G36 or SW 340

This is a discussion on G36 or SW 340 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Considering a Glock 36 compared to a SW 340 any thoughts about size, concealability etc ?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G36 or SW 340

rf [OP]

G36 or SW 340

Considering a Glock 36 compared to a SW 340 any thoughts about size, concealability etc ?

2. Remove Ads

go with the S&W 340 if you want to hit what you're shooting at!
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by PAExplorer View Post
    go with the S&W 340 if you want to hit what you're shooting at!
    Hum, first time I have heard that before. I'd go Glock 36. on't know what to tell ya about concealability but I am sure the 340 would easily win that one but to me that is not what is most important in a ccw. It matters but not as much as others.

Quote Originally Posted by LVLabs View Post
    Hum, first time I have heard that before. I'd go Glock 36.

+1 on that. The glock is very accurate and reliable.

HKR
    Two very different weapons. What are you looking for in a carry weapon? Both will do good work as long as you do good work with them. Personally I would go with the Glock. Small, reliable, big bullet.Get one now and the other later.Damn, I just realized that I'm not really much help at all.Sorry.

I own a glock 36, the second one as a matter of fact and outside of seven yards, it is a very innacurate pistol without lots of practice in my opinion. It is quite concealable, but I would take the revo for concealability and trigger pull. Plus, it's only 2 more rounds and if you can't get it done with 5 rounds, 7 probably wont make a difference. Also, practice ammo in 45ACP is more pricey. I find that a small revo with boot grips is the easiest waepon to conceal. My 2 cents.
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Go with the Glock. Warning: I'm kinda biased that way.

Another Glock-36 vote here. I have one...love it. As easy to conceal as my Kimber Ultra...and just as accurate.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was supprised to find I am more accurate with the G36 than I am with G19. Go figure.

This is a "what do YOU want to do" question. Depending on where you live, what you where, etc.

I've got both, plus a Glock 30. I like the Glocks, they shoot extremely well and are low maintenance. However, if I'm running out to the store, I ALWAYS seem to grab my 340 and a Bianchi Speed Strip and I'm GTG. My 340 has CT grips and I'm telling you, I just love it!!

It depends on whether you value ease of concealing and light weight over firepower and shooting comfort. I'll take 7 rounds of .45 over 5 rounds of .357 out of a 2" barrel any day of the week.

The 340 will be brutal to shoot with .357 rounds. Of course, you will probably not notice recoil if you ever have to use it in an emergency, but you really should practice with what you carry. And practice with the 340 is no fun. Even with .38's. I shot a friend of mine's scandium .357 once. Ouch!

.357 magnum just isn't much more than a fast 9mm out of a 2" barrel. The legendary .357 stopper was a 125 grain JHP at 1450 fps out of a 4" barrel. You won't get close to that out of a 2" barrel, and the flash and noise will be something to write home about!

I'd go with the Glock 36, unless it's for pocket carry, then I'd go with an Airweight (not scandium) .38 with +P ammo. I guess you could pocket a Glock 36 with the right pants, but due to its thin profile, it would hide very well under a light shirt with a good holster.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I've being carrying a G36 for almost a year now and love the thing. No problems with accuracy and with the right holster concealable for me under a t-shirt. You do have to practice but thats just part of it no matter what you got. And I buy my Blazer Brass for $10 a box at Wal-mart.

Distinguished Member
    I have a 340 m&p its a great pistol , very accurate for a 1 7/8" barrel . It has become my favorite carry gun , its so light you don't even know you have it on . I am waiting for 2 holsters for it now , from Black Hills Leather .

The 340 is a great gun. However, with .357 I have heard it is painful. The G36 would not be as punishing. The trend seems to be reliability and other various issues with this particular model. As far as versatile concealment options I would fo with the 340.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I have the 360 Sc, similiar in size and weight to the 340. Its a great carry piece, an always gun. Its so light and small it goes anywhere.

I've shot 5 rounds of .357 thru it. Mamma! I quit that, it hurts too darn much. Shot light 38's for pactice and carry 38+p. Its a good choice, but does take some practice. I've put about 600 rounds thru it and can just now shoot 5" groups at 20+ feet with it. Your experience will no doubt vary.

Can't speak to the Glock. Go with the one that feels best in the hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links