1911s - Looking for some intel.

This is a discussion on 1911s - Looking for some intel. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; + Another vote for the Taurus. It was my first thought you said your budget was $600. I don't have one, it just seemed to ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1911s - Looking for some intel.

+ Another vote for the Taurus. It was my first thought you said your budget was $600. I don't have one, it just seemed to fit what you wanted. FWIW there's one at BudsGunShop.com for $504 delivered. After the transfer fee and a couple extra mags, you'll be broke.

Austin

2. Remove Ads

If you're stuck on either a Springer GI or Mil Spec, go with the Mil Spec. It's already got a couple of options that you'll want to do anyway.

BUT...once the 1911 bug gets it's teeth into you, you're going to look at things like a beavertail grip safety with a bump of some kind, which I now consider nearly necessary. Also, 25 lpi frontstrap checkering which helps more than you can imagine until you try it. Then you may want to look at night sights, or at least different, more user friendly and comfortable sights than what come on the gun. Then once you discover how much a bobtail mainspring housing aids in concealment (and some say shooting comfort), you may want to add one of those. A decent de-horning job never hurts either. Of course, once you do basically any of the above, you're going to have to re-finish the gun. Even a gentle de-horning will require a new finish.

So cut to the chase and get a Dan Wesson CBOB.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I'm with Thumper. Either the full size Mil Spec or Champion will serve you well. Partial more to the Champion these days. Trust mine and highly recommend Springers.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Zee
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post

"But there's always a caveat: it has to be boringly reliable as well as durable, and it has to be the 4" or 5" variety" "I want to know I can rely on it."

I'm really trying not to break the bank here (my target is for $600 or less); I'm still working my way through college.

Thanks in advance.

-B
    Well, I hate to be the lone dissenter, but if 600 bucks is the ceiling you may be better off with a Springfield XD, or perhaps the S&W M&P.

Also, if you are already used to handling a Glock, the M&P can be had without the magazine disconnect or a slide safety (just like a Glock) and with it's interchangeable backstrap inserts, more ergonomic than a Glock.

Either of those will be boringly reliable and within the budget. They have everything you need, right out of the box.

Later when the budget is bigger, a 1911 with some more goodies could be added.

My .02 cents.

My youngest son just came home from the Dallas Market Hall gun show with a brand new Rock Island 1911 for $365. It's great! This is the second one of these I've seen and they are quite nice. One of these Rock Island 1911's would make a great carrying and shooting .45 as is. If one wanted to tweak it later I suppose he could but, outside of possibly adding a beaver-tail grip safety or some especially prefered sights, it's fine as is.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    My RIA needed minor tweaking. I replaced the recoil spring with a heavier one, gently buffed the ramp and bobbed the hammer. That's it! It eats anything and is very accurate. Someday I will buy another 1911 with more bells & whistles. For now, I am content and good with my RIA.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Springfield Mil spec will get you into the game. Customize after you shoot it awhile. Be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Well, I hate to be the lone dissenter, but if 600 bucks is the ceiling you may be better off with a Springfield XD, or perhaps the S&W M&P.

Also, if you are already used to handling a Glock, the M&P can be had without the magazine disconnect or a slide safety (just like a Glock) and with it's interchangeable backstrap inserts, more ergonomic than a Glock.
    Believe me, if I wasn't so willing to branch out I'd have just bought a G19 and been happy. But I wanted to look at a 1911, specifically, not a handgun in general. Picky picky, I know.

As an update, got a great price for a Springer Mil Spec that's only had a few rounds through it ($400 with Pachmayr grips, which is comparable to what it was a decade ago and over $200 less than the average going rate nowadays). A good fellow in Ohio is taking right care of me with this one. Now I just need to find someone to transfer it.

-B

A Springer Mil-Spec. Add the goodies as you can afford them.

AFAIK, all the mil spec and GI models have the small sights and small safety. I would go for the Springfield "Loaded" or the upgraded Rock Island if you decide on a full sized gun. They have better sights and safety.

During the summer, I often carry a Kimber Compact (4"). It's an old one from Kimber's early days and has been a very good gun. In colder weather, I carry a Sig P220. The larger grip is a bit harder to conceal.

Ken

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links