Could use some others' thoughts here...

This is a discussion on Could use some others' thoughts here... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been narrowing my pistols down to particular calibers that I like and I know will be around (or so we all hope...). One ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could use some others' thoughts here...

Could use some others' thoughts here...

I have been narrowing my pistols down to particular calibers that I like and I know will be around (or so we all hope...).
    One of them is .45acp, which is covered. I like the .38 special and the snub nosed revolver, and the .22 magnum, which does double duty as a small game/varmint round and close-up protection.
    I am considering giving up the colt mustang .380, for another pistol of one of the three mentioned above.
    Some of you see where I am going with this.
    All comments and advice are welcomed... Thank you.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    After reading your many positive raves on the Mustang, I'd keep it if I were you. They are getting hard to find, and are demanding a premium price in most cases, if you get rid of it, it will be hard to replace later, and if it's years instead of months later, you may end up spending a lot more to replace it.

Edited to add: If you decide to sell, I call dibbs.

Assistant Administrator
    I'll add to JD's comment - KEEP that lil Mustang ........ be sad to lose that.

.380 is still viable IMO.... even if it is only "9mm short"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    He he... don't forget a 22lr!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I think trimming down to "common" calibers is, all in all, a pretty good idea.

In a SHTF situation, or if *God forbid* martial law was declared, I doubt you'll be able to find .380, .357 sig, 10mm, etc...
    But 9mm, 45 ACP, 38/357, 30-30, 30-06, 308, 223, 7.62 should all be available if one is willing to look.

I like the idea of choosing two pistol cals, two rifle cals, and one shotgun gauge, and stocking up on ammo for it.
    My preferences would be .45 ACP, .357 Mag, 30-30 (I love lever action), and 7.62 (soon as I buy a cheapie AK).

As to your Mustang, if you like it, keep it. Just stockpile a bit of ammo for it :)

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I have regretted many of my past sales or trades...I should have kept most of them...that's hindsight.

Keep the .380, and save for the .45, OMO.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

everything you folks say makes good sense, I think I'm itchin' for another piece'.... hmmmmmm......what shall it be ? I'm thinkin' a Smith 351PD in .22mag.

That does seem a lil' backward selling a .380 to get a .22 magnum.

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I've regretted selling too many guns. Unless it's a complete dog that just doesn't work, I'll never sell another. Please keep the Mustang!

I'd keep the Colt Mustang for sure. A good friend has one and it's really nice to pack and shoot. They are great .380 pistols and getting pricier.

I know how gun owners can get. If the moon is right or the tea leaves and chicken entrails say so, a gun owner gets a hankering for a trade. There are a few guns in the collection that, while I really enjoy them, still make me wince when I consider what I traded off in order to get them. You'll enjoy your new acquisitions better if you keep the ones you like. Unload the useless dogs though.

Only my view but a fellow shouldn't get too far into building his firearms collection before acquiring at least one quality .22 rifle and .22 pistol (.22 Long Rifle), the flavor of which he can choose. I had an inexpensive .22 rifle early in life but had amassed quite a few handguns before I purchased my first .22 handgun. I bought a pair of Smith & Wesson revolvers, a Model 14 .38 Special and a Model 17 .22 Long Rifle, both with 8 3/8-inch barrels. Even after I got them home that day I wasn't convinced I really needed the .22 which was purchased on a whim while going for the long-barreled Model 14 that I'd wanted so badly. I sat and admired the .38, leaving the .22 in it's box. It was startling to find out how great the .22 handgun is for fun and practice. Within a week I was wondering how I'd ever gotten along without one. Some 28 years later I still have both revolvers, but the Model 17 has literally fired at least a carton of ammo for every single .38 Special cartridge fired through the Model 14. The Model 14 looks new-in-the-box while the Model 17 looks...well loved.

Don't ever sell a gun you like unless you REALLY have to (like your house is going to be foreclosed on or your kid needs surgery). You'll just regret it later.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Again keep the mustang..you will regret it if you dont. Also buffalo bore makes some 380 ammo that hits pretty darn hard. So dont let the 380 aint big enuff convince you to trade off that colt.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I'm good in the .22LR guns. I am a firm believer in keeping some of them around.

Thanx for the advice on the mustang...its sinking in good and sticking..... the colt stays put.

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

DONT DO IT!
    keep that mustang!
    save up and wait a little longer if you need to

VIP Member
    Don't sell the Mustang.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    +1 on idiot trades/sales. I had a Beretta 84 .380 double stack I bought in the mid-80's for cheap (now selling in the mid $500's). Fired the daylights out of it and got darn good with it - rapid fire @ 15 yards in a softball-sized group with 8 empty casings in the air at one time. Sold it 'cuz I didn't think it was "enough." A guy in my squad used a .380 less than 2 weeks later to drop a BG with two shots. Homer Simpson comes to mind now......DOH!!!!!!!!!!

Keep your Mustang, make sure you have at least 2 magazines for it and go for the .45
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links