G36 or SW 340 - Page 2

G36 or SW 340

This is a discussion on G36 or SW 340 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have both the Glock 36 and S&W 360 (Same as 340). I don't think the 360 can hold up to a lot of full ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G36 or SW 340

I have both the Glock 36 and S&W 360 (Same as 340). I don't think the 360 can hold up to a lot of full power .357's.
    I had to send mine back because it basicly beat itself to death.
    They did replace most of the gun and paid shipping. Fast service too.
    The 36 also had to go back once because of jambs. It's good to go now.
    Oscar

Administrator

Question That's A New One On Me Also

Quote Originally Posted by PAExplorer View Post
    go with the S&W 340 if you want to hit what you're shooting at!
    The Glock 36 is quite an accurate firearm. It has the same inherent accuracy of the other Glock firearms.
    The member comment has me confused.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

The Glock 36 is quite an accurate firearm. It has the same inherent accuracy of the other Glock firearms.
    The member comment has me confused.
    Maybe I got a dud, twice! I shoot very well with all of my other firearms, but the the two glock 36s I had were very poor in the accuracy dept. It was not user error either because I had a few guys at the range try it out too and they had the same lack of accuracy.
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Another vote for the Glock 36 - I love mine, and it's at least as accurate as my Ruger P85. It's not as easy to conceal and carry as the S&W 340, so you do need to factor that in.

The best solution would be to get one of each.

Glock. Read up on internal lock failures for SW revos before you trust your life to one. If you do go with the 340, take it to a competent gunsmith and remove the lock if you don't think you're up to it. It just isn't worth the risk. I say this as an owner of a 642 which is another of the models that has proven to malfunction due to it's light weight and heavy recoil with full power loads.

The Glock gets the nod for capacity. This "If 5 won't do it, you're screwed" crap is idiotic. 2-3 armed attackers agains a 5 shot snubby aren't numbers I like.

Good luck with the decision. Be safe and shoot straight.

The Glock 36 is a better IWB/OWB gun, where the S&W 340PD is a much better pocket gun.

Get the one that fits your mode of carry.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I own the 340 and I am very happy with it. I think the .357 pain is highly exaggerated. It is not that different than the .38 +p. I wouldn't want to put 50 rounds through it at one time but I think the fun of practicing with .357 is the challenge!

I also think the intercal lock debate is blown out of proportion. No one can provide credible statistics about how often it fails only a few anecdotal stories. Compare that with the FTFs and other malfunctions of other guns with more complicated systems. I don't like the internal lock but I don't think its presence is significant. I would not have it removed for fear of violating the structural integrity of the gun.

The 340 is extraordinarily easy to conceal either IWB or pocket. It is so light you sometimes gave to check to make sure you didn't forget it! Thumbs up for the 340.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Since I carry a 340, I guess I'll have to vote for the revolver.

Glock 36 without question.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

If your looking for something to carry everyday that you don't have to change your form of dress or wear a cover garnment for, go with the 340pd. Its my always carry. I have IWB/OWB/Ankle/shoulder/pocket holsters for my J-frame. It has unlimited concealabilty options and packs a .357 punch. The only reason to pick the glock over it would be its capacity. They are both very reliable and accurate. And both make great ccw's. But the J-frame just disappears and is so comfortable to carry. But I do throw a bobcat in my pocket when I carry the 340pd, just b/c of its low capacity.

RF, PM sent. -PAX
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

For Duty Weapons and "bottomfeeder" carry I like most Glocks, but overall I prefer the roundgun.

I've waited on replying to this thread, just to see what others had to say. I love the .357 Magnum cartridge, in the appropriate gun. To me, a small 5 shot ultra-lightweight is not the appropriate gun. I find one handed accuracy to be a fallacy with a lightweight gun in .357 Magnum.

Most people end up loading 38 Specials in their "snubbie" .357 Magnums. If you are going to do that I say, save your money and get a 442/642. The "appropriate" gun to me, in .357 Magnum has at least a 3" Barrel and is made of steel, but that's just me.

The one Glock I do not like is the Glock 36. The one I had was a true "jamamatic". It reminded me of my S&W 38 Wadcutter Target Pistol. To each their own, but I would select a load and test it in the roundgun before buying one. You may find that it's more than a handfull.

Biker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links