Lowdown on Rohrbaugh R9

Lowdown on Rohrbaugh R9

This is a discussion on Lowdown on Rohrbaugh R9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I got a big surprise today. I work at a gun shop and we sell the Rohrbaugh R9 pistols. They're very small and slick ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Lowdown on Rohrbaugh R9

Lowdown on Rohrbaugh R9

Well, I got a big surprise today. I work at a gun shop and we sell the Rohrbaugh R9 pistols. They're very small and slick pocket pistols and very expensive too. Last week 2 different customers brought back their R9's for repair. One had just bought it the day before and the trigger wasn't working, and the other one had had the gun for a while and had shot it quite a bit and was having the same problem with the trigger. They wanted the guns sent back to the factory for repair, which we were glad to do, but we were surprised as they were the first ones we've had come back.

The factory was closed until this week, so we shipped the guns off on Monday, but apparently the owner of the gun who'd had it for a while also called the factory Monday to talk to them about his problem. He told us that he had mentioned to whoever he spoke to at the factory that he had fired 150 rounds through the gun when it stopped working and was told that the gun shouldn't be fired that much as it was meant to be a carry gun and not a regular shooting gun!

To be honest, we assumed that the guy either misunderstood what he was told or outright made it up. It didn't make any sense that a gun that finely made and expensive wasn't made to be shot a lot. Except that today the head of Rohrbaugh, Karl Rohrbaugh, called us about the guns we had sent and during the course of the discussion he confirmed that the gun was not intended to be shot a lot and that 150 rounds was too much. He said that every few months he shoots a magazine full through his gun, cleans and reloads it, then puts it back in his pocket. Of course, he's going to fix the guns and send them back to us, but that still doesn't explain the crazy limitation on shooting.

I certainly don't mean to offend anyone who has or likes the guns, nor am I saying that it's a bad gun, but I thought this information should be shared since nowhere on the company's website does it say anything about this important restriction. Also, I have to admit that I have not read the gun's manual and don't know if this matter is mentioned there, but even if it is it's very likely that a buyer would not see it until after purchasing the gun. I have to say that I'm very surprised and disappointed by the whole matter and I just wanted to pass on the information to anyone interested.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Well, I'm glad you posted this info. I had considered the R9 until I saw the price tag. I am stunned that anyone would produce an expensive pistol designed for concealed carry that you can't practice with. I was furious when my Kahr PM40 kept breaking magazines and got rid of it.

My guess is that the vast majority of people who own a J frame S&W, a Kal-Tec, or other small, lightweight handgun of respectable caliber never put a hundred rounds through the gun. So I can understand Rohrbaugh making the assumption that their guns would see light duty. But that doesn't mean that I agree with the premise. (The gun won't be shot a lot, so it doesn't have to take a lot.)

Personally, I would want to put a couple hundred rounds through any semi-auto pistol just to assure myself that it is sufficiently dependable to be a "carry" gun.

While I have no experience with the Rohrbaugh, I have noted that the company does advise that +P ammo is not to be used in the gun. That gave me cause to pause because the pressure difference in a standard and a +P round is rather small.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not likely to ever own a Rohrbaugh regardless, but your caveat is good information to be aware of.

Well darn, and there I was thinking about it for my next purchase. Not now!

They are not the easiest guns to get. A while back, my local shop here in upstate NY had one for $900. I've only seen one other at a gun show. The R9 was eventually bought by someone who had numerous issues with it and wound up returning it to the shop. The shop owner, a buddy of mine, told me he got the same talk from Mr. Rohrbaugh as described above. Shipped the gun back to him and waited a considerable time for repair. Upon getting the gun back, the gun had the same issues. Once again, was basically told to just carry the gun & not shoot it. Needless to say, the shop owner says he will never carry another Rohrbaugh again. This is the abbreviated account.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

I have an R9S and love it. I've only put about 100 rounds through it so far, but I've had no problems at all. Per the factory, the guide rod spring should be changed at 100 rounds, but that's the only specified maintenance outside of regular cleaning.

I was shopping for an NAA Guardian when I bought the Rohrbaugh. It's small, carries 7 rounds of 9mm and has the best trigger feel of any gun I've ever shot. The gun also has a lifetime warranty to the original owner.

I'll put some more rounds through this weekend and advise if I have any problems.

Sounds like they are making guns for show rather than to actually be used. I could see 15,000 rounds being a lot or possibly 1,500 but 150 being excessive is unreasonable. Safe Queen?

VIP Member
    Wow... 150 rounds is an incredibly low number to be called "a lot," by anyone's standards... And replacing springs every hundred rounds seems a bit much, as well. I realize that the R9 is the bleeding edge of miniature autos in 9mm, but still...

I put 200 rounds through my PF9 in the first few days I had it - not pleasant, but absolutely no issues what so ever (and still none, with a few hundred more through it). Yes, the R9 is a bit smaller and has a better trigger, but what good is a gun you can't train with AT ALL?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have heard of this same complaint a lot lately and the company needs to make some serious changes if they are going to compete with Seecamp and NAA. When I was looking for a small pocket gun I looked at the R9, but the part about replacing springs every 100 rounds was a total joke!! Why not use quality parts. I believe the only thing that has kept them in business is there is no other gun in it's class in 9mm, but when stories like these get out it sure doesn't help sales. I chose the NAA Guardian in 32 and 380 over the R9 and Seecamp, the R9 was ruled out for the spring issue and the Seecamp for being ammo sensitive and no finger extension. I have two of the Guardians for less than a Seecamp in 380 and they both have been 100% reliable with every ammo I have fed them. The extra size and weight really help control full house SD rounds and is not a negative the way others claim it is.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

It's common sense that pocket guns shouldn't be pressed into service as a range gun. The small mechanisms are delicate due to the fact that they are small mechanisms. I believe Kel Tec states on their web site that the expected service life of the .380s is about 6k rds. I have a couple of those, and mine will never make that round count in my life time. How much pratice is required to maintain a proficency level sufficent to hit a man size target at inside 5yds? I put 100rds thru mine with my carry ammo of choice, and call it good if I have zero malfunctions. From that point on, I shoot about a mag a month, clean it, and put it back in my pocket. On the other hand, I would like to think that any pistol I paid $1k or so for would last longer than 150 rds!! They appear to be well made little pistols, and have a lifetime guarantee. Surely 100-150rds service life is not typical!!
    str1

VIP Member
    I have been seriously considering buying an R9......but no way, not now. So I go buy an over-priced shovel, dig ten holes and it breaks, and the manufacturerer tells me it's only good for three holes and I should only keep the shovel around for when I really need a hole dug? I don't think so, there are too many other shovels that I can buy
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I think there may be a misconception here. I don't think that 150 rounds is the expected life of the gun. I think what was being said is that 150 rounds in a session might be excessive.
    I have a R9s and have shot 1000+ rounds through it with ZERO malfunctions. I have replaced my recoil spring once, with the extra spring provided with the gun, upon reaching 600 rounds or so. I'm not sure if I ever shot 100+ rounds in one session, just thinking of shooting that much is hurting my hand. I guess I fall into the normal use category in that I shoot a mag or two full every so often, clean it, then put it back in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocnerd View Post
    I think there may be a misconception here. I don't think that 150 rounds is the expected life of the gun. I think what was being said is that 150 rounds in a session might be excessive...
    It's very possible that's what was meant, under the assumption that anyone who shoots it that much at one time will probably always shoot it a lot, and the gun is not meant for that. Since the company offers a lifetime warranty I'm sure they expect the guns to last a long time if used sparingly, as intended.

Nontheless, there's no mistaking the intent. The point made in both conversations, with us and the owner of the gun, is that "you shoot a mag or two to test it, then carry it". I'm glad the gun works good for you, as apparently it does for our other customers who have them.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

I have read that because of the tight tolerances, small parts, and caliber the gun should not be shot so much in one range session that the gun gets too hot. I am really considering getting a R380 Elite when I have the spare scratch.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    My guess is that the vast majority of people who own a J frame S&W, a Kal-Tec, or other small, lightweight handgun of respectable caliber never put a hundred rounds through the gun. So I can understand Rohrbaugh making the assumption that their guns would see light duty.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not likely to ever own a Rohrbaugh regardless, but your caveat is good information to be aware of.
    I have a Kelteck 380 and a 38 S&W 642, I'll put 50 to 100 rounds through them evertime I go to the range. I realize you said most people, but 150 rounds for the life of a gun is a joke.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links