Lowdown on Rohrbaugh R9

This is a discussion on Lowdown on Rohrbaugh R9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think for now I will stay away from the R9. I understand the spring may be the culprit, but 150 rounds per spring is ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Lowdown on Rohrbaugh R9

I think for now I will stay away from the R9. I understand the spring may be the culprit, but 150 rounds per spring is a real problem with me.
    If I am going to bet my life on it, I don't want to hope the spring is not ready to go into the after life, and a single shot derringer is not the intent of a clip fed pistol.

2. Remove Ads

Golfer,

I understand and respect that. The spring has been the subject of intense R&D with Rohrbaugh and Wolff. Its the best spring they can make, but it takes a POUNDING in this little gun.

Just for the sake of comparision, does anyone have a Seecamp? Great little guns. The LWS .380 manual says to change the recoil spring every 300 rounds. That slide assembly is subjected to far less punishment than the R-9 in 9mm. Seecamp will also tell you the gun requires no break-in, and that shooting it more won't make it work any better. The manual says shoot 43 and load the last 7 and from a 50 round box and you will be better off than shooting 200 rounds to "make sure it works."

My point is that small pocket pistols are what they are. The laws of physics and the properties of metal and springs are the same for everybody. All pistols are a tradeoff -- you pick the characteristics that are most important to you. But, don't be too quick to criticise others who may have different desired parameters for their carry guns.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

So maybe some would prefer a slightly larger gun and have it be more reliable and durable? I myself find the comments about the Guardians being a brick in your pocket real funny, when the same members are posting in the revolver section how the weight from a Good N frame really helps tame the 44 mag!!! The extra size and weight of the Guardian to me is a huge positive, especially when firing SD ammo, the extra weight and size help to tame the recoil and give me a little more to hold onto. In a pocket gun there is such a thing as to much gun in to small of a package and to me the R9 is skating on the edge. It simply isn't a gun for me at any price. If you enjoy yours and feel comfortable carrying it that's great, I hope it always serves you well and that you never have to use it in a SD situation, but that is my wish to all members with all guns.
    Good Day
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    So maybe some would prefer a slightly larger gun and have it be more reliable and durable?
    Not sure I agree with "more reliable." My 2 R-9s have been fully reliable. I am sure some people may want to shoot their guns more and change the springs less, so the R-9 is not for them. But, its a sliding scale. A slightly larger gun will be slightly better. A PM-9 isn't necessarily a great target gun either. But a Glock 19 is good, and a Glock 17 is better.

Or, you can "downgrade" to a smaller caliber and avoid problems. I am willing to bet that the Rohrbaugh R-380, which is built on the 9mm frame, will operate will all the reliability and durability of any similar gun, just with a much better trigger. ;) Its all about the tradeoffs.
    DDGator (Duane)

WOW, Interesting "perspective"

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    My guess is that the vast majority of people who own a J frame S&W, a Kal-Tec, or other small, lightweight handgun of respectable caliber never put a hundred rounds through the gun. So I can understand Rohrbaugh making the assumption that their guns would see light duty. But that doesn't mean that I agree with the premise. (The gun won't be shot a lot, so it doesn't have to take a lot.)

Personally, I would want to put a couple hundred rounds through any semi-auto pistol just to assure myself that it is sufficiently dependable to be a "carry" gun.

While I have no experience with the Rohrbaugh, I have noted that the company does advise that +P ammo is not to be used in the gun. That gave me cause to pause because the pressure difference in a standard and a +P round is rather small.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not likely to ever own a Rohrbaugh regardless, but your caveat is good information to be aware of.

I don't understand anything at all for a 1000 dollar weapon being useless as breaking down after a hundred rounds or so. That's freaking INSANE. After taking a closer look at these weapons, what's the point. a 200-300 dollar kel-tec is just as reliable and it works after 500 rounds. What drug do you have smoke, snort or ingest that would leave a person stupid enough to literally BLOW on a hunk of junk????

I just don't understand the discussion at all. A thousand dollar hunk of CRAP vs. a 200 dollar excellent operating machine ... where's the "struggle" in making a choice. There are LOADS of small pocket weapons that you can shoot a thousand rounds through without problem. They probably shoot better, are more accurate, better hand feel. A better clip release instead of having it on the bottom to where it takes a lot longer ot reload with a newer clip.
    If I'm going to buy a Mercedes, it's because the Mercedes is RELIABLE and it works and its luxurious. I see absolutely NOTHING special about this pathetic flimsy weapon that breaks after a few shots. You can't even practice with the thing for fear that you may wear it out in case you need it for an emergency.

After 2 post your blooter mentality is amazing.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I have been seriously considering buying an R9......but no way, not now. So I go buy an over-priced shovel, dig ten holes and it breaks, and the manufacturerer tells me it's only good for three holes and I should only keep the shovel around for when I really need a hole dug? I don't think so, there are too many other shovels that I can buy

Same here. I've been eyeballing the site for some time now... Now though, I'll move on to the next one on my list; the Kahr MK9.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I havn't seen one come into the store yet, but if and when one does, you can be sure I'll sign it out in order to put it thru it's paces. I know a few Customers who own the R9, and they do shoot them, but on a limited basis. They tel me it's a carry gun, and not a range gun. I tend to agree with their train of thought, but to have the gun at that price go down for repair at such a short time, is a bit rediculus. Whether it's 200 buck, or a 2000 buck gun, it should work right, especially if it's gonna be used to save your life.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Well, this sort of report does cast a positive light on the Ruger LC9, which is a personal defense weapon, 7+1, rated to handle +P (occasionally), and a tack driver at the range all day long. Reliability is a huge factor when evaluating a carry weapon.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I guess I am confused... Do people read the whole thread before they comment? And for what reason do you resurrect a 4 year old post as your first post on a forum?

If the R-9 or the price is not for you, it's not for you. But piece of junk? Not hardly. I honestly don't know how people can have such strong opinions about a product with which they have no personal experience.
    DDGator (Duane)

Wow! I see whatcha mean.... I usually read the original post and a few others, by then I'll post my thoughts if I have something to add, but I don't check the dates, or necessarily read every post as a general rule. In some cases the date is kinda no big deal, but for threads such as this one where obvious advancements have been made since the OP. I can see where it could cause some confusion. Point taken....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by N-frame Smith View Post
    Well, I got a big surprise today. I work at a gun shop and we sell the Rohrbaugh R9 pistols. They're very small and slick pocket pistols and very expensive too. Last week 2 different customers brought back their R9's for repair. One had just bought it the day before and the trigger wasn't working, and the other one had had the gun for a while and had shot it quite a bit and was having the same problem with the trigger. They wanted the guns sent back to the factory for repair, which we were glad to do, but we were surprised as they were the first ones we've had come back.

The factory was closed until this week, so we shipped the guns off on Monday, but apparently the owner of the gun who'd had it for a while also called the factory Monday to talk to them about his problem. He told us that he had mentioned to whoever he spoke to at the factory that he had fired 150 rounds through the gun when it stopped working and was told that the gun shouldn't be fired that much as it was meant to be a carry gun and not a regular shooting gun!

To be honest, we assumed that the guy either misunderstood what he was told or outright made it up. It didn't make any sense that a gun that finely made and expensive wasn't made to be shot a lot. Except that today the head of Rohrbaugh, Karl Rohrbaugh, called us about the guns we had sent and during the course of the discussion he confirmed that the gun was not intended to be shot a lot and that 150 rounds was too much. He said that every few months he shoots a magazine full through his gun, cleans and reloads it, then puts it back in his pocket. Of course, he's going to fix the guns and send them back to us, but that still doesn't explain the crazy limitation on shooting.

I certainly don't mean to offend anyone who has or likes the guns, nor am I saying that it's a bad gun, but I thought this information should be shared since nowhere on the company's website does it say anything about this important restriction. Also, I have to admit that I have not read the gun's manual and don't know if this matter is mentioned there, but even if it is it's very likely that a buyer would not see it until after purchasing the gun. I have to say that I'm very surprised and disappointed by the whole matter and I just wanted to pass on the information to anyone interested.
    thanks, I am due to get a lump sum of $$ here soon(about $15-20,000) and was thinking of paying off all my bills, buying a few toys and using the rest for well a vacation and savings account....the 2 things I wanted to get was a rifle of some type(M1 maybe) and a Pistol...and id been looking at 1911's, HKP7's, and yes a small pocket pistol and id been thinking a 9mm is better than a .380 and one of the smallest 9mm is just this gun being discussed...and was #1 on the list to find, look at, and probably get...till I read this thread when it came totally OFF the list..if thats really what they think that guy that makes them and the company as a whole is full of ****! Even my SMALL carry guns Id run at least 100 rounds through that have to be flawless B4 I will carry it and TRUST THAT IT WILL SHOOT THE AMMO I HAVE CHOSEN! so just breaking it in, making sure it works and can be trusted with 2 boxes of ammo pretty much "violates" their premise of shooting it ...Lame gun, Lame Company if this OP statement is right and they said that....since I had this $$ basically "free" it was not one of those money is a big object things...id have gotten it anyways for its unparalled 9mm SIZE AND WEIGHT..but at a minimum id run 25 rounds through it at the range each trip...Thanks for the info..now I know to stay away....and keep looking for a small TRULY pocketable 9mm(which ive not found yet).

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
    They are not the easiest guns to get. A while back, my local shop here in upstate NY had one for $900. I've only seen one other at a gun show. The R9 was eventually bought by someone who had numerous issues with it and wound up returning it to the shop. The shop owner, a buddy of mine, told me he got the same talk from Mr. Rohrbaugh as described above. Shipped the gun back to him and waited a considerable time for repair. Upon getting the gun back, the gun had the same issues. Once again, was basically told to just carry the gun & not shoot it. Needless to say, the shop owner says he will never carry another Rohrbaugh again. This is the abbreviated account.
    I just dont get how this guy that makes them(his company) thinks people will trust the gun as reliable if they dont actually shoot it with their selected carry ammo with a decent amount first...id NEVER EVER(but I know people do) trust a gun that I was just handed/bought new out of the box and they said just shoot a mag through it and then trust your life to it...what...im supposed to take it on this guys(the makers) good word that it wont jam up if ive only ran a mag or 2 through it EVER???...ummmh no thanks.

BTW any suggestions on anything else thats actually TRULY small enough to be considered pockatable in 9mm that will "work" with some actual light shooting at the range on occasion??? I just cant get in my head that I want a .380 over a 9mm...I was thinking the PF9/lc9 at a decent price but is that really pocket carry type ??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links