The perfect 3" 1911??

This is a discussion on The perfect 3" 1911?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The perfect 3" 1911??

Have these two and both are great...

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

2. Remove Ads

Unhappy

Maybe I need to rethink my Para. On the 102nd shot out of new pistol, the extractor hook broke today.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MoMike View Post
    Maybe I need to rethink my Para. On the 102nd shot out of new pistol, the extractor hook broke today.
    Not a shocker there.... sorry that happened. Para has had a lot of issues in recent years.

I think I got to go with the Colt...and I'm not a Colt fan boy. I also highly recommend the Kimber's, the CDP series in particular.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    This is the greatest number of positive comments I've ever seen about the 3 inch 1911 platform. I'm happy to hear that so many are happy with them. I may start to re-think some of my 5 inch bias.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I have a Para Slim Hawg that has been flawless so far. I have shot a friends Micro Compact (SA) twice. The Micro shoots much smoother. If I had it to do all over I would probably get the Micro. But then again there is a 300 to 400 dollar difference in the price too.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I've my realiable Colt New Agent 45 by my side in either IWB or slide. Very reliable, just have to get used to the trench sight. 800+ rounds with no ftfs.

"had my heart set on a Kimber Ultra Carry but have recently read several threads that have me second guessing a Kimber Ultra II."

I had my heart set on one too, and I went ahead and got one. It's a really nice shooter.

I recently got a Colt New Agent...in fact I just ran a box of ammo through this morning. I like it too, and it's great to carry in a Comp-Tac Two O'Clock appendix holster.

I have a colt defender and the only thing i have a problem with is when it ejects the cartridge hits me in the head... but that is the Only problem i have with it...

No problems with my Ultra Carry. I shoot with 3 other persons that carry one. They haven't had any problems that they have mentioned. Gotta wonder where all these Kimbers are with problems. Mine, and the others I see at my matches all run just fine. I wouldn't make a decision based on information obtained on a forum tho. Good luck!
    str1

VIP Member
    Add me to the list. I carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra II and it has been flawless. I put 200 rounds thru it today.... total round count is now up to 600 and it's been perfect. I can't remember having a problem, with any 1911 platform gun I've owned.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I have a 1998 Colt Defender. I recently replaced it as my primary carry gun because it doesn't run well with hollowpoints. I doubt I'll ever get rid of it, though.

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

kimber ultras, springfield v10, and colt defenders are all excellent choices IMO.
    i have the kimber ultra aegis (9mm) and LOVE it

I have a Kimber Tactical Ultra II with ~5000 rounds through it. The stop on the recoil spring guide snapped, at the weld, at about 4000 rounds. They sent me a new assembly. Turns out the manual recommends replacement every 3000 rounds. Supposedly these can be sent back to Kimber for some credit; normally they are ~$40 Anyway, I love the gun and carry it every day. We bought another for my wife just before she got pregnant so is carrying her H&K until she can start shooting again. I was chastised by a well known instructor (my nickname was Noisy Cricket) for carrying a 3" (he says they are too unreliable), but by the third day of the course he said "that thing seems to be working pretty well for you".

It's got a firm, crisp trigger with a strong reset. I like the trigger better then my Team Match. Keep in mind that all series II Kimbers have a firing pin block that is actuated by the grip safety. I believe this is patented and Colt's pin block is actuated by the trigger. I choose the Tactical version since it has a beveled magazine well and included tritium sites.

I have had a few stove pipes but these were early on (<1000 rounds) and were all with Walmart WWB. I have switched to Sellier and Bellot for purchased practice ammo and have had no problems. Carry ammo is Hornaday TAP (JHP) which runs fine but i have shot very little of it since it's +P and expensive.

aji
    Have Kimber Ultra CDP II for about 1 1/2 years. No problems.

My son has a Colt Defender and likes it, no complaints.

I have a GI Micro from Springfield with just over 4,000 rounds and it's a good runner. Feeds everything well except +P stuff which the manual says to avoid. Didn't need to replace the springs until close to 3,000 rounds when it started throwing an occasional flyer. Get's carried a lot, one of my favorites!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links