Kimber Field Strip

This is a discussion on Kimber Field Strip within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well today I finally gave in and did it. I bought a Kimber Eclipse Pro Target 2. The gun seems very nice, I bought it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Field Strip

Kimber Field Strip

Well today I finally gave in and did it. I bought a Kimber Eclipse Pro Target 2. The gun seems very nice, I bought it new for $875 straight up, no tax, from a friend that was a former FFL. The only problem is, I don't know how to remove the guide rod. Is thier a special tool I need that I don't have. I figured I'd ask here first, because I sure the answer is simple, and I don't want to make the gun shop I go to thinking Im stupid. Nevermind on the takedown I figured it out. Do you all think I got good deal on this pistol though?
    Last edited by bmwaddicted; January 9th, 2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: I got smart enough to read owner's manual

2. Remove Ads

If it's like my Pro Carry unload the gun and lock the slide back. You will see a small hole in the guide rod. There should be a small L shaped tool to put through the hole if not find a rigid piece of wire to hold the rod back then you can take it apart like any other 1911. Be careful not to put an idiot scratch on it when you remove the slide release. If you bought it new you should have a manual for it and the tool. Good luck.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

My 2 cents

The best way that I have found to keep the spring compressed to remove the guide rod is to use the little plastic semi-circular ring that is supplied with ultra compact springers. If you don't have one of those I made my own by drilling a whole in a small dowel rod then cutting off the edge.

If you don't want to do that you have to use the supplied "paper clip" that Kimber sends to keep the spring compressed. This is a last resort option for me.
    BE

Kimber Ultra Eclipse .45
    XD 9 Service
    Beretta Cheetah FS 86 .380
    Springfield UC .45
    XD 45 Compact

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Why don't you take a look at what our own Limatunes has to say on the subject?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcOHRhvocjw

Also I was wondering if their is a 10mm conversion barrel available for this gun?

if its like my aegis and has the stupid little hole to put the paper clip thingy on it..
    i dont use that. im a pretty wussy girl and i have no problem popping the spring out myself.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    if its like my aegis and has the stupid little hole to put the paper clip thingy on it..
    i dont use that. im a pretty wussy girl and i have no problem popping the spring out myself.
    What's wrong with using the tool? I use it all the time on my Kimbers. It's not about having the strength, it's about making it easier.

I can only assume you're talking about a full length guide rod. I don't know if they still make them, but I've got a Dawson Precision "Tool-Less" guide rod in my 1911. Makes life a lot easier....

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by kimberbp22 View Post
    What's wrong with using the tool? I use it all the time on my Kimbers. It's not about having the strength, it's about making it easier.
    mine is a huge pain to get in.
    not sure why. it seems the whole is a little bit too far into the gun. the frame is in the way. for mine its way easier to just deal with the spring.
    but heck, even when i do get it in, i still think just dealing with the spring is easier. i always had to adjust the little tool just right so it was centered when putting it back in and such.
    just me

Assuming the OP has already gotten the answer to his question, I would like to ask a separate but somewhat related question. I put an "idiot scratch" on my brand new eclipse. How can I go about removing it? Sandpaper? Scotch brite?

Please help! It's my first 1911, so yeah, I'm now a member of the club :)

I depress the spring with the front of a magazine. The kimber mags have the perfect curve to match. I don't know if this was intended but it works and I should always have it with me so if in a jam and need to service I don't need to skip a beat because I did not carry their supplied tool.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    mine is a huge pain to get in.
    not sure why. it seems the whole is a little bit too far into the gun. the frame is in the way. for mine its way easier to just deal with the spring.
    but heck, even when i do get it in, i still think just dealing with the spring is easier. i always had to adjust the little tool just right so it was centered when putting it back in and such.
    just me
    After having the same problem on my previous Kimber's, and the current ones I have and my son has, I solved that by using a pair of wire cutters to cut a small piece of the Kimber 'L' shaped tool off. After noticing that the small end of the tool was wider than the guide rod, I measured exactly how wide the guide rod was, then clipped the small end of the tool to make it the same width.... no more problems !

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I just take my always handy multi-tool and cut a take down tool from an always hands paper clip...must have a dozen "L" shaped paper clip wires around my office

No need for a tool to make a tool! Just stick one end of a paper clip (straightened a little by hand) into the hole and bend til it's inline with the barrel. Just make the straight part long enough to clear the front of the gun when you let go of the spring for the rod to rest on the paper clip. No need to clip it off into a nice "L" shape. In fact it'll be easier to find in the range bag if it's not an "L"!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    No need for a tool to make a tool! Just stick one end of a paper clip (straightened a little by hand) into the hole and bend til it's inline with the barrel. Just make the straight part long enough to clear the front of the gun when you let go of the spring for the rod to rest on the paper clip. No need to clip it off into a nice "L" shape. In fact it'll be easier to find in the range bag if it's not an "L"!

hey, I have to justify carrying around a multi tool for the last 20+ years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links