Colt Lawman Mk III

This is a discussion on Colt Lawman Mk III within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just put a Colt Lawman Mk III on layaway at my local gun shop. I originally wanted a 1911, but I got to shoot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Lawman Mk III

Colt Lawman Mk III

I just put a Colt Lawman Mk III on layaway at my local gun shop. I originally wanted a 1911, but I got to shoot a S&W J frame at the range and it fit me like a glove. I've got little hands, BTW.
    I'm really looking forward to taking possession of it and carrying it. Sweet! I love the old '70's cop movies, so I call it my "Serpico" gun.
    Does anyone have any experiences/thoughts about the Lawman? Just curious!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

2. Remove Ads

Hey Taggart;

I got to spend an afternoon last summer with a 4-inch Lawman and several different full-power .357 Magnum handloads I had on hand. Though I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Smith & Wesson fan I came away favorably impressed with the revolver. I'd never shot or handled one before. It ate up all the heavy 2400/158 grain JHP handloads I fed it along with some cast 158 grain SWC's over a full charge of Unique and some factory loads as well. I didn't feel ill used by the revolver in the recoil department. It soaked up recoil quite well in my view. I've got fairly large hands with long fingers but don't like bulky grips so the factory grips pleased me just fine. The bullets effectively printed to point of aim at 12 yards, perhaps being just a whisker low. The fixed sights were sharp to see and easy to use. I really like fixed sights and prefer simple black sights without white or colored outlines or inserts. All in all it was a rugged revolver with a nice action and smoother than I expected. I always prefered the older V-spring double action Colt revolvers of which the Python and Diamondback were the last models to feature such a design. The Lawman's action features a coil main spring, first introduced in 1969.

The Lawman also could be had with a 2-inch barrel which, along with the S&W Model 19 2 1/2-inch, and Ruger SP 101 looks like a top choice for a snubbie .357 to me over any smaller revolver so chambered.

Did you get a 4-inch or a 2-inch? After shooting that Lawman I started paying attention to them and have noticed that the 2-inch guns are not too common. They appear to have a bit of a cult following as well.

Hey, bmcgilvray! Thanks for the reply.
    I got the 2". (That's the size I shot at the range) I've been told it's a bit of a collector's item. But don't get me wrong...I WILL be shooting it. Not just "collecting it.
    I've actually reconsidered my position on 1911's in the past couple of months as far as weight and size go. I still want a 1911 someday, but I think the Lawman would be an ideal carry gun for me.
    Thanks again!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

I've picked up a 4" heavy barrel lawman MkIII a couple months ago. It's rapidly becoming my most used revolver, both for myself, and my daughters. Feels great, soaks up recoil as well as any revolver, accurate, decent trigger, what's not to like?

I have a 4" S&W 620 .357 as well, but everyone who shoots both seem to like the colt better.

The lawman never developed the high price and collector value of Colt's 'snake guns', but as a shooter, they're tough to beat!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Neato that you got the 2-inch. Shame that Colt stopped making the Lawman. It's a nice revolver that ought to be in there competing with the S&W and Ruger guns. It gives up nothing to the others. Since I shoot my collectible (so called) guns I'd be happy to shoot a Lawman up a storm. Careful use along with proper maintenance won't hurt it a bit and it'll still likely eventually ride the coat tails of other Colt revolvers upwards in price.

I came soooooo close to convincing Tag to acutually "BUY" a semi-auto in the 1911 frame or something close. (and yesss I'm well aware that to most out there - the ONLY handgun IS the 1911) But when he saw that Colt Lawman sitting in the case staring back at him - I new all my efforts were in vain.

Ah a gotta give him some crap! Seriously though, I was there when he put cash down on it (sorry about the push bud............. well not really) it's a nice revolver in anybody's book!

-Now hurry up and finish paying it off so we can go to the range!

I wanna see it up against the "noisy cricket" !!
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

Quote Originally Posted by cupsz71 View Post
    Now hurry up and finish paying it off so we can go to the range!

I wanna see it up against the "noisy cricket" !!
    What Brad is referring to there is my Colt .25 Auto. (It's a "Men In Black" reference)
    Can you guess we're bored at work today?
    Last edited by taggart; January 9th, 2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Clarification y'all
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Just cause it's soooo teeny tiney............ it looks like one of my kids water pistols!!
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

Had the 4" Model for quite awhile nice guns i had someone that wanted it more than i did so i sold it and kept my trooper

Thanks, Bud!
    Yeah, I've seen a lot of 4" models for sale. I like the 2" personally. The "wee" one!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

I saw a nice 2" Lawman at the gun show just before xmas. I wish I'd had a bit more cash at the time. It would really fit nicely between my Detective Special and Trooper Mark III. Now you've got me planning to be on the lookout at the next show!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

That's my next goal...to get the Detective Special AND the Trooper. The "hat trick" so to speak!
    I can't recall offhand. Did the Trooper come in 2" also? I've seen a bunch of 4" on those, too.
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

I believe the Trooper came in 4" & 6". Mine is the 6" in lustreless nickle finish. It's just an amazing revolver.

And the Dick Special, a favorite of mine for concealed carry.

And my young bride's Cobra.

It's really a shame Colt no longer makes their line double-action revolvers. I just love 'em!
    Last edited by rodc13; January 12th, 2008 at 08:51 AM.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

No Serial

I bought a .357 Colt Lawman MK III from a fellow (retired) employee. He stated that he bought it out of the box in the 70's. He hardly ever used it and sold it to me for cash. It had a 2" barrel. For the life of me I cannot find a serial number anywhere on the firearm itself. I have the origanl grips and have taken the entire weapon apart....and have not found a serial number. There are no markings on the gun itself to suggest that the number was grinded off.

What would a weapon like this be worth? (no serial)

The serial number should be on the frame when you open it and swing out the crane (yoke to the S&W guys).

I think a 2-inch Lawman should knock a hole in $400 easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links