1911s - Looking for some intel.

This is a discussion on 1911s - Looking for some intel. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Springfield Loaded Champion and it has been flawless since day one... go with the Springer!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911s - Looking for some intel.

VIP Member
    I have a Springfield Loaded Champion and it has been flawless since day one... go with the Springer!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

I can't recommend a Colt. My 1918 vintage 1911 slung off it's front sight last year. I've owned it 30 years this year and have only fired thousands of rounds through it without a single mechanical failure until this. If that sight had been on there 89 years it should a' stayed put. Here's a photo of it in it's shame beside a Gold Cup.
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...y/DSCF0416.jpg

For some reason this computer won't properly post a photo. I'm gonna send it to OD as well.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; January 10th, 2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Add photograph

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I can't recommend a Colt. My 1918 vintage 1911 slung off it's front sight last year. I've owned it 30 years this year I've only fired thousands of rounds through it with out a single mechanical failure until this. If that sight had been on there 89 years it shoulda stayed put.
    Geez! Y'all oughta send that piece of junk to me.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    If you can find a used Colt CCO (Commander slide mated to an alloy Officers Model frame), they were among the most easily concealed 1911s. I have no idea if you could find one in that price range, however; but they retailed in the late 90s for $540.

First off, thanks for everyone's replies and suggestions.

Unfortunately, I really can't afford that couple hundred more right now. Wish I could, but my income isn't very flexible at the moment. At any rate, it looks to me like Springfield is the best bet; that'll be the brand I focus on, at this point. Their mil-spec and GI models are the most frequently recommended to me for my purposes, so those are the two I'll look most closely at.

This weekend I'll check around town and see if I can find a commander-sized 1911 and a government-sized 1911 so I can get a good comparison.

A couple questions, though. Does that 1" effect how concealable the weapon is? Is steel or alloy preferable, especially regarding handling and firing control?

-B

Thanks to Chooie for posting his AMERICAN 1911 on the AMERICAN flag!
    Go cheap, go overseas, shop WalMart.

The lighter guns are more pleasant to carry. A shorter barrel means quicker draw speed.

If you carry it OWB, your holster might show with a GM. A commander won't show. The main issues with concealability are grip length and weapon thickness. Hopefully the store may let you try on some holsters with the gun to get a feel for it and test out what works best.

As far as weight again, steel is denser so it absorbs recoil more. Aluminum is less dense so you will feel more recoil. I carry a 28oz Kimber aluminum frame 4" 1911 chambered in the 10mm Auto and have thousands of very heavy loads in it and it is a pleasure to shoot. The only time you will notice the weight is an improper carry rig selection or after very long days (16hrs carrying or more).

I have two Kimbers that have been flawless...the Ultra CDP II and the Pro CDP II...

For your needs, you may consider the Compact CDP II which gives one the longer barrel of the Pro and the shorter grip of the Ultra...concealment would be easy.

Ya' gotta' go touch one...

Stay armed...with something...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry a Colt CCO... Love it! It's not available new anymore, and they sell for almost twice the original MSRP.

Colt does have the "New Agent" now, which is their newest gun designed specifically for Conceal Carry.

For whatever reason, I can't find it on the Colt website, but here's another site that has good info on it:

The M-1911 Pistols Organization E-zine

MSRP is $885

BAC, after this talk if it were me and I had a $500 limit, I think I would have to go with Taurus PT-1911. I have seen them for around the $500 mark, and you get more that a base pistol. It comes with a beaver tail grip safety with the bump pad, and a good set of sights instead of the thin GI type. They are a good solid steel frame and will hold up. They are new out and do not have a lot of press out on them yet. But I do not believe you will go wrong with all the bang for the buck you are getting.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    A couple questions, though. Does that 1" effect how concealable the weapon is? Is steel or alloy preferable, especially regarding handling and firing control?

-B
    Some people say it does make a bit of difference, but I have never had a problem concealing my 5" 1911. I also like the feel and balance of the longer gun, but maybe you can find a range that has rental guns where you can try each and figure out which is right for you. For a milspec in your price range I would go with the Springfield or see if I could find a good used Colt. You would probably be satisfied with either. The 1911 offers a lot of options when later down the line you want to start adding new things. They're also easier to sneak by wives than new guns....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

The Taurus 1911 mentioned by JAG45 is another option. I bought one for $480 out the door about a year ago. I bought it for an entry level 1911 for my son. Both of us have shot the crap out of it with mixed ammo, from 255gr LSWCs, to Gold Dots with zero issues. It was a **** of a deal on a "Loaded" 1911 for the money! Still to heavy for me to conceal carry comfortably, but a great shooter. I thought enough of it to change the grips-----.
    str1

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Thanks to Chooie for posting his AMERICAN 1911 on the AMERICAN flag!
    Go cheap, go overseas, shop WalMart.
    I only wish it were mine! No, I'm not to the point of buying another handgun just yet, but if I were, it would be either another XD or that Dan Wesson.

I love my Taurus 1911

My best friend just bought a stainless Taurus 1911 and had enough money left over in his 1911 budget to pay for his Lifetime Membership in the NRA!!

IIRC he paid $599

I second the Taurus. I love mine. I think it is the best bargain in a 1911.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links