I want a .45 --- they're so pretty ! ! !

This is a discussion on I want a .45 --- they're so pretty ! ! ! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me start by saying I am a 9mm guy. My first gun was a SA XD 9mm with a four inch barrel. I've fired ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want a .45 --- they're so pretty ! ! !

I want a .45 --- they're so pretty ! ! !

Let me start by saying I am a 9mm guy. My first gun was a SA XD 9mm with a four inch barrel. I've fired that extensively with no problem (its only a 9mm, after all ). I've also fired a Bersa .380 and a S&W Model 10 2" with some of the hotter +P loads. I am approximately 6 foot tall 185 ilbs, and have only really dealed with these smaller calibers.

My uncle has a Para-Ord. .45, and although I didnt get to test fire it, I loved the look and feel of this "mans" gun. Its just a beautiful piece of work.

Can someone enlighten me as to how much recoil (perceived or felt) one of these babies has compared to a standard "plastic-fantastic" 9mm. I'll be testing one out at the range sometime, but I just wanted to know now.

Also, which ones can I get for $500-600 bucks that will be worth my while?

Thanks in advance.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Recoil shouldn't be a big issue with a firm grip (not white knuckle). The recoil feels different from a 9mm or a .40. The 9mm & .40 "snaps" whereas the .45 on a 1911 frame feels more like a "thud" as the slide comes to the rear during firing. I shoot my .45 better than a 9mm or a .40. With a lot of practice, you won't notice a whole lot. IMHO, the recoil is less than a .357 or a .38 airweight with hot loads because of the semi-auto operating system absorbing much of the recoil.

Your price range offers some good choices. I own a Rock Island Armory (RIA) 1911 that can be had below $400. It's a bare-bones minimum mil-spec pistol. Springfield makes excellent 1911's in that price range. You can, of course, get a .45 on non-1911 platforms (Glock, Sig, XD, etc.). I can't tell you about how those shoot. I can tell you, however, once you get hooked on a 1911 it's hard to let go!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Jeff,

Look at the Springfield Mil-Spec, nice pistol for the money.

I truly enjoy shooting the .45ACP a bit more than the 9mm, as it is a low pressure round with recoil characteristics usually described as a "push" rather than the snappiness of the 9mm/.40/.357SIG (my favorite of all!).

YMMV.

Lead Moderator
    Unless you get a light, short barreled version you may not notice the difference in perceived recoil. .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JeffLrrp, the Bersa 380 and the S&W Model 10 2" with hot loads tend to kick more than a 45acp in a 1911. Years ago, when I started shooting 1911s, I thought the violence of the slide action was recoil, it took me back but now I barely notice the recoil in a 1911 45acp. The recoil of a 1911 now seems like a gentle push back but a 44 Mag with heavy loads still gets my attention. Regards, Richard

Jeff, check thread started by BAC on 1911 intel. It does have some good stuff and prices.....

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ome-intel.html
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; January 12th, 2008 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Added link.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    You will be fine with the recoil. My 12 year old Grandson is on the small side and can handle 45s without a problem.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

thanks everyone
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

It'll be a bit more than you're used to, but nothing you can't handle if you have a decent grip. I just put about 60 rounds through my .45 tonight, and my 140 lb. self had no trouble with it. Recoil control is more about technique than size (to a point). I can fire a .500 Mag with no trouble, sure it kicks pretty good but it doesn't knock me down or anything. With the really big bores the trick is not to fight it. Just hang on and let the pistol go up and back. Every time I fired the .500 it ended up over my head, but stayed in my hands and didn't hurt my wrist, unlike others I've talked to who tried to hold it down.

I like Colt for 1911s, but Springfield is a great choice as well and closer to your budget. Once in a while you can find a great deal on a good used one, a local gun shop had a like-new Springfield Mil-Spec for $400 two weeks ago. If I weren't so broke it would have been mine. The deals are out there, you just need to look hard. Good luck.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    You should try out the Springfield XD-45 ACP, it's a great gun
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

This is what I would get in 45 ACP.

JeffLrrp, if your heart is set on a 1911A1 look at a Rock Island Arsenal or a used Springfield Mil Spec. Lastly, see if you can locate a used but not abused Norinco 1911A1. The quality of the Norinco 1911A1 is superb, and I am not joking. Any of these three choices should leave you plenty of money left for practice ammunition. Regards, Richard

My Springer Mil Spec:

My RIA:

My #2 Norinco:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLrrp View Post

My uncle has a Para-Ord. .45, I loved the look and feel of this "mans" gun.

Can someone enlighten me....?
    Yes, I'd be more than happy to enlighten you!

Honey, a .45 ain't just a "mans" gun!

Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Yes, I'd be more than happy to enlighten you!

Honey, a .45 ain't just a "mans" gun!

Oh SNAP!!!

went there!

+1 on a mil spec springfield to introduce you to .45

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links