Ruger SR9 Question

This is a discussion on Ruger SR9 Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone touched the new Ruger SR9. There was a write up in G&A with 12000 rounds through it and no failures. I looked at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR9 Question

Ruger SR9 Question

Has anyone touched the new Ruger SR9. There was a write up in G&A with 12000 rounds through it and no failures. I looked at the specs and liked what I have seen. The height, weight & width look respectable. The looks are great and from what I have researched - the price is going between $350-$400 in most cases. What I really like is the 17 +1 capacity it has. I am thinking this might be my next gun - but want to hear from anyone out there that has one or felt one. I love my Glocks - but this looks sweet.
    Last edited by FlyboyLDB; January 9th, 2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Not 2000 rounds, but 12000 rounds through it

2. Remove Ads

I still can't believe how skinny the gun is.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I still can't believe how skinny the gun is.
    Have you seen one in person? I am going over to Sportsman's Warehouse to see if they have any in stock.

I got to hold one in my little hand just recently and I am impressed with it. It looks to be well made. If I was in the market I believe I would get one of these. The price is very inviting. I am not a big fan of Ruger semi-autos (no there is nothing wrong with them, just a personal preference), but I would definitely consider buying one of these.

I held one at a gunshow over the weekend.

It has a very narrow grip,feels really good in hand and seems like it would conceal very nicely.

I doubt Sportsman's has any. Might be a diff story in GA, but last time I talked with our hand gun buyer they still didn't have any for us yet. I did look at one at a small gun store down the street though, seems like a nice gun and the writeup I read on it didn't have many bad things to say about it.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I held one about 2 hours ago. I liked it as far as how it fit in my hand. The weight was fine, but it was unloaded at the time. The finish is about what you would expect from Ruger. Nothing fancy, but looked very useable. And it was thin, especially compared to the other Ruger semi-autos.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

I need to check one out. Last Ruger semi auto I owned was a P95: built like a tank but chunky as one too.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

The one I've fired was accurate, slim & well balanced. The interchangeable backstrap worked well. The mag. release was really hard to depress enough to fully release the mag. This gun had a mag. disconnect, trigger pull was not the greatest but with the mag. dis. thats not a surprise. It came with two 17 rd mags that fed fmj, cor-bons and wwb without any ftf. Why it took Ruger so long to produce a slim handgun beat's me, but its built tuff like the 345 model. I'm sure they will sell millions.
    What you think you know.... Can kill you!

Quote Originally Posted by sourmash View Post
    The one I've fired was accurate, slim & well balanced. The interchangeable backstrap worked well. The mag. release was really hard to depress enough to fully release the mag. This gun had a mag. disconnect, trigger pull was not the greatest but with the mag. dis. thats not a surprise. It came with two 17 rd mags that fed fmj, cor-bons and wwb without any ftf. Why it took Ruger so long to produce a slim handgun beat's me, but its built tuff like the 345 model. I'm sure they will sell millions.
    You can either enable/disable the Mag Disconnect - according to the write up in G&A.

I am one of those that has more guns than I need, but not as many as I want. But I have decided to purchase another 9mm. Will it be the SA EMP or the Ruger SR9? Price vs. beauty I guess - not that the SR9 is ugly - but the EMP is gun eye candy.

I've got one. Had it since the end of October. First production run w/ the knife... $440. (Impact Guns)

I like it. It's relatively thin, well-balanced, and comfortable in the hand. The thumb safety is in a comfortable spot and clicks on and off easily. The magazine release is easy to press. It disassembles easily and quickly. It's accurate. The magazines have gotten easier to load over time. Although, I still use the tool when loading them.

Couldn't care less about the magazine safety. I can easily remove it. That's why it was designed the way it was.

At the range, I tend feed it whatever is inexpensive. For carry, I use both 124 gr. and 147 gr. Federal HST. No FTF, no FTE and I've put about 750 rounds through it.

I carry it in a Bianchi 7 Shadow II holster for the Glock 36. It fits nicely.

For me, the gun is a winner. If they come out with a SR45, I'll buy it.

Senior Moderator
    I got to fondle one the other day at the gunshop and I must admit, I was impressed. I've always felt that Ruger missed the mark with their P series,they were thick,heavy,ugly and had the ergonomics of a brick.

The SR9 is a welcome departure from that...a new step up that Ruger sorely needed.

I liked it and thought that it felt great. The first thing that I would do if I ever bought one would be to disable that silly magazine disconnect.

Its definaltey a step in the rght direction. Between the Ruger SR9,the SW MP,and the various Springfields, I think that GLOCK had better wake up and notice, because if sales of the above are any indication, the Glock is being left way way behind. Its time for Glock to get off their butts and come up with something new.

The SR9 is another nail in the Glock coffin.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I held one at the Sportsman's Warehouse here in Reno last week. It felt great in my hand. It truly is the slimmest double-stack handgun I've ever held. The ergonomics felt good too. The trigger felt gritty (yes, there was a mag in the gun), but that may clear up after the initial cleaning and a bit of range time. If I remember the G&A article correctly, he thought the SR9 had a great trigger. It was only $399. I almost bought the gun on the spot, but my budget got the best of me and I had to walk away from it. It will almost definitely be in my collection someday.

Quote Originally Posted by njeske View Post
    ..... The trigger felt gritty (yes, there was a mag in the gun), but that may clear up after the initial cleaning and a bit of range time. If I remember the G&A article correctly, he thought the SR9 had a great trigger.
    If you remember in the article, if you did not remove the mag disconnect and dry fired it, the trigger would feel "gritty".

In the OP I stated 2000 rounds through it with no failures - it should have stated 12000 rounds!

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I was impressed with the one I held. I'm waiting for the compact version. I thought it was too big for carry, atleast for me anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links