"Trigger reach" especially important for women

This is a discussion on "Trigger reach" especially important for women within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have noticed a lot of queries on the forums relating to women and handguns lately. A common question is - which gun(s) may fit ...

Thread: "Trigger reach" especially important for women

I have noticed a lot of queries on the forums relating to women and handguns lately.
    A common question is - which gun(s) may fit small and delicate hands well?

I believe there are a few specifications that help determine the fit for women's hands:
    1. Overall perimeter of the grip
    2. Grip width
    3. Grip depth
    4. Often ignored, but very important - "reach" or trigger to backstrap distance.

The latter may be the MOST important for short fingered women, because even if the grip feels good, if the reach is too long (or too short) trigger control will suffer, and as result so will accuracy and comfort.

A good example of this…
    All "pocket carry" guns fall into "small" category for (1.) through (3.) above, but (4.) is often not considered at all, and even when it is the answer is often very surprising.

For instance:
    The Beretta Tomcat and the AMT Backup have a very long reach, yet the Jiminez and Cobras are very short.
    In fact, at first thought the Tomcat would seem to be a great sized gun for a woman. It is small in size and caliber (and cute), but - big surprise, it has a very long reach, in fact one of longest! [Don't get me wrong here I know many of the ladies can handle and even prefer larger caliber guns, and can outshoot the guys! Just saying overall size and grip size isn't the whole story.]
    And the biggest surprise for me is - the Kahr series (even the .45) is among the shortest!

This is the latest version of my "Pocket Gun" chart in which I have added a blue line that indicates a 2.25" reach. Hopefully this will help to graphically portray a good comparison between the guns on the chart.

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf
    http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.jpg

And beyond pocket guns, surprisingly, some of the larger “standard size” guns have a shorter reach than some of the “mouse” and “rat” size guns. The S&W M&P9 Compact with the small grip insert is a good example.

Just something to consider when gun shopping - especially for women.

As always... just my opinion.
    Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Trigger reach is important - that's for sure.

My wife has average sized hands for a woman, and has no problem reaching the DA pull on her N frame revolver - but my DAK Sig is too far for her to reach comfortably.

Austin

Assistant Administrator
    Thx once more Bob for that amazing effort on the PocketAutoComparison ... it must have been enjoyed by a huge audience.

A lady I was teaching on a protection course had bought, and brought - a new Ladysmith. Not you'd think a large gun at all. But with some hand athritis and small fingers, this was a problem for her - the kept rotating hand to right on grips to get trigger use - result? Shooting left - badly.

Surprisingly, she did much better with a G17 but then half the problem with the Ladysmith on DA was the poundage needed. Reach is certainly a major issue (of many) for ladies when hand might be real small.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sponsored Links