Opinion on 9mm CCW

This is a discussion on Opinion on 9mm CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My primary carry (winter) is my 5" 1911. I am selling my .40 Witness steel 4" and ammo to get a 9mm (range economics) and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on 9mm CCW

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar

Opinion on 9mm CCW

My primary carry (winter) is my 5" 1911. I am selling my .40 Witness steel 4" and ammo to get a 9mm (range economics) and ammo. I love my Witness but feel it is too heavy and too thick for comfortable summer wear. I know I am opening a can of worms, but what 9mm's should I try on that a) cost less than $400; b) are thin enough to comfortably carry IWB; and c) have enough capacity to be an effective carry weapon? I never liked 9mm but my son made some good points in today's phone call.

In my very limited search I like the Taurus 24/7 Pro 17+1 and the Witness Polymer 13+1. Kahr's do nothing for me and are as pricey as S&W (not sure who thought higher priced is better...). Thanks!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

See this post http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=39239

I also carry a Kel-Tec PF9 for those days when I need to be more concealed. You can pick up great used 9mm for <$400. I have a 1911 9mm that I carry sometimes - I think I gave around $280 or so.

I live in Phoenix without winter coats. I have no problem whatsoever carrying a 5" 1911 in hot weather clothing. Amazing how incognito you can look in shorts, a wifebeater tucked in, and an open Hawaiian or Cuban shirt. The patterns really conceal whatever print you might have. I'll stick with my trusty .45's!

look at the s&w mp9 compact. slightly over 400 but very nice, small gun.
    Kahr CW9
    Rossi .38
    S&W SD9VE
    Mossberg 500 12ga
    Sears 12ga
    Marlin Model 60SS

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post

In my very limited search I like the Taurus 24/7 Pro 17+1 and the Witness Polymer 13+1. Kahr's do nothing for me and are as pricey as S&W (not sure who thought higher priced is better...). Thanks!
    Since you don't like Kahr...

A used 9mm XD sub compact?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member
    With your price range in mind, and the fact you are wanting a 9-mm for economics, I am under the impression that your going to shoot a lot, so you will need something more substantial than a Kel-Tec PF-9 (great gun to carry) and my suggestion behind door #1--------Ruger SR-9. There you go.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Any of the subcompact or compact polymers (Springfield, S&W, or Glock) can be found for close to 400 used. I have a Glock 26 that I picked up for 400 even, it was used but fresh as a daisy. I believe they are all lovely to shoot, and they always will go bang. Each of the models also typically have a lot of holster options.

The Glock (I don't know about the others) has loads of parts and accessories available on Ebay.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    ... too heavy and too thick for comfortable summer wear...
    Hmmm...I carried full sized Witness P in 10mm this summer in Crossbreed IWB under polo in office this last summer without detection. I now carry Glock 29 16 hrs a day in same IWB rig. All very comfortable and easy to carry. I am 5' 11" 210 lbs.

Have you tried different carry techniques and or holsters? I'd rather experiment that dirrection rather than moving down the lethality chart...to a little 9 or even .40...IMHO.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Thanks! Yes, I intend to shoot a lot. I read the thread about Ruger's newest entry....I'll check it out. AZ - I'll try your wardrobe! I prefer my .45 to anything else and will probably get a small 9mm for those times I need to run to the local shop-n-rob for provisions and don't feel like "dressing around my gun." Rbrown - thanks for the feedback. I have you by 20#, but have developed into the pear-shaped guy (a radical departure from my younger days.....). I haven't felt comfortable with my Witness IWB, but that could be more of a holster function than my rotundness.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I'm a Glock nut. So I'm gonna say a Glock 26 is your best bet in 9mm, that or the 19. But the grip is rather long on the 19. The 26 is a subcompact, so it's easier to conceal. The 26 will probably run you about $400 used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock_26

Some excellent 9s have already been mentioned. I fully intend to geta PF-9 before too long to use as a pocket pistol. I don't think I'd want to shoot it a lot, though.

I'd mention for your consideration that you take a look at the FN lineup. My young bride's FNP-9 is a joy to shoot. It can be set up left or right handed and has the ergonomically adjustable grip.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I dont think you should throw out the idea of a kahr because of price just yet. I spent a whole 1 hr on the internet looking around and found a brand new Kahr CW9 on gunbroker for $345. Its just like the Kahr P-9 in size and weight. Do some looking before settling on a decision.

Last edited by FIRE310; January 9th, 2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: pic

This is a hell of a deal:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411534724

Really nice gun for the money IMHO:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg131-e.htm

9mm are great. if you like ur old 1911. dont forget you can get one chambered in a 9. i have the kimber ultra aegis and love it

Quote Originally Posted by klx9mm View Post
    look at the s&w mp9 compact. slightly over 400 but very nice, small gun.
    +1

The M&P9c is a sweet shooting little gun. I didn't warm up to mine, still prefer the Glock for carry, but the M&P is an excellent choice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links