Safeties, triggers, and the ultimate safety? - Page 2

Safeties, triggers, and the ultimate safety?

This is a discussion on Safeties, triggers, and the ultimate safety? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I prefer as few "gizmos" on my guns as possible. I carry either a Glock or a 1911 and use a DA .357 revolver for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safeties, triggers, and the ultimate safety?

I prefer as few "gizmos" on my guns as possible. I carry either a Glock or a 1911 and use a DA .357 revolver for a car-gun. I don't mind the safety on the 1911 because I've practiced my presentation often enough with it that I can disengage the safety without thinking about it. Of course, the Glock and the revolver don't have any "active" safeties (just "passive" safeties) so they don't require anything other than point and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders
    The Taurus seemed to offer the best of all worlds, that's why I decided to get it. The price was right too, $350 NIB. It's like a 1911/Sig226 hybrid. It only has a 8+1 capability, but I have a spare mag. If I need to fire off more than 16 rounds, especially with a 45, I'm in deep poop and will probably need more than a few extra bullets to pull my butt out of the fire.
    This is off-topic (sorry) but I was curious how that Taurus has performed for you. How long have you had it? How many rounds have you put through it (give or take)? Have you modified it in any way or replaced any parts?

I ask because I've looked at them in the past but have never talked to anybody that actually has one.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

KENPOTEX...

I've only had the Taurus a few weeks and put about 100 rounds through it, so the jury is still out on reliability. So far though, I think it's great and I'm very happy with the purchase. If John Browning had made his 1911 a DA, I think he'd have made this gun. It feels and handles much like the 1911 but is DA/SA vs. SA only and much easier to take down... no barrel bushings, the slide release is a button instead if a pin and all the other stuff that makes the 1911 a pain the take down and reassemble has been simplified or eliminated. The inner workings are more like a Hi Power or a SIG. I wasn't trying for accuracy at the range, rather I was just getting a feel for the gun, how it works and trying to break it in a bit. Still, using WWB ball ammo I had no failures from the 100 rounds I shot and at 10 yards, I averaged groups of less than 3" firing 5 shot strings offhand. There was the occasional flyer that bumped a group to about 5", but more often than not most shot groups were 2" or less. The gun will probably shoot better than I'm capable of shooting it when it's broken in a bit more. One drawback, at least from the standpoint of concealed carry, is it's a relatively large and heavy gun... about the same size and weight of a combat commander. Still, if you're comfortable carrying a gun that size, it should be no problem. Fit and finish are excellent and there are aftermarket accessories available (grips, extra mags, sights, holsters, springs, etc) for it if you want to do a bit of customizing

Bottom line - It shoots and feels like a 1911 that was mated with a Hi Power. It's been accurate, reliable (at least after 100 rounds), has "modern" extra's like improved sights, DA/SA trigger and a decocker with the familiar feel and safety of the 1911. Also, at $350, I think it was a steal.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Thanks for the info. I may have to give those a closer look next time I run across one.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

One more thing about the PT945 (actually 2 more things).

First, they come with the built in Taurus safety lock. Insert a hex type key into a small screw in the rear of the grip and it locks/unlocks the trigger. Some folks like 'em, some don't. My view is it's great if you want to keep unauthorized little hands from playing with the trigger and if you don't like them, just don't use it.

Second, I read up on the PT945 a bit before I bought mine. I checked the web and looked at some forums/newsgroups. The only problems I saw mentioned were a couple of posts about the guns not have good accuracy and they involved guns made prior to about 2000. They also said that they returned the guns to the factory to be checked or got new barrels and the problem went away.

Even with those gripes, 9 of 10 people said thay loved the gun.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders
    One more thing about the PT945 (actually 2 more things).

First, they come with the built in Taurus safety lock. Insert a hex type key into a small screw in the rear of the grip and it locks/unlocks the trigger. Some folks like 'em, some don't. My view is it's great if you want to keep unauthorized little hands from playing with the trigger and if you don't like them, just don't use it.

Second, I read up on the PT945 a bit before I bought mine. I checked the web and looked at some forums/newsgroups. The only problems I saw mentioned were a couple of posts about the guns not have good accuracy and they involved guns made prior to about 2000. They also said that they returned the guns to the factory to be checked or got new barrels and the problem went away.

Even with those gripes, 9 of 10 people said thay loved the gun.
    Thanks for the extra info.

Matt K.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links