been very reliable - with the exception of the mag catch issue.

Some owners have had problems with the mag catch rounding off internally, causing mag drops under recoil. S&W re-designed the catch with a coated part, and since I put it in I have had no problems.

I do make a point of pulling it out and inspecting it periodically, though.

I'd recommend it.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    I've shot the M&P quite a bit (all of the models, full size and compact, that are currently available). I loved them all so much that I decided I wanted the M&P 9c.

JD bought it for me for Christmas.

My intention is to carry it (as it is a lighter, smaller gun than my Wilson) in those moments when I might appreciate a lighter gun.

I haven't carried it yet, mostly because I'm still in the search for a good holster, but the compact 9mm and .40 were exceptionally comfortable to shoot. I was very pleasantly surprised.

I love the feature of being able to customize the grip to my own small hand, and the fact that it has no finger groves to try to force my tiny fingers into some pre-made mold. I also greatly enjoy the fact that it comes with the two magazines, one with the pinky extension, one without and its size is adequate enough to make it a decent range gun as well as a good carry gun.

Even the .357 Sig wasn't bad at all.

As soon as I have a good holster I'll be trying it out as a carry gun and get back to you on how well it carries.

Senior Moderator
    I've got big pockets, and occasionally carry it in a pocket holster.

Quite convenient.

Most of the time, though, it's in a C.T.A.C.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

I have a M&P full size 9mm. It's a great gun and mine has been 100% with lead RN reloads through 1000 plus rounds. But, I would have the same problem I have with my Springfield 4" Champion when it comes to concealing (the Champ and full size M&P are essentially the same size). The grip prints. I have no experience with the compact, but my guess is that it short enough in the grip that it would conceal very well.

My first semi-auto center fire was a XD40SC and I much prefer the ergonomics of the M&P. I like the trigger and magazines better and the interchangable grips are great.

Cloudpeak

VIP Member
    I see that you both own the 9c. Is there a .40 compact model, or is 9mm the only way to go compact?

TN

I had an M&P 9c. I sold it to a fellow forum member. The grip on the gun is excellent, I think I used the medium backstrap. Very relible handgun, I never had a ftf or fte or any hiccup of any kind. I fired wwb and speer gold-dots. The only reason I sold it was I couldn't get the double stack grip to sit comfortable on my side. I like to carry at the 4o'clock position and for some odd reason I just couldn't get the gun to sit comfortably on my side, so it mostly sat in the nighttand next to my bed. I am also not a fan of accessory rails on carry guns, and the m&p has a small rail on it, for hd guns I don't have a problem with them, but on a gun dedicated to be my concealed carry, I prefer for it to not have a rail. Otherwise it is an excellent handgun and for the money, it is hard to beat. The mag catch issue was resolved with later versions of the m&p, mine never had the mag release problem at all.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I've owned 2 M&P 40 compacts. Both would lock back with rounds still in the magazine. Both would fail to feed Fiocchi 170 grain ammo. My last one had 2 light off-center primer strikes in the first 50 rounds.

I don't send guns back to the factory to "make right." These pistols have been out for a couple of years now, there are no excuses for teething problems. M&P's are notorious for dropping mags during firing. Have they fixed this problem?

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=14

Seems to me that a lot of recent posts on that board indicate that S&W has never heard of quality control. A lifetime warranty isn't worth squat if your pistol fails during a gunfight.

The pictures of an M&P with RUST on the slide told me everything I need to know about S&W quality control. RUST on a stainless steel slide coated with Melonite? WTH?

YMMV, of course. Even if I bought one tomorrow that was perfect, there would always be that question in the back of my mind on whether the striker was going to break or the mag was going to pop out or I would drop a mag with rounds still in it when the slide locked back. (Happened to me numerous times during qualification) I have no such concerns over my daily carry Glock 27. Proven reliability is worth something to me.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I see that you both own the 9c. Is there a .40 compact model, or is 9mm the only way to go compact?

TN
    There is a .40 compact, and theoretically a .357 Sig compact as well (although none of the dealers near me have ever seen one in .357 Sig).

Matt

I carry a full size M&P9. I have encounterd no problems at all. Shoots point of aim and has great ergonomics.

I would highly reccomend one.

It is a great gun which can be had for around $400 here in central Ohio.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I have a 40C. My only complaint is the mag release is sensitive and I'm waiting on the new mag release button to arrive from S&W. The gun is accurate and shoots great. I carried it a few times but I'm waiting for my IWB to be finished. On the existing mag release button, I sanded the button down so it isn't as easy to hit and that made a big dirrerence.

S&W has fixed the mag release issue. I have handled many of the M&P guns, but only shot one full sized 9mm. They seem to fit nicely and as of yet we haven't seen any come back to us to be sent to S&W for repair. You might want to be wary of buying a used one though for problems mentioned previously, especially since the warranty is only for the original owner.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I have owned and carried a 40c for the past year and I love it. It goes with me everywhere including the firing range on a weekly basis. I have fired 4 different brands of ammunition thru it and it seems to like all of them. Never had a malfunction. I keep it loaded with Magtech Guardian Gold Series 155 grain JHP. I was originally concerned about a compact model in as much as I have rather large hands. After handling the gun I was amazed at how comfortable it was. One thing you want to do is handle all the guns you are interested in and find one that fits your hand and gives you good sight alignment. I'm satisfied with the 40c.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    My intention is to carry it (as it is a lighter, smaller gun than my Wilson) in those moments when I might appreciate a lighter gun.
    What?! The fact that you even considered let alone now own anything other than a 1911 is shocking! I thought your lighter gun was the Kimber.

I'd be carrying that Wilson Combat everywhere........

Lucky.

I agree with monkey, although I on occasion carry a USP compact of my XD, but very rarely. The weight doesn't bother me, and they are harder to conceal... Although I want a M&P as I have the rifle and think that the rounded edges would make it easy to conceal. It feels very good in the hand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links