FEG PPK's and Makarovs

This is a discussion on FEG PPK's and Makarovs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Euc - you beat me two it!!! I have a Bersa Thunder duo-tone and find it an excellent small piece - very comfortable to shoot ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FEG PPK's and Makarovs

Assistant Administrator
    Euc - you beat me two it!!! I have a Bersa Thunder duo-tone and find it an excellent small piece - very comfortable to shoot and mine will even eat crap Russian ammo!

Mine resides most of time in a fanny pack - which I use rarely but if pick it up to take out perhaps with some documents, Mr Bersa is in there by default!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up

Yes Eric
    The PMK/PMJ/SMC types in the PPK and PPKs are the ones I was looking at...great little cheapo pocket rocket gun indeed. The one I saw was chamberd in 9MM short, or commonly named .380 auto. prety cheap bug, or quick in-a-rush pocket gun. How can ya beat a price of 100.00 to 125.00 for that? ESPECIALLY if it works as well as you say it does.

Go with the Makarov BEST buy for the buck. They are forged steel not alloy of some kind will last almost forever, and if needed parts are available and easy to install with little fitting. The weight of the weapon is an advantage it helps tame the recoil of the 9X18 round.

I had the opportunity to shoot a Walther PPK .380, Russian Makaraov .380, and a KelTec P3AT side by side. The PPK and Makarov were comparable in accuracy, but the PPK was a bit smaller and lighter. The PPK jammed a lot on hollow points and it didn't seem very reliable. But like others have said, maybe we just had not found it's perfect ammo... The P3AT performed reliably without malfunction. I was amazed at how small that thing is. It ejects the shells about 20 feet in the air so not good if you collect brass for reloading. The Mak I now possess (it has been my fathers for many man years) and has never had a single malfunction to speak of despite the vast variety of different ammo we have put through it.

As far as handling, the P3AT was a stinger, but not unmanageable. The PPK was okay, but the double action trigger pull was horrendous. I personally enjoy shooting the makarov. Follow up is fast and easy. It pushes the 'pocket carry' envelope, but I can get away with it with baggy shorts or pants.

My Hungarian FEG PA-63 in .380, is very picky with ammo. It only likes Winchester, or Cor-Bon. It seems ammo with a case that is wider that the bullet, will not feed reliably.

Im probably going to carry it more in the fall. Ill just keep it in a light jacket pocket.
    Last edited by gregarat; August 15th, 2005 at 08:50 PM.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well Ive had 4 of the little FEG's in 380-9x18 and all have given me the same perfect reliability. Accurate and are just good guns. For the money....Id rather have a steel/alloy framed FEG than the Bersa. The Bersa has better sights and a trigger but its the same size as the Mak and is a tad to big for most to pocket carry. Mind you.....I like Bersa's alot. Ive often compared them to Sig 230-232's for 1/2 the price. But my main pocket carry is still the SMC380.
    Mine does everything I need it too.......and then some.
    Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    OOOOOO LP if it's a true Interarms Walther, and you can snag it for reasonable $$ then go for it. The newer Walthers are coming in stamped with the Smith and Wesson markings. A nice German or Interarms Walther would be a GREAT find.. Good luck with it, and I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting it too :
    The new S&W PPK/S are made here in US under Lic. from Walters. They are not Imported. They are proving to be as good as the old German models. With the tang change Walter bite is gone for those that had that problem. I have a old Interarms stainless that has been a reliable pocket gun for a long time. I keep mine loaded with CorBons HP and only shoot with factory mags.
    The others are good guns I just don't like limited ammo selection. I do not order anything over Net or by mail. So all that cheap 9x18 ammo doesn't mean a thing to me. In my area I can get ball.no HP's. Thats it. So I will stay with my 380's better ammo selection
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

I'm going to pick up one of those FEG R61s in 9x18 Mak...Looks like a PPK...blue slide, polished reciever... $120.00 out the door...how can ya beat that deal?

Hi Guys!

I'm back from vacation and the walther worked out fine. I did notice that it's finiky about amo though! I used remington first and had only one feed problem. With American Eagle I had 3 jams in 50 shots and it made one hell of a mess inside the gun. Remington is much much cleaner.

I still haven't talked to my buddy about a purchase price but I'll let you all know how I make out.

Mike

Mike? you might want to take a look at the feed ramp on that gun. I've been told by several guys who've bought those S&W Walthers, that the guns are VERY picky about the diet of ammo they are fed. I found a Interarms Stainless Walther PPK in North Chelmsford Ma if you'd like the dealer's name, I'll supply it for you. He's actually in Pelham NH, BUT he has his FFL in Ma as well, so no problem with a transfer to you.
    Send me a PM, and I'll provide info.

Administrator

Walther PPK PPK/S

Sometimes on the Walther PPK/S the juncture line where the fixed barrel and the frame form the feed ramp...the tips of some hollow points will "catch" on that ramp line.
    Usually, in actual shooting there is enough slide mass to slam them home into the chamber anyway. Ball ammo always feeds.
    With SOME (not all) hollow points you may need to have the feed ramp carefully polished. It depends on the bullet nose configuration. Some Walther .380s have this problem & some do not.
    It's only about a $20.00 fix (to polish the ramp) if you have it done by a local "smith" though. Aside from that the Walther is an amazing and ACCURATE, totally reliable little firearm.
    You also need to buy Factory spare mags and not cheapo aftermarket mags. Cheap magazines do not seem to work too well in ANY Walther.

<shudder> Somehow, Smith and Walther, just doesn't sound right. LOL
    The feed ramp polish should take the worry of reliability away. 380 pistols are fussy, no matter who made em.
    QKs definetly giving you good advice, buy the Walther factory mags, and not the cheapo ones

I think that might be the problem with my FEG

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Its one of the biggest probs with blow back guns. Polishing the ramp will usually fix this problem. Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Actually guys, I was using ball amo this past week with that wather I was looking to buy and it jammed anyway. 4 times in 100 rounds. It made me wonder..........what the hell was "Q" thinking?

I'll look into the cost of getting the feed ramp polished asap! Thanks for the tip!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links